Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > RAW, Post Processing and Printing
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 15th of February 2007 (Thu)   #1
NorCalAl

Default Do you do your sharpening in RAW?

Or once it's converted? If you do sharpening in RAW, do you find differences in the different converters?
I wondered about conversion programs before and found that many, many folks asked the same questions and much like the 24-105 vs 24-70 debate, most folks had grown weary of answering yet another post on conversion apps.
But what I'm really wondering - and was then, too, just worded it poorly - is if you do your sharpening in RAW, do you find that you like one converter app over another? Or perhaps more importantly, is there an app you feel does a poor job of RAW sharpening?
I like the sharpening options in DxO, but find the app is very slow. Bibble is really fast, but the sharpening leaves much to be desired. And DPP is fast, has good (to me) sharpening, but lacks some of the flexibility of both Bibble and DxO. Then there's Lightroom...seems to sharpen well, pretty fast and has lots of flexibility.
I'd really love to just use one app, but it seems that different shots demand different processing. Or am I making too much of it?

Nikon, the dark adventure begins...
NorCalAl is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 15th of February 2007 (Thu)   #2
CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)

Default Re: Do you do your sharpening in RAW?

I tend to do it only in PSCS after conversion.. but there are times I will do it in the raw converter.. particularly when I used to work with Captrue 1
CyberDyneSystems is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th of February 2007 (Thu)   #3
drogos

i always do sharpening in Phase one capture to get a "usable " file and than if necessary i add some sharpnesss to eyes in ps ...it's tricky since what you see in phase one is not what you see afterwards in ps ...algorythm for sharpening is pretty strange and it almost looks like sharpening setting is override by some defaults ...so i tent to oversharpen in phase one (200%) to get just right on the spot in ps ..but well i guess there is never to late for sharpening but it can be defenetly to early at times
drogos is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 15th of February 2007 (Thu)   #4
Bodog

Something I read on some post processing guru's website (can't remember which) struck me as meaningful: Only sharpen enough at the conversion stage to offset any blurring caused by the de-mosaicing filter. I find that the default setting in C1 does a good job in that respect. Any further sharpening should be done after the conversion and depends on the individual image and it's intended use.

Last edited by Bodog : 16th of February 2007 (Fri) at 00:11. Reason: clarity
Bodog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th of February 2007 (Thu)   #5
memorex88

I don't but I asked my wife if I could take a pic of her sharpening a knife in the nude, She refused

My Gear
memorex88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th of February 2007 (Thu)   #6
cosworth
I'm comfortable with my masculinity

Hell no.

My sharpening is the last step in PP and involves an action with about 40 steps. RAW sharpening is not that precise.

Full frame and some primes.
cosworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th of February 2007 (Thu)   #7
ssim
POTN Landscape & Cityscape Photographer 2005

Depends on the image. I will sometimes give a very slight amount of sharpening in C1 Pro at the time I do my conversion.

It has long been the standard that sharpening should be your very last step in your post processing workflow. In the past year though, I have seen some of those same people say that they have started to do some very light sharpening at the time of conversion. Things do change and the software applications that support this sharpening have made progress as well.

This really boils down to a personal preference and how good your final product is. If doing an initial amount of sharpening works for you and the image benefits from it, I don't see an issue with doing it.

Sheldon Simpson | My Gallery | My Gear updated: 20JUL12
ssim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th of February 2007 (Thu)   #8
bsmotril
Goldmember

Sharpening is one of the areas where Photoshop is superior to RAW. Most of the operations you do in RAW don't change the actual raw data, they just affect the metadata putting markers there that tells Photoshop how to do the Gamma correction, and present the image by way of setting the dark and highlight points in the data set. When you sharpen, you are actually changing pixel data, which is what PS does. When you sharpen in raw, all you do is change the way the thumbnail and JPEG image are presented on your screen, no pixel data is changed (or lost, which is the real benefit of adjusting all your levels, color, contrast, exposure, etc in RAW vs PS). Do your sharpening as your last processing step.
bsmotril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th of February 2007 (Thu)   #9
Beau Hudspeth
-Cool Title-

Location: On the "Highway to 'L' " with a cardboard sign reading - "Will photoshop for food" - Beaverton, Or.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosworth View Post
My sharpening is the last step in PP and involves an action with about 40 steps.
I'm curious to see that action please!

My FAVORITE Image Gear List

Photoshop Action Set My Flickr
Old 15th of February 2007 (Thu)   #10
cgratti
Lord_Malone, your still a newb...

Dont sharpen in RAW, there is a better way to sharpen in PS.

Duplicate the layer.
Click FILTER>OTHER>HIGH PASS and at 7.0
The picture will now look Chrome and ugly.
Set the BLENDING MODE in the layers palette to SOFT OVERLAY and viola!

Canon 30D
Canon 10D
Canon 28-105 f/3.5-4.5 II USM
Apple iMac G5

cgratti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th of February 2007 (Fri)   #11
Pete
Prime Mover

No, Sharpening in ACR won't be much good at all. Although it's useful to start your noise reduction there.

I've found that actions and recipies for sharpening will give you acceptable, but not good results. The best sharpening is when it's tailored for the image itself (and even then targeted for parts of the image that actually need it). Multi-pass sharpening is the way to go, if you can spend the time doing it.
Old 16th of February 2007 (Fri)   #12
peber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
No, Sharpening in ACR won't be much good at all. Although it's useful to start your noise reduction there.

I've found that actions and recipies for sharpening will give you acceptable, but not good results. The best sharpening is when it's tailored for the image itself (and even then targeted for parts of the image that actually need it). Multi-pass sharpening is the way to go, if you can spend the time doing it.
Slightly OT, is there a tutorial somewhere how to do multi-pass sharpening?

/Per
| EOS 5DMkIII gripped | EOS 7D gripped | EOS 30D gripped | Fuji X100 | EF-S 10-22/3.5-4.5 | EF 16-35/2.8 L | EF 17-40/4.0 L | EF 24-105/4.0 L IS | EF 70-200/2.8 IS II | EF 300/4.0 IS | EF 100/2.8 L IS Macro | EF 50/1.4 | EF 85/1.8 | EF 1.4 MkII extender | Speedlite 580EX II | Speedlite 430X | Zoom H4n | Some Pocketwizard and Lastolite gear|
| Too many bags, all Think Tank |
peber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th of February 2007 (Fri)   #13
tim
Light Bringer

I'm a wedding photographer, I only occasionally sharpen. I've done my experiments, in print, not at the almost useless 100% view in photoshop. Take a look at the prints if you do and don't sharpen, after that you'll worry less. That's a good general rule: try it every way you can think of, print it, if your wife/girlfriend/whatever can't tell them apart then miss the step out, it's not important.
tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th of February 2007 (Fri)   #14
mace0002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau Hudspeth View Post
I'm curious to see that action please!
I would too!!
mace0002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th of February 2007 (Fri)   #15
SuzyView
Cream of the Crop

Never sharpen in RAW, only in PS.
My Gear and Wishes

SuzyView is offline   Reply With Quote