FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Thread started 31 Jan 2007 (Wednesday) 10:28   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

sWampy
Joined Sep 2006
326 posts
Mississippi
[MORE/SHARE]

I don't get what A-DEP mode is designed for, how is it different from P, other than seeming to always using all focus points?

Post #1, Jan 31, 2007 10:28:39

400D, 50D, 7D, 550ex, 420ex, 380ex, 50mm f/1.4, 17-85 EFS, 70-200 L f/2.8, 28-70 L f/2.8, 100-400L http://www.melodysphot​os.comexternal link
http://www.facebook.co​m/melodysphotosexternal link

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
gjl711
human (barely) and bribable
Joined Aug 2006
48,194 posts
Deep in the heart of Texas
[MORE/SHARE]

It tries to analyze the frame to ascertain what the depth of field should be using all of the focus points. Then it adjusts the camera so that the DOF covers as many as it can. Sometimes it gets it right, and sometimes not.

Post #2, Jan 31, 2007 10:35:59

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger, then it hit me
::Flickr::external link
::Gear::

flying...
Joined Jun 2006
115 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

macro? i think it help u to choose the 'perfect' aperture to get your subject in focus end to end...but...u take the pic or the camera?

Post #3, Jan 31, 2007 10:36:31

Leave some comments on my flickr, PLEASE. Thanks
-My Flickr...NEW!!!external link
Gear:
30d, 10-22, 18-55, 50/1.8, 580ex2

gjl711
human (barely) and bribable
Joined Aug 2006
48,194 posts
Deep in the heart of Texas
[MORE/SHARE]

I think serious macro is all manual. The camera can guess what you have in mind but it has no way of knowing. With macro where DOF is so small to begin with, I could easily see the camera deciding that the surface that the bug is standing on is more import and the spidies eyes because more focus points tell it so. Na, macro = manual.

Post #4, Jan 31, 2007 10:43:24

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger, then it hit me
::Flickr::external link
::Gear::

Jim_T
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2003
3,242 posts
Woodlands, MB, Canada
[MORE/SHARE]

A-DEP = Auto depth of field.

All the focus squares are used to find the nearest and farthest objects in your viewfinder. The camera then calculates the best setting to give you the ideal depth of field.

To be honest, I've never had a need for it :) I've managed to figure out how to get a good DOF using Av mode through reading and lots of practice.

Post #5, Jan 31, 2007 11:22:15

sponsored links
vjack
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2005
1,602 posts
Mississippi, USA
[MORE/SHARE]

I'd like some clarification on this one too. Specifically, what is the difference between A-DEP and shooting at hyperfocal distance? It seems like either could be used when the scene includes several figures/objects at various distances. Is this what A-DEP is intended for?

Post #6, Mar 19, 2007 19:14:51 as a reply to Jim_T's post 1 month earlier.

Canon 20D
Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM
Sigma 18-125mm f/3.5-5.6 DC
Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 XR Di LD
Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II
Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L

Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6
L IS
Canon Speedlite 430EX
Manfrotto 3021BPRO; Kirk BH-1 ballhead
Canon Pixma 4200
< see my galleryexternal link >

folville
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2006
1,022 posts
MN
[MORE/SHARE]

It's my understanding that everything aside from M, TV, and AV is pretty much worthless. I suppose it does an all right job of getting the right DOF, but only if there's enough light available to stop down the aperture properly.

Post #7, Mar 19, 2007 19:24:37

135mm f/2.8 SF for sale

CoolToolGuy
Boosting Ruler Sales
Joined Aug 2003
4,175 posts
Maryland, USA
[MORE/SHARE]

I could have used it yesterday, but I was shooting too quickly. I was shooting a kids' play at church, and the whole cast was lined up on the stage, from end to end, and I was all the way to one side of the stage. Between the two performances and dress rehearsal I got at least one good shot, but A-DEP would have figured out the aperture for me to get all the kids in focus.

Sure, you can set these things yourself, but the automation many times does it for you with less fuss. If I was shooting a lot of shots like that it would have been to my benefit to use it, especially in dim light. But with just one or two shots, it takes some time to take the camera from my eye and turn the knob to A-DEP, and then back again to P.

Have Fun,

Post #8, Mar 19, 2007 19:41:30 as a reply to folville's post 16 minutes earlier.

Rick

My Gear list

CoolToolGuy
Boosting Ruler Sales
Joined Aug 2003
4,175 posts
Maryland, USA
[MORE/SHARE]

folville wrote in post #2897786external link
It's my understanding that everything aside from M, TV, and AV is pretty much worthless. I suppose it does an all right job of getting the right DOF, but only if there's enough light available to stop down the aperture properly.

