Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Bird Talk
Thread started 16 Feb 2007 (Friday) 08:44
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

STICKY: Respect For The Birds We Photograph

jenniferanderson1976
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Jan 2013
Jan 25, 2013 06:03 as a reply to post 11842078 |  #46

I totally agree with Boose. Thanks for sharing the post.

Dubai Sightseeingexternal link | Visit Dubai Tourist Placesexternal link

sponsored links
Miki ­ G
Goldmember
1,121 posts
Joined Feb 2011
Ireland
Feb 04, 2013 23:27 |  #47

A great post. Another point I'd like to raise regardging baiting / feeding wildlife and birds is that the bait used should occur naturally in the area. Introducing non-natural foods may draw the birds etc into the area & they will associate that area as a good place for sourcing food & may decide to nest there. If you then stop baiting, the birds will expend a lot of energy searching for the same foods which do not occur naturally in the area. This would be especially important during the winter months.

SkyBaby
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2009
Tehachapi, CA
Feb 05, 2013 12:49 |  #48

Miki G wrote in post #15573574external link
A great post. Another point I'd like to raise regardging baiting / feeding wildlife and birds is that the bait used should occur naturally in the area. Introducing non-natural foods may draw the birds etc into the area & they will associate that area as a good place for sourcing food & may decide to nest there. If you then stop baiting, the birds will expend a lot of energy searching for the same foods which do not occur naturally in the area. This would be especially important during the winter months.

That's a very good point.

I feed birds in my yard quite a lot, especially in the winter months. I hang out by my glass back door inside my house with camera in hand. They don't notice me and get a feed and i get pictures. I once read somewhere the populations of certain birds have gone way up with most everyone having bird feeders in backyards. I don't know how true that is, but it makes sense.

I don't own a long lens, although i will be changing thhat some time this year. When I go out birding, just being out in nature is #1. I have my camera in hand in case I get really lucky, and from time to time I do. I go out because I love just walking in the bushes seeing animals. Maybe I'll have more opportunities for pictures with a longer lens, but for me, it will always be #1 just being outside and watching them and being careful not to flush them.

~Kira~
Check out my Flickr for lots of aviation and nature related photography: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/skys_flickr/external link
Check out my Facebook fan page for my best of the best imagery. Give it a thumbs up if you like what you see! https://www.facebook.c​om/PhotographybyKiraAn​dreolaexternal link

Biffbradford
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2008
Milwaukee
Oct 22, 2013 15:49 |  #49

I was thinking of this topic today as I watched a 'gentleman' hired by the county I live in to chase away the Canada Geese in the local parks with his dog and remote control high speed boat. I asked him about the Coot, Golden Eye, Blue Winged Teal, and Wood Ducks that were in migration that he coldly scared off too. I asked him: "Is that just a goose chasing boat?" ... "I'm just doing my job." he replied. The geese simply moved down the pond another 50 meters, but the rest flew off to who knows where. Here, I'm being quiet not to 'disturb' the wildlife, yet along comes .... well, it was a very frustrating morning to say the least. :(

My pictures: John Wilke Photographyexternal link, Flikrexternal link , Facebookexternal link, Fine Arts Americaexternal link, Canon 1D MkII N, 1D MkIII, various Canon and Tokina lenses. :D

Duane ­ N
Cream of the Crop
Joined Nov 2007
Chesapeake, VA USA
Oct 25, 2013 05:23 |  #50

Biffbradford wrote in post #16390744external link
I was thinking of this topic today as I watched a 'gentleman' hired by the county I live in to chase away the Canada Geese in the local parks with his dog and remote control high speed boat. I asked him about the Coot, Golden Eye, Blue Winged Teal, and Wood Ducks that were in migration that he coldly scared off too. I asked him: "Is that just a goose chasing boat?" ... "I'm just doing my job." he replied. The geese simply moved down the pond another 50 meters, but the rest flew off to who knows where. Here, I'm being quiet not to 'disturb' the wildlife, yet along comes .... well, it was a very frustrating morning to say the least. :(

You should have asked him to see the permit the county applied for because they are required to carry it on them at all times. Either that or start snapping pics of him doing his job just to make him feel a bit uncomfortable...as long as he's in a public place.

This is what many of us have resorted to at the local botanical garden where the city owns the property but is run privately. The botanical garden is located next to an airport. The USDA-WS rounds up Canada Geese in the spring when the eggs hatch killing the entire family, they light off fire crackers and shoot paint balls at the pair of eagles trying to nest at the botanical garden and in the fall the USDA-WS has resorted to killing Canada Geese by shooting them after the botancial garden has closed to the public. It's almost like a war zone after hours and it's a wonder any wildlife is seen during the day.

www.3rdicreations.comexternal link

jhayesvw
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jan 2011
Tucson AZ
Oct 26, 2013 11:03 |  #51

Thats crazy Duane.
Its hard to believe this stuff occurs but it does. All over the place too.

