FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge
Thread started 20 Feb 2007 (Tuesday) 23:03   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

Yellow98cobra
Joined Jan 2007
121 posts
Seattle, Wa
[MORE/SHARE]

Being new to this hobby, The more I read and learn here the worse my photos look. I sure hope there is a break point soon.

Post #1, Feb 20, 2007 23:03:22

http://EDC-Images.comexternal link
"If you are in a hurry, You should have left Yesterday."
GEAR LIST

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
calicokat
calicokat is BANNED
Joined Oct 2005
14,720 posts
Southern California
[MORE/SHARE]

Yellow98cobra wrote in post #2745740external link
Being new to this hobby, The more I read and learn here the worse my photos look. I sure hope there is a break point soon.

There is, its just a matter of putting your new knowledge to work. Lots of practice and you'll get it ;)

Post #2, Feb 20, 2007 23:12:52

"You are going to fall off a cliff trying to get a better shot someday"- My hopeful and loving wife :eek: :twisted:
My Websiteexternal link

My Gear

Calicokat 1990-2007 RIP My Loving Kitty

Curtis ­ N
Master Flasher
Joined Apr 2005
19,130 posts
Northern Illinois, US
[MORE/SHARE]

The important thing is to analyze your images, study the EXIF data, figure out what you did wrong and remember it next time.

Post #3, Feb 20, 2007 23:13:10

"If you're not having fun, your pictures will reflect that." - Joe McNally
Chicago area POTN eventsexternal link
Flash Photography 101 | The EOS Flash Bible external link| Techniques for Better On-Camera Flashexternal link | How to Use Flash Outdoors| Excel-based DOF Calculatorexternal link

Mark_Cohran
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jul 2002
15,545 posts
Portland, Oregon
[MORE/SHARE]

Practice, learn, practice some more. Repeat as necessary. I'm never truly satisfied with my photography, but as I look at my photos from over the years, I can see the improvements. I must be a slow learner. :)

Mark

Post #4, Feb 20, 2007 23:37:30

Mark
-----
Some primes, some zooms, some Ls, some bodies and they all play nice together.
Thirty-five years of shooting and still learning.
My G&N Blogexternal link (NSFW)- My Complete Gear Listexternal link - Mac-Photo Websiteexternal link - My Tumblr Siteexternal link (NSFW)
G&N FORUM EARLY ACCESS & IMAGE POSTING RULES

perfect_pixel
Joined Aug 2006
450 posts
Warminster, UK
[MORE/SHARE]

I spent my first year with an SLR taking absolutely sh*t photos. Never could work out why and I came close to just packing it all in and putting it on my 'failed-at' list many times.

Figured out in the end (and before I came across POTN) that I was generally using too slow a shutter speed. Not anything dramatic but just enough to take any sharpness out of my pictures. Since then I bump up my ISO without hesitation and (whilst my pics still leave something to be desired :D) can see small improvements over time.

I think that 99% of people are not naturally gifted photographers (you know the kind that pick up a camera, see a shot and capture it wonderfully whilst not being able to explain how to anybody else). Most just work hard, read and practise a lot.

Since finding POTN and all the helpful members here, I have had the confidence to try lots of new things and can find answers to problems as chances are someone else has been there, done that.

Keep at it, your pictures will start turning out fine, then good, then great. Small steps, enjoy the learning curve and don't be afraid to ask questions, even the stupid ones!

Steve

Post #5, Feb 21, 2007 09:01:25

"...Most things in life are moments of pleasure and a lifetime of embarrassment; photography is a moment of embarrassment and a lifetime of pleasure..." ~Tony Benn

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
ajbalazic
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jan 2005
5,228 posts
Kitchener, ON, Canada
[MORE/SHARE]

Stick with it- it will all come together soon.

You'd be surprised how many people try a dslr and go back to there trusty p&s because they don't have the patience or will to learn.

Post #6, Feb 21, 2007 09:05:30

Alan
Gear List

gjl711
human (barely) and bribable
Joined Aug 2006
48,201 posts
Deep in the heart of Texas
[MORE/SHARE]

Yellow98cobra wrote in post #2745740external link

A little different spin. I bet that they are in fact getting better. If you printed an old one and a new one and asked several impartial folks to evaluate them, they would choose the later one. I think what is happening is that as you learn, you start to see things that before you would not have. For example, I am refurbing a home. I have laid 8 wooden floors in that house and each has a flaw. I walk into each room and I immediately see the flaw. It is so obvious to me that I can't help but see it. But no one else can see it because they do not know what they are looking for. I think it’s the same with pictures. You look at it and right away see things that you know you could have done better or you had a picture in your head of what you wanted and the real thing didn’t quite make it. But stick with it and as with anything else, it will get better and better. Also, don’t get discouraged and accept the fact that the learning will never stop. I have been taking pictures for decades and am learning as much today as I was years ago. Maybe I’m just a slow learner but the