Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Photo Sharing' section > Weddings and Other Family Events
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 5th of February 2007 (Mon)   #1
prairie pics

Default Sharp lens needed for girlfriends wedding - Help!

Could someone help me? I have a 20d & need the sharpest lens that's on the market - I HAVE A BUDGET THOUGH - is the only problem.

It would be nice to stay around the $500 range. Is this possible?? At this point I don't care about brand. You are the experts here - not me.

Please give me some examples to choose from. If the lens you tell me about is over $500, please give me a price...I don't care about retail. I'll use the classifieds if I have to, or ebay. As long as it's in great condition, 2nd hand doesn't bother me.

Thanks for your help.
I really appreciate this.

Teresa
prairie pics is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 5th of February 2007 (Mon)   #2
picturecrazy
soft-hearted weenie-boy

Default Re: Sharp lens needed for girlfriends wedding - Help!

Canon EFs 17-55 F2.8 IS USM.

Sharp sharp sharp from F/2.8 to F/11.

It's gonna cost you about $900-950 though, but worth every penny. Focus speed and accuracy is excellent, low light performance is great.

But if you're gonna be shooting a wedding, I'd be CAREFUL, you might be getting in way over your head.

Read the FAQ: http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...d.php?t=255604
picturecrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th of February 2007 (Mon)   #3
TXLEBER

Tamron 28-75 - $275-$300

If you can stretch it, you can't beat the 17-55 2.8 IS. That thing is SHARP-SHARP-SHARP. It also seems to be getting a lot of VERY good reviews here on the wedding forum. The only problem, It doubles your price range. It's about $875-$950 used. Or $1000 new from BH.

EDIT: See what happens when you type slow...People beat ya to the punch. But what did I say...SHARP-SHAPR-SHARP.

Last edited by TXLEBER : 5th of February 2007 (Mon) at 09:30.
TXLEBER is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 5th of February 2007 (Mon)   #4
Big Mike

What about the 50mm F1.4? Or the 85mm F1.8? The Sigma 30mm F1.4? A prime lens will most likely be 'sharper' than a zoom.

If sharp shots are your goal...then fast shutter speeds and/or good flash lighting will be essential. If you will not or can not use flash...then a fast lens and posibly a mono or tripod will help to maximize sharpness.
Old 5th of February 2007 (Mon)   #5
thekid24
pro-zack-lee

I would say go with a prime (85 f/1.8) because of the low light that, like many weddings, will be present. But on the other hand you wont have the versatility of a zoom. Do you have any other lenses in your collection?
Old 5th of February 2007 (Mon)   #6
prairie pics

I have the 55-200mm 4.5-5.6 II USM & the 50mm 1.8. I use the 55-200 alot. Haven't used the other one yet. I like it though, it's just extremely cold here right now & I don't go outside much to test it.
Old 5th of February 2007 (Mon)   #7
picturecrazy
soft-hearted weenie-boy

It's tough enough for an inexperienced person to shoot a wedding. It would be utter SUICIDE to send a new shooter in with one body and one prime. (your 50mm 1.8 is kinda lousy in low light focusing...)

Seriously, you can shoot an entire wedding with the 17-55. A low light prime @ 1.4 in inexperienced hands will likely yield a lot of shots with the people outside the depth of field.
Hate to be harsh, but if you are limited to $500 to shoot this wedding, tell your friends to hire a professional and let you shoot in the shadows and enjoy the wedding more. Being able to take fantastic pictures of stuff is one thing, but can you consistently take fantastic pictures of people who are constantly running around, rushed, stressed, in dark places, in overly bright places, and you only have about 0.5 seconds to dial settings, get the shot and get it right.... almost every time? This is absolutely NOTHING like landscape, architecture, or studio photography.

Last edited by picturecrazy : 5th of February 2007 (Mon) at 10:27.
picturecrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th of February 2007 (Mon)   #8
ssim
POTN Landscape & Cityscape Photographer 2005

I would agree with the recommendation of the Tamron 28-75 if you want a zoom and budget it a concern. My second would be a variant of the 50mm that you could afford. I think the 85 is going to be way too long for your primary wedding lens, particularly on a 1.6 crop factor body.

Have you considered renting a lens.

Sheldon Simpson | My Gallery | My Gear updated: 20JUL12
ssim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th of February 2007 (Mon)   #9
prairie pics

I have considered that yes, but I would have to go thru the net to get one. I think my closest rental place would probably be MLPS/St Paul area. I am in a very remote area with NO help from anyone.

By the time I factor in shipping, rental, insurance, etc I could just as well bite the bullet & buy the lens. I'd be money ahead in the long run & at least have payments going towards something.
Old 5th of February 2007 (Mon)   #10
prairie pics

As for the 50mm lens that I have, like I said before, I haven't had the chance to fully test it. I have yet to find an application where it's going to be useful. It was just an item that I heard I "had to have". So far, it's been a waste of $80. but I know I should be able to get some money out of it if I sell it again. I think I've only taken 10 shots with it.
Old 5th of February 2007 (Mon)   #11
prairie pics

If I were to go with the Tamron, are my photos going to be nice & sharp? Like a head shot of the couple...for example. Is everything going to be clear - their teeth for instance? Obviously their eyes are of concern too, but that's not my question.
Old 5th of February 2007 (Mon)   #12
CyberPet
Hiding Under a Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by picturecrazy View Post
It's tough enough for an inexperienced person to shoot a wedding. It would be utter SUICIDE to send a new shooter in with one body and one prime. (your 50mm 1.8 is kinda lousy in low light focusing...)

Seriously, you can shoot an entire wedding with the 17-55. A low light prime @ 1.4 in inexperienced hands will likely yield a lot of shots with the people outside the depth of field.
Hate to be harsh, but if you are limited to $500 to shoot this wedding, tell your friends to hire a professional and let you shoot in the shadows and enjoy the wedding more. Being able to take fantastic pictures of stuff is one thing, but can you consistently take fantastic pictures of people who are constantly running around, rushed, stressed, in dark places, in overly bright places, and you only have about 0.5 seconds to dial settings, get the shot and get it right.... almost every time? This is absolutely NOTHING like landscape, architecture, or studio photography.

I would have to agree, even if it sounds harsh. There's no second chances in wedding photography. And sure, the Tamrons are nice, but it can fail you bad, and like I said, no second chances or do-overs.
CyberPet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th of February 2007 (Mon)   #13
thekid24
pro-zack-lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairie pics View Post
I have the 55-200mm 4.5-5.6 II USM & the 50mm 1.8. I use the 55-200 alot. Haven't used the other one yet. I like it though, it's just extremely cold here right now & I don't go outside much to test it.
55-200: Pros: Has the reach so you can blend into the bg. Its not fun having to get up real close to get some shots and the people spin around and give you a cheesy grin when what youre really wanting are candids. Another plus is that you are familiar with it. You know what situations it works best in.
Cons: the 55mm isnt wide enough to get groupings of people unless you have room to move back. Then itll be alright. Also the aperture will hinder the performance because most weddings arent as well lit as we (photogs) may like.
50mm f/1.8: Pros: Its faster. At 1.8 the lack of enough light can be made up with high ISO and keeping the lens wide open. Does take great portraits.
Cons: As stated before, it does have trouble with low light focusing. And if youre wanting to blend into the bg then this lens wont let you. You have to get pretty close which means you might get those cheesy grins.

85 f/1.8: Pros: Very sharp, Ive heard some say there should be a red ring around the end. It would give you more reach over the 50mm. Would allow you to get close to blending in the bg. Faster than the 55-200mm and would be easier to use in the low light situations. And it is in your price range.
Cons: Not enough reach to let you completely blend into the bg. It is a prime so there isnt any versatility. And not ideal for family portraits or large gatherings.

I havent used the 55-200 but I have the 50mm 1.8 and have used but not owned the 85 1.8. And I was just trying to give the pros and cons. Hope it helps and good luck with everything.
Old 5th of February 2007 (Mon)   #14
prairie pics

Thanks. I don't use the 55-200 very often. Only in church when I'm on the balcony...Christmas program, etc with my children.

If I end up getting this 17-55 lens, I don't know if I should sell the zoom then, or keep it.

I like the price tag of the Tamron, but I have a feeling that I'm going to be dissappointed. I did, however, see some really nice wedding photos using the Tamron. But photos can be deceiving viewed on the net.
Old 5th of February 2007 (Mon)   #15
prairie pics

I just realized that I totally contradicted my self. Let me clarify: I use my 55-200 in church alot. Other than that, hardly ever - it's clumsy. But comes in handy if I REALLY need it.