Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 31st of January 2007 (Wed)   #1
sWampy

Default When would you use A-DEP?

I don't get what A-DEP mode is designed for, how is it different from P, other than seeming to always using all focus points?
sWampy is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 31st of January 2007 (Wed)   #2
gjl711
human (barely) and bribable

Default Re: When would you use A-DEP?

It tries to analyze the frame to ascertain what the depth of field should be using all of the focus points. Then it adjusts the camera so that the DOF covers as many as it can. Sometimes it gets it right, and sometimes not.
gjl711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st of January 2007 (Wed)   #3
flying...

macro? i think it help u to choose the 'perfect' aperture to get your subject in focus end to end...but...u take the pic or the camera?

Gear:
30d, 10-22, 18-55, 50/1.8, 580ex2
flying... is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 31st of January 2007 (Wed)   #4
gjl711
human (barely) and bribable

I think serious macro is all manual. The camera can guess what you have in mind but it has no way of knowing. With macro where DOF is so small to begin with, I could easily see the camera deciding that the surface that the bug is standing on is more import and the spidies eyes because more focus points tell it so. Na, macro = manual.
gjl711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st of January 2007 (Wed)   #5
Jim_T
Goldmember

A-DEP = Auto depth of field.

All the focus squares are used to find the nearest and farthest objects in your viewfinder. The camera then calculates the best setting to give you the ideal depth of field.

To be honest, I've never had a need for it I've managed to figure out how to get a good DOF using Av mode through reading and lots of practice.
Jim_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th of March 2007 (Mon)   #6
vjack

I'd like some clarification on this one too. Specifically, what is the difference between A-DEP and shooting at hyperfocal distance? It seems like either could be used when the scene includes several figures/objects at various distances. Is this what A-DEP is intended for?

Canon 20D
Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM
Sigma 18-125mm f/3.5-5.6 DC
Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 XR Di LD
Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II
Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L

Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6
L IS
Canon Speedlite 430EX
Manfrotto 3021BPRO; Kirk BH-1 ballhead
Canon Pixma 4200

< see my gallery >
vjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th of March 2007 (Mon)   #7
folville

It's my understanding that everything aside from M, TV, and AV is pretty much worthless. I suppose it does an all right job of getting the right DOF, but only if there's enough light available to stop down the aperture properly.
folville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th of March 2007 (Mon)   #8
CoolToolGuy
Boosting Ruler Sales

I could have used it yesterday, but I was shooting too quickly. I was shooting a kids' play at church, and the whole cast was lined up on the stage, from end to end, and I was all the way to one side of the stage. Between the two performances and dress rehearsal I got at least one good shot, but A-DEP would have figured out the aperture for me to get all the kids in focus.

Sure, you can set these things yourself, but the automation many times does it for you with less fuss. If I was shooting a lot of shots like that it would have been to my benefit to use it, especially in dim light. But with just one or two shots, it takes some time to take the camera from my eye and turn the knob to A-DEP, and then back again to P.

Have Fun,

My Gear list
CoolToolGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th of March 2007 (Mon)   #9
CoolToolGuy
Boosting Ruler Sales

Quote:
Originally Posted by folville View Post
It's my understanding that everything aside from M, TV, and AV is pretty much worthless. I suppose it does an all right job of getting the right DOF, but only if there's enough light available to stop down the aperture properly.
[geezerville]When my only camera was an F1 I used to set everything (shutter, aperture, focus) myself. I became good at it, and got acceptable, even great, results. When the A1 came out I got one as a "second" camera. After becoming familiar with it, the F1 was relegated to the second body role, and the A1 was the prime. "P" mode really did a great job, and I only broke out the F1 in truly difficult situations, or when needing a special attachment.[/geezerville]

You may see those other modes as worthless, but I can assure you they work well, and can serve as a good tool. In "P" mode you can adjust the aperture with the finger dial near the shutter button and get effect you desire, and over/under exposure with the thumb wheel or buttons on the Rebels. Personally, I'm glad they are there.

Have Fun,

My Gear list
CoolToolGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th of March 2007 (Mon)   #10
RikWriter
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by folville View Post
It's my understanding that everything aside from M, TV, and AV is pretty much worthless.

Your understanding is flawed.

My pics:
www.pbase.com/rikwriter
RikWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th of March 2007 (Mon)   #11
folville

Quote:
Originally Posted by RikWriter View Post
Your understanding is flawed.
I fail to see what any of the other modes (excluding P, which I should probably have included) offer that is really worthwhile to the average user - or, shall we say - average POTN member.

All too often I see people struggle getting good photos or using flash when it's unnecessary because the camera's automatic modes are simply incapable of properly metering so many lighting situations (then again, so are a lot of people). I'm not saying Canon should throw out the automatic modes; they're probably just fine for what some people need, but I would think that most serious amateurs have both the knowledge and the skill to improve their photos by using modes in the 'creative zone.'

I'm all ears, tell me about A-DEP and the like!
folville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th of March 2007 (Mon)   #12
Apollo11

Wasn't it originally designed to get two focus points and have everthing from those two points and in between in focus? A three step process, two involving the choosing of focus spots in the frame, and the other to take the picture, using the aperture the camera has chosen to have the depth of field you need by the two points you chose.

It is a nice feature to have on a camera, but one I never use. I always stay on P, AV, TV and M.

Apollo11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th of March 2007 (Mon)   #13
Hermeto
Cream of the Crop

Never.
I tried it once of twice and I didn’t like it for some reason.
In most cases I just guesstimate hyperfocal distance and shoot Av..
I don't shoot a lot of landscapes tho'.
Old 19th of March 2007 (Mon)   #14
SkipD
Cream of the Crop

A-DEP is NOT on my list of features that will ever get used....

It's in the same class as the built-in flash, "green box" mode, etc.

It's that simple.
SkipD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th of March 2007 (Mon)   #15
vondo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollo11 View Post
Wasn't it originally designed to get two focus points and have everthing from those two points and in between in focus? A three step process, two involving the choosing of focus spots in the frame, and the other to take the picture, using the aperture the camera has chosen to have the depth of field you need by the two points you chose.

It is a nice feature to have on a camera, but one I never use. I always stay on P, AV, TV and M.
That was DEP and can be quite useful. You put the center point on (or, using eye control, look at) the nearest object, push the button, do the same for the second object, recompose, and shoot. Very handy. A-DEP? Not so much.
Kenko 1.4x T-con, 430EX
vondo is offline   Reply With Quote