My Flickr (external link)

Oldjackssparrows
Jeeeez, incredible comments!
13,359 posts
Gallery: 61 photos
Joined Oct 2009
Tol Eressea
Oct 26, 2014 03:49 |  #52

Why is banding not only allowed but on such a massive scale? Because the people who do this to the birds we all love are experts? BS.... The percentage of fatalities is over 1% millions are banded every year, but that's ok because...... Why?

1DX, 400/f2.8 and other Canon gear
The shadow of a feather is one of the goals

canonloader
Cream of the Crop
52,875 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Behind A Camera
Oct 26, 2014 06:58 as a reply to Oldjackssparrows's post |  #53

Banding. One of my favorite subjects. There really are no solid figures you can depend on, because all these people will lie or pad the truth with the usual liberal dogooder tactic of evading the question or just ignoring it so you never get an answer. The best way to stop it is to stop the funding for it. It would probably go a long way to get people against this if some commercials were to come out about the truth of these people. Like the studies about what birds eat, where you trap a beautiful little bird, then kill it for the sole purpose of cutting it's stomach open to see what insects it eats. :evil:

Mitch- ____...^.^...____
My Microscope Stuffexternal link
Gear List, My You Tubeexternal link
War is not about who's right, it's about who's left.

tonylong
...winded
54,587 posts
Gallery: 55 photos
Joined Sep 2007
Vancouver, WA USA
Oct 26, 2014 10:01 |  #54

Wow, crazy stuff!!!:)!!!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBaseexternal link
Wildlife project pics hereexternal link, Biking Photog shoots hereexternal link, "Suburbia" project hereexternal link! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics hereexternal link

tonylong
...winded
54,587 posts
Gallery: 55 photos
Joined Sep 2007
Vancouver, WA USA
Oct 26, 2014 10:07 |  #55

OK, sorry, I was in the "tech" industry, retired, but did not tend to be OCD (know what I'm talking about?)...I do have a problem, though, I taught myself to "touch-type" and in the past year I've had some issues...but also I'm a "fan" of good photography!!!!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBaseexternal link
Wildlife project pics hereexternal link, Biking Photog shoots hereexternal link, "Suburbia" project hereexternal link! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics hereexternal link

AZGeorge
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2010
Southen Arizona
Nov 03, 2014 10:28 |  #56

canonloader wrote in post #17233598external link
Banding. One of my favorite subjects. There really are no solid figures you can depend on, because all these people will lie or pad the truth with the usual liberal dogooder tactic of evading the question or just ignoring it so you never get an answer. The best way to stop it is to stop the funding for it. It would probably go a long way to get people against this if some commercials were to come out about the truth of these people. Like the studies about what birds eat, where you trap a beautiful little bird, then kill it for the sole purpose of cutting it's stomach open to see what insects it eats. :evil:

From the perspective of a banding volunteer this is just nonsense, just a reflection of the state of the poster's gizzard.

George
Democracy Dies in Darkness

Bsmooth
853 posts
Joined Feb 2005
New England
Feb 04, 2017 16:26 |  #57

We recently had a Boreal Owl here in Eastern MA and I missed it by a day. But the next day everyone was still looking for it. When I finally heard from someone who was actually there at the time I found out a woman was looking at it and had been for quite a few minutes, when a basic hoard of photographers came in and spooked it.
We recently have had an influx of camo wearing and what i would call pretty "bold " group of photographers come into our area. They seem to have no heed of anyone outside of there little group. They have the usual giant lenses and don't even bother offer to carry on any sort of conversation.
I understand being disturbed If you've been following a bird and someone comes in and disturbs it, but I always try and give anyone around me room, even asking If its OK where I am and maybe should I move so they can get a shot. I basically go out of my way to give the bird and other photographers as much room as possible.
I hate to say but this seems quite a rarity these days.Pretty much it seems to be hey I have a bigger lens and more expensive equipment, so move out of the way and let me get the shot. Granted they probably will get the better shot, but just the same. Don't get me wrong I'm sure most with any type of equipment are usually the nicest of people, but the bad apple sure does leave a bitter taste thats for sure.
Sorry I'll get off my soapbox now, but I do wish I had seen that Boreal Owl just the same.

Bruce

sponsored links

50,933 views & 1 like for this thread
Respect For The Birds We Photograph
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Bird Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.