Do you do your sharpening in RAW?

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing
Thread started 15 Feb 2007 (Thursday) 13:31   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

NorCalAl
Joined Sep 2006
966 posts
Paradise, CA, USA
[MORE/SHARE]

Or once it's converted? If you do sharpening in RAW, do you find differences in the different converters?
I wondered about conversion programs before and found that many, many folks asked the same questions and much like the 24-105 vs 24-70 debate, most folks had grown weary of answering yet another post on conversion apps.
But what I'm really wondering - and was then, too, just worded it poorly - is if you do your sharpening in RAW, do you find that you like one converter app over another? Or perhaps more importantly, is there an app you feel does a poor job of RAW sharpening?
I like the sharpening options in DxO, but find the app is very slow. Bibble is really fast, but the sharpening leaves much to be desired. And DPP is fast, has good (to me) sharpening, but lacks some of the flexibility of both Bibble and DxO. Then there's Lightroom...seems to sharpen well, pretty fast and has lots of flexibility.
I'd really love to just use one app, but it seems that different shots demand different processing. Or am I making too much of it?

Post #1, Feb 15, 2007 13:31:14

Gear List

Nikon, the dark adventure begins...

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
Joined Apr 2003
40,772 posts
Providence RI
[MORE/SHARE]

I tend to do it only in PSCS after conversion.. but there are times I will do it in the raw converter.. particularly when I used to work with Captrue 1

Post #2, Feb 15, 2007 13:41:13

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
My POTN Share Threads
Jake Hegnauer Photographyexternal link

drogos
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2007
1,218 posts
CHICAGO
[MORE/SHARE]

i always do sharpening in Phase one capture to get a "usable " file and than if necessary i add some sharpnesss to eyes in ps ...it's tricky since what you see in phase one is not what you see afterwards in ps ...algorythm for sharpening is pretty strange and it almost looks like sharpening setting is override by some defaults ...so i tent to oversharpen in phase one (200%) to get just right on the spot in ps ..but well i guess there is never to late for sharpening but it can be defenetly to early at times

Post #3, Feb 15, 2007 14:07:30 as a reply to CyberDyneSystems's post 26 minutes earlier.

Lukasz Drogowski
Chicago Wedding Photographerexternal link
canon MARK III / 5D II / 5d / 24-70L, 50 1.4, 85 1.2 M2, 70-200 2.8 IS, Sigma 20mm 1.8 / 580ex / 580exII / 600ex

Bodog
Goldmember
Joined Feb 2004
1,306 posts
Peculiar, MO
[MORE/SHARE]

Something I read on some post processing guru's website (can't remember which) struck me as meaningful: Only sharpen enough at the conversion stage to offset any blurring caused by the de-mosaicing filter. I find that the default setting in C1 does a good job in that respect. Any further sharpening should be done after the conversion and depends on the individual image and it's intended use.

Post #4, Feb 15, 2007 14:23:07 as a reply to drogos's post 15 minutes earlier.

JimE
Color? It's all relative...

memorex88
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2006
1,472 posts
Montreal, Quebec Canada
[MORE/SHARE]

I don't but I asked my wife if I could take a pic of her sharpening a knife in the nude, She refused :(

Post #5, Feb 15, 2007 14:40:44 as a reply to Bodog's post 17 minutes earlier.

Marco
My Gear

sponsored links
cosworth
I'm comfortable with my masculinity
Joined Jul 2005
10,929 posts
Duncan, BC, Canada
[MORE/SHARE]

Hell no.

My sharpening is the last step in PP and involves an action with about 40 steps. RAW sharpening is not that precise.

Post #6, Feb 15, 2007 14:42:25

people will always try to stop you doing the right thing if it is unconventional
Full frame and some primes.

ssim
POTN Landscape & Cityscape Photographer 2005
Joined Apr 2003
10,884 posts
southern Alberta, Canada
[MORE/SHARE]

Depends on the image. I will sometimes give a very slight amount of sharpening in C1 Pro at the time I do my conversion.

It has long been the standard that sharpening should be your very last step in your post processing workflow. In the past year though, I have seen some of those same people say that they have started to do some very light sharpening at the time of conversion. Things do change and the software applications that support this sharpening have made progress as well.

This really boils down to a personal preference and how good your final product is. If doing an initial amount of sharpening works for you and the image benefits from it, I don't see an issue with doing it.

Post #7, Feb 15, 2007 16:58:15 as a reply to cosworth's post 2 hours earlier.

