Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Accessories & Storage
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 29th of January 2007 (Mon)   #1
SunTsu

Default What's the lightest table top tripod that will hold a 5D?

I'm looking for something really light for travel. Does anyone have any recommendations for a really light table top tripod that I can easily fit in my camera bag? It would need to support a Canon 5D and lens which is about 3 pounds, 12 ounces.
SunTsu is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 29th of January 2007 (Mon)   #2
Woolburr
Mr. PMS Himself

Location: The Tupperware capitol of eastern Oregon...Leicester, NC!
Default Re: What's the lightest table top tripod that will hold a 5D?

I don't know that there really are many that I would trust my camera on.
Woolburr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th of January 2007 (Tue)   #3
atomick

What about the Joby Gorillapod SLR-Zoom? It's supposed to support 6.6 pounds, and has gotten rave reviews (Amazon, review with video at FinalCutTips) thus far, and weighs 8.5 ounces.

A smaller, cheaper version is on my to-buy list for off-camera flash use, so sorry, no direct experience with it that I can share.
atomick is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 30th of January 2007 (Tue)   #4
blam

http://www.thecamerastore.com/Produc...roductID=31903

what about these bean bag ones? i dont know if you could put a long lens on one though
http://www.onthelam.ca
blam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th of January 2007 (Tue)   #5
SunTsu

I think I'll order this one from BH. I'll let you guys know how it works out after.

Cullmann Kobold Compact Tabletop Tripod/Monopod with 2-Way Pan Head (Quick Release)

It says it will support the weight of the camera, but I think I'll still make sure there are not strong winds nearby.
Old 30th of January 2007 (Tue)   #6
SunTsu

So I've heard what great customer service B&H has and I have to share my experience too because good service is SO rare nowadys.
I called them three days ago to add two items to my order. They called me back and said the whole order was on hold pending verification. So I called them today and then at the same time, I got an email saying the order had been shipped...without the two items I had added.

So I asked if he could do something for me on the shipping....he asks his supervisor...next thing you know, he says he'll waive the shipping for the additional items. I don't care so much about the mistake because mistakes happen, but what I do care about is that they fixed the problem. So far, they've gained another loyal customer and I think they're doing the right thing because loyal customers in this segment could mean thousands of dollars in business up the road. I know I'm already thinking of getting the 5D replacement and god knows how many more lenses.

So if anyone from B&H is reading this, please keep up the great service.
Old 30th of January 2007 (Tue)   #7
michael_
Goldmember

this is what i will get eventually.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=163877&is=REG

Quote:
Novoflex MiniPod Table Top (Tabletop) Tripod
The Minipod offers maximum stability combined with unprecedented flexibility in a compact package.

This is achieved by means of the individually variable angle at which each of the legs can be set. Preset positions for angles of 30, 60 and 90 enable the user to adjust the Minipod's position perfectly to any terrain, especially when working at very low levels. Tilt capacity is up to 135.

The Minipod can comfortably support equipment weighing up to 10 kg (22 lb). Together with a strong ballhead you can easily hold ultrafast telephoto lenses with large bodies.

Optional leg extensions available.
Old 30th of January 2007 (Tue)   #8
michael_
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunTsu View Post
So I've heard what great customer service B&H has and I have to share my experience too because good service is SO rare nowadys.
I called them three days ago to add two items to my order. They called me back and said the whole order was on hold pending verification. So I called them today and then at the same time, I got an email saying the order had been shipped...without the two items I had added.

So I asked if he could do something for me on the shipping....he asks his supervisor...next thing you know, he says he'll waive the shipping for the additional items. I don't care so much about the mistake because mistakes happen, but what I do care about is that they fixed the problem. So far, they've gained another loyal customer and I think they're doing the right thing because loyal customers in this segment could mean thousands of dollars in business up the road. I know I'm already thinking of getting the 5D replacement and god knows how many more lenses.

So if anyone from B&H is reading this, please keep up the great service.
They are great, i placed an order two days ago and realised i ordered the wrong damn sized adapter, i rang to obtain a remittance # so i could send it back, when the customer service guy realised i was from australia he asked for my number and said he would call me back so i didnt spend my money on a call, gave me a remittance number and said he would give me 28 days to send the item back as opposed to 14 and will ship the right filter for me for free when they get this one back, B&H are awesome.
Old 30th of January 2007 (Tue)   #9
SkipD
Cream of the Crop

What's important with a tabletop tripod is not so much the amount of weight that it wil support, but how wide the "feet" are spaced apart. The problem with using SLR cameras with most tabletop tripods is that the center of gravity of the camera/lens is so far to one side or another that the little tripods just cannot safely support the rig. The entire rig often wants to tip over.
SkipD is offline   Reply With Quote