Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > The Business of Photography
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 9th of February 2007 (Fri)   #1
CanonCam

Default Youth Sports League Contracts

Hello,
I am in need of a little advice (I know, aren't we all!) I have been awarded the photography job for a local youth baseball league that I put a bid in for. Since the league itself is not paying but the parents, do I need a contract with the league? If so, I have poured over several books, etc. to find a pre-made template with no luck. For those of you who do these sports leagues and are willing to share your ideas (I understand if you don't, I hesitated to post this), what do you do?

Thanks!

Cam
Old 9th of February 2007 (Fri)   #2
IndyJeff

Default Re: Youth Sports League Contracts

You say you put in a bid, for what? What do you give and what does the league get as part of your "bid"?
Old 10th of February 2007 (Sat)   #3
CanonCam

Basically they wanted a pricelist and some sample photos submitted and they like to have the sponsor plaques paid for. I also offered a set amount of action photos that I normally do during the season for their website that they are in the process of building. I suppose the word "bid" didn't necessarily apply. I just tried to sweeten the pot a little to get the job. I will get nothing tangible from the league, just the job.

Thanks for the reply!
Old 10th of February 2007 (Sat)   #4
IndyJeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanonCam View Post
Basically they wanted a pricelist and some sample photos submitted and they like to have the sponsor plaques paid for. I also offered a set amount of action photos that I normally do during the season for their website that they are in the process of building. I suppose the word "bid" didn't necessarily apply. I just tried to sweeten the pot a little to get the job. I will get nothing tangible from the league, just the job.

Thanks for the reply!
Ok, then you put in writing what you will do and what they get from you. Also be sure to include that they promote you to the parents. Basically you want to have it so that later in the season they can't come back and say "hey you were supposed to gives us prints of our kids for free" or something.

It is very easy to agree on this and that, shake hands and everybody thinks things are great. Then when party A remembers something different from party B, it is ones word against the other. If you have it in writing and signed by both parties, there is nothing to object to.
I would also include in the agreement that no verbal agreements are binding in any way.

And hopefully you are not being offered the chance to "donate" back to the league from your profits.
Old 10th of February 2007 (Sat)   #5
CanonCam

Thanks again, Jeff. I read your pm before reading your post here so disregard on my question of your contracts. This answers what I needed. Thanks again!
Old 11th of February 2007 (Sun)   #6
MJPhotos24
Cream of the Crop

I did the same thing, gave them a price list which I made cheaper by a buck or two on each thing than there previous company. They gave me the deals but nothing was written in a contract, but like mentioned above it should have been. After I shot all the pics for the first season (spring) and had them at the printer they asked about the "free plaques" I was supposed to be giving to the teams sponsors. Well that was something never talked to me about, I didn't know about any plaques and just assumed the league took care of them. Also, something they forgot to mention was that coaches get free 5x7 prints.

Luckily I'm local, know all the heads of the leagues so it wasn't a big deal, we worked out a deal that the league paid for the plaques and I got the coaches there 5x7 photos which was no big deal. Now, if I was out of town doing a league I definately would have had more problems I think in this and recommend a contract or somethng in writing stating exactly what you are providing. Cover all the bases, maybe have a blanket one and you and the commisioner fill out the form together as to what you do get, and what they don't get.

Several photogs now "donate" back to the league, which I don't because my profit margin is razor thin. If they ask about that, I'd tell them that you'll give x-amount each order but then raise your package prices up to compensate it. Especially if your profit margins are low - we have one guy who charges $64 a package that costs him about $3 - now that guy should be giving back!!! My $12 package that costs me $6 - umm, no!
MJPhotos24 is offline   Reply With Quote