My life is like one big RAW file....way too much post processing needed.
Sheldon Simpson | My Galleryexternal link | My Gear updated: 20JUL12

bsmotril
Goldmember
Joined Feb 2006
2,348 posts
Austin TX
[MORE/SHARE]

Sharpening is one of the areas where Photoshop is superior to RAW. Most of the operations you do in RAW don't change the actual raw data, they just affect the metadata putting markers there that tells Photoshop how to do the Gamma correction, and present the image by way of setting the dark and highlight points in the data set. When you sharpen, you are actually changing pixel data, which is what PS does. When you sharpen in raw, all you do is change the way the thumbnail and JPEG image are presented on your screen, no pixel data is changed (or lost, which is the real benefit of adjusting all your levels, color, contrast, exposure, etc in RAW vs PS). Do your sharpening as your last processing step.

Post #8, Feb 15, 2007 17:03:58

Gear List
Galleries: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/smopho/external link --- http://billsmotrilla.z​enfolio.com/external link

Beau ­ Hudspeth
-Cool Title-
Joined Aug 2005
2,746 posts
On the "Highway to 'L' " with a cardboard sign reading - "Will photoshop for food" - Beaverton, Or.
[MORE/SHARE]

cosworth wrote in post #2714171external link
My sharpening is the last step in PP and involves an action with about 40 steps.

I'm curious to see that action please! :eek:

Post #9, Feb 15, 2007 21:20:47

Photoshop Action SetMy Flickrexternal link

cgratti
Lord_Malone, your still a newb...
Joined Feb 2004
3,315 posts
E-A-G-L-E-S - EAGLES
[MORE/SHARE]

Dont sharpen in RAW, there is a better way to sharpen in PS.

Duplicate the layer.
Click FILTER>OTHER>HIGH PASS and at 7.0
The picture will now look Chrome and ugly.
Set the BLENDING MODE in the layers palette to SOFT OVERLAY and viola!

Post #10, Feb 15, 2007 22:04:58

Canon 30D

Canon 10D
Canon 28-105 f/3.5-4.5 II USM
Apple iMac G5

Pete
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jul 2006
38,607 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

No, Sharpening in ACR won't be much good at all. Although it's useful to start your noise reduction there.

I've found that actions and recipies for sharpening will give you acceptable, but not good results. The best sharpening is when it's tailored for the image itself (and even then targeted for parts of the image that actually need it). Multi-pass sharpening is the way to go, if you can spend the time doing it.

Post #11, Feb 16, 2007 06:17:58

Pete
UK SE Catch of the Day

sponsored links
peber
Joined Oct 2006
248 posts
Sweden
[MORE/SHARE]

Pete wrote in post #2717723external link
No, Sharpening in ACR won't be much good at all. Although it's useful to start your noise reduction there.

I've found that actions and recipies for sharpening will give you acceptable, but not good results. The best sharpening is when it's tailored for the image itself (and even then targeted for parts of the image that actually need it). Multi-pass sharpening is the way to go, if you can spend the time doing it.

Slightly OT, is there a tutorial somewhere how to do multi-pass sharpening?

/Per

Post #12, Feb 16, 2007 06:25:39

IT Consultant by trade, photographer by heart

tim
Light Bringer
Joined Nov 2004
49,511 posts
Wellington, New Zealand
[MORE/SHARE]

I'm a wedding photographer, I only occasionally sharpen. I've done my experiments, in print, not at the almost useless 100% view in photoshop. Take a look at the prints if you do and don't sharpen, after that you'll worry less. That's a good general rule: try it every way you can think of, print it, if your wife/girlfriend/whatev​er can't tell them apart then miss the step out, it's not important.

Post #13, Feb 16, 2007 06:55:28

NZIPP Qualified Professional wedding photographer.
Wellington Wedding Photographerexternal link ~ Camera and Lens Reviewsexternal link ~ Photographers Tech Supportexternal link
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

mace0002
Joined Dec 2006
156 posts
Maine
[MORE/SHARE]

Beau Hudspeth wrote in post #2715966external link
I'm curious to see that action please! :eek:

I would too!!

Post #14, Feb 16, 2007 07:21:42

be well,
Stace
www.staceydamonphotogr​aphy.comexternal link
www.myspace.com/stacey​damonexternal link

SuzyView
Cream of the Crop
Joined Oct 2005
31,755 posts
Northern VA
[MORE/SHARE]

Never sharpen in RAW, only in PS.

Post #15, Feb 16, 2007 07:23:16

Suzie - Still Speaking Canonese!
5D2 :lol:7D :D SL1 (6/14) & G12, the iPad2, iPhone 5 :), 5 L's & 2 Primes 23 bags.
My children are the reason, but it's the passion that drives me to get the perfect image of everything.
My Gear and Wishes

LIST NEARBY THREADS
5,453 views & 0 likes for this thread
Do you do your sharpening in RAW?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES