Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > The POTN Lounge
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 20th of February 2007 (Tue)   #1
Yellow98cobra

Default Am I the only one?

Being new to this hobby, The more I read and learn here the worse my photos look. I sure hope there is a break point soon.

"If you are in a hurry, You should have left Yesterday."
GEAR LIST
Yellow98cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 20th of February 2007 (Tue)   #2
calicokat
calicokat is BANNED

Default Re: Am I the only one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow98cobra View Post
Being new to this hobby, The more I read and learn here the worse my photos look. I sure hope there is a break point soon.
There is, its just a matter of putting your new knowledge to work. Lots of practice and you'll get it

My Website

My Gear

Calicokat 1990-2007 RIP My Loving Kitty
calicokat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th of February 2007 (Tue)   #3
Curtis N
Master Flasher

The important thing is to analyze your images, study the EXIF data, figure out what you did wrong and remember it next time.
Curtis N is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 20th of February 2007 (Tue)   #4
Mark_Cohran
Cream of the Crop

Practice, learn, practice some more. Repeat as necessary. I'm never truly satisfied with my photography, but as I look at my photos from over the years, I can see the improvements. I must be a slow learner.

Mark
Thirty-five years of shooting and still learning.
My G&N Blog (NSFW)- My Complete Gear List - Mac-Photo Website - My Tumblr Site (NSFW)
G&N FORUM EARLY ACCESS & IMAGE POSTING RULES
Mark_Cohran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st of February 2007 (Wed)   #5
perfect_pixel

I spent my first year with an SLR taking absolutely sh*t photos. Never could work out why and I came close to just packing it all in and putting it on my 'failed-at' list many times.

Figured out in the end (and before I came across POTN) that I was generally using too slow a shutter speed. Not anything dramatic but just enough to take any sharpness out of my pictures. Since then I bump up my ISO without hesitation and (whilst my pics still leave something to be desired ) can see small improvements over time.

I think that 99% of people are not naturally gifted photographers (you know the kind that pick up a camera, see a shot and capture it wonderfully whilst not being able to explain how to anybody else). Most just work hard, read and practise a lot.

Since finding POTN and all the helpful members here, I have had the confidence to try lots of new things and can find answers to problems as chances are someone else has been there, done that.

Keep at it, your pictures will start turning out fine, then good, then great. Small steps, enjoy the learning curve and don't be afraid to ask questions, even the stupid ones!

Steve

"...Most things in life are moments of pleasure and a lifetime of embarrassment; photography is a moment of embarrassment and a lifetime of pleasure..." ~Tony Benn
perfect_pixel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st of February 2007 (Wed)   #6
ajbalazic
Cream of the Crop

Stick with it- it will all come together soon.

You'd be surprised how many people try a dslr and go back to there trusty p&s because they don't have the patience or will to learn.

Gear List
ajbalazic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st of February 2007 (Wed)   #7
gjl711
human (barely) and bribable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow98cobra View Post
A little different spin. I bet that they are in fact getting better. If you printed an old one and a new one and asked several impartial folks to evaluate them, they would choose the later one. I think what is happening is that as you learn, you start to see things that before you would not have. For example, I am refurbing a home. I have laid 8 wooden floors in that house and each has a flaw. I walk into each room and I immediately see the flaw. It is so obvious to me that I can't help but see it. But no one else can see it because they do not know what they are looking for. I think itís the same with pictures. You look at it and right away see things that you know you could have done better or you had a picture in your head of what you wanted and the real thing didnít quite make it. But stick with it and as with anything else, it will get better and better. Also, donít get discouraged and accept the fact that the learning will never stop. I have been taking pictures for decades and am learning as much today as I was years ago. Maybe Iím just a slow learner but the learning is Ĺ the fun.
gjl711 is offline   Reply With Quote