[geezerville]When my only camera was an F1 I used to set everything (shutter, aperture, focus) myself. I became good at it, and got acceptable, even great, results. When the A1 came out I got one as a "second" camera. After becoming familiar with it, the F1 was relegated to the second body role, and the A1 was the prime. "P" mode really did a great job, and I only broke out the F1 in truly difficult situations, or when needing a special attachment.[/geezervil​le]

You may see those other modes as worthless, but I can assure you they work well, and can serve as a good tool. In "P" mode you can adjust the aperture with the finger dial near the shutter button and get effect you desire, and over/under exposure with the thumb wheel or buttons on the Rebels. Personally, I'm glad they are there.

Have Fun,

Post #9, Mar 19, 2007 19:56:59

Rick

My Gear list

RikWriter
Goldmember
Joined May 2004
3,545 posts
Lakeland, FL
[MORE/SHARE]

folville wrote in post #2897786external link
It's my understanding that everything aside from M, TV, and AV is pretty much worthless.

Your understanding is flawed.

Post #10, Mar 19, 2007 20:18:01

My gear: 7D, 70D, Tamron 28-75 f2.8, Canon 100-400L IS, 500mm f4L IS, 1.4X II TC.
My pics:
www.pbase.com/rikwrite​r

folville
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2006
1,022 posts
MN
[MORE/SHARE]

RikWriter wrote in post #2898209external link
Your understanding is flawed.

I fail to see what any of the other modes (excluding P, which I should probably have included) offer that is really worthwhile to the average user - or, shall we say - average POTN member.

All too often I see people struggle getting good photos or using flash when it's unnecessary because the camera's automatic modes are simply incapable of properly metering so many lighting situations (then again, so are a lot of people). I'm not saying Canon should throw out the automatic modes; they're probably just fine for what some people need, but I would think that most serious amateurs have both the knowledge and the skill to improve their photos by using modes in the 'creative zone.'

I'm all ears, tell me about A-DEP and the like! ;)

Post #11, Mar 19, 2007 20:38:52

135mm f/2.8 SF for sale

sponsored links
Apollo11
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2007
1,548 posts
WNY
[MORE/SHARE]

Wasn't it originally designed to get two focus points and have everthing from those two points and in between in focus? A three step process, two involving the choosing of focus spots in the frame, and the other to take the picture, using the aperture the camera has chosen to have the depth of field you need by the two points you chose.

It is a nice feature to have on a camera, but one I never use. I always stay on P, AV, TV and M.

Post #12, Mar 19, 2007 21:35:14 as a reply to folville's post 56 minutes earlier.

Andrew
gear list

Hermeto
Cream of the Crop
Joined Oct 2005
6,674 posts
Toronto, Canada
[MORE/SHARE]
banned

Never.
I tried it once of twice and I didn’t like it for some reason.
In most cases I just guesstimate hyperfocal distance and shoot Av..
I don't shoot a lot of landscapes tho'.

Post #13, Mar 19, 2007 21:36:55

What we see depends mainly on what we look for.

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2002
19,853 posts
Southeastern WI, USA
[MORE/SHARE]

A-DEP is NOT on my list of features that will ever get used....

It's in the same class as the built-in flash, "green box" mode, etc.

It's that simple.

Post #14, Mar 19, 2007 21:40:21

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and almost 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

vondo
Joined Jan 2007
374 posts
Aurora, IL
[MORE/SHARE]

Apollo11 wrote in post #2898684external link
Wasn't it originally designed to get two focus points and have everthing from those two points and in between in focus? A three step process, two involving the choosing of focus spots in the frame, and the other to take the picture, using the aperture the camera has chosen to have the depth of field you need by the two points you chose.

It is a nice feature to have on a camera, but one I never use. I always stay on P, AV, TV and M.

That was DEP and can be quite useful. You put the center point on (or, using eye control, look at) the nearest object, push the button, do the same for the second object, recompose, and shoot. Very handy. A-DEP? Not so much.

Post #15, Mar 19, 2007 21:45:45

Canon 5DMkII, 7D, 40D, Elan 7E, EOS 10s, G12
50 f/1.8, 100 f/2, 400 f/5.6L,
18-55 IS, 24-105 f/4L IS, 70-200 f/4L IS
Kenko 1.4x T-con, 430EX

LIST NEARBY THREADS
42,847 views & 0 likes for this thread
When would you use A-DEP?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES