Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 6th of February 2007 (Tue)   #1
Ferco
Goldmember

Question 1.6X crop camera? What does it mean?

Hi have read this in some magazines; about 1.6X crop cameras? Now what exactly is this? Was reading this: http://www.kenrockwell.com/canon/1-6x.htm

And from what I can gather- on a 35mm camera you get more focal length... or is it the other way around... So does this affect me really; if I have a canon 350D and the bigma- 500mm... Is this 500mm or is what I see bigger than 500mm

I'm just curious...
Canon 430ex Flash |
Kenko 1.4x teleconvertor | Extension Tubes | Slik pro 500DX tripod
www.mincher.smugmug.com
Ferco is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 6th of February 2007 (Tue)   #2
foty89

Location: Born in Scotland, live in Binghamton, NY, wait now Newbury Park, CA, wait, now am in Phoenix, AZ....
Default Re: 1.6X crop camera? What does it mean?

You multiply the focal length of the lens by 1.6 to get the effective focal length of the lens when used with a crop camera, such as the Rebel XT/350. The Bigma is effectively 80-800.
Old 6th of February 2007 (Tue)   #3
CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)

It's explained in Both the EOS FAQ and the EF Lens FAQ.
CyberDyneSystems is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 6th of February 2007 (Tue)   #4
BrandonSi
Goldmember

on 35mm film the portion that gets exposed is ~ 24mm x 36mm, and 35mm lenses are designed to create this size of an image on the surface of the film. On a 1.6 crop camera,
(like your 350D), the sensor size is ~15mm x 22mm, which means the same 35mm lens produces an image that is too big for the 1.6x sensor, and that sensor only gets the middle of the actual 35mm frame.. or that the image on your 350D is magnified 1.6x what it would be on the 35mm frame.

You don't technically get more focal length, you get a narrower field of view.

I found this picture a while ago, maybe it will help..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Crop Factor.jpg (34.9 KB, 323 views)
Old 6th of February 2007 (Tue)   #5
Choderboy
I Chimp, therefore I am

It's really surprising that you have meade over 2000 posts , have been a forum member for over 1 year and ask this question.
It's so surprising, I wondered if somebody is playing a joke on you (left your brwoser open while using PC at work?)

If this is not the case , I apologise. I just suspected this MIGHT be a troll.

This would have to be the most hotly debated , most often asked , etc etc topic on these forums. There are lots of stickies.

Anyway , if it was an honest question you'll have no problems finding hundreds (thousands) of posts on these forums.
Choderboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th of February 2007 (Tue)   #6
samsen
Cream of the Crop

Choderboy; The only stupid question is the one that one has and doesn't ask.
Samsen
samsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th of February 2007 (Tue)   #7
SkipD
Cream of the Crop

Check out this link for a description of the "crop factor" and what it means.
SkipD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th of February 2007 (Tue)   #8
Lord_Malone
Cream of the Manpanties........ Inventor Great POTN Photo Book

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choderboy View Post
It's really surprising that you have meade over 2000 posts , have been a forum member for over 1 year and ask this question.
It's so surprising, I wondered if somebody is playing a joke on you (left your brwoser open while using PC at work?)

This would have to be the most hotly debated , most often asked , etc etc topic on these forums. There are lots of stickies.

Anyway , if it was an honest question you'll have no problems finding hundreds (thousands) of posts on these forums.
Give the kid a break, Dave.

He's 15 years old and most of his post have been comments on other people's work. He asks alot of questions, but doesn't contribute any answers. We need to nuture and develop his young mind. And I don't suspect he's trolling or trying to stir things up (like me).
Lord_Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th of July 2013 (Sun)   #9
exsubmariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choderboy View Post

I just joined this site. Thankfully the nature of your post seems to be in the minority. I hope in the intervening six years you have learned some wisdom and that the object of your scorn has learned to disregard ill-informed, self-centred bludgers.
exsubmariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th of July 2013 (Sun)   #10
mwsilver
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by exsubmariner View Post
I just joined this site. Thankfully the nature of your post seems to be in the minority. I hope in the intervening six years you have learned some wisdom and that the object of your scorn has learned to disregard ill-informed, self-centred bludgers.
This is your first post and you use it to dredge up a thread that been dead for six and a half years and then proceed to admonish one of the members of this forum because you didn't like the tone of his message in early 2007? In this whole huge forum that was the most pressing thing for you to comment on? I'm sure you can do better than that.

Canon 60D, T3i, T2i, Sigma18-35 f/1.8, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, Canon EFs 15-85, EFs 18-200, EF 50mm f/1.8, Tamron 18-270 PZD, B+W MRC CPL, Canon 320EX, Vanguard Alta Pro 254CT & SBH 250 head. RODE Stereo Videomic Pro, Lightroom 5, Elements 11

Last edited by mwsilver : 14th of July 2013 (Sun) at 20:31.
mwsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th of July 2013 (Sun)   #11
Max Headroom

Ferco,
The link that Skip Douglas provided explains it really well in my view.
Max Headroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th of July 2013 (Sun)   #12
krb
Cream of the Crop

Location: Where southern efficiency and northern charm come together

Max and David, look at the date of the post you are responding to...
Gear list
krb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th of July 2013 (Mon)   #13
John from PA
Cream of the Crop

Sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words.

Go to http://lens-reviews.com/Technical-Ta...tion-tool.html. Along the bottom left edge you will see a series of crop factors rangeing from "Full frame" to 2X crop. As you click across you will see the frame on the picture vary showing you what you will get with the selected crop factor.

You should be aware of the effect on field of view with the crop factor of your camera. When you see that great magazine photo taken with a 50mm lens on a 5DMkIII for instance, don't necessarily run out to buy the same lens if you own a 60D because the field of view will be equivalent to 80mm. You need to buy something in the ballpark of 30mm to capture the same subject as shown in the magazine field of view.
John from PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th of July 2013 (Mon)   #14
TeamSpeed
Cream of the Crop

Can't we just let this 6+ year old topic die?
TeamSpeed is online now   Reply With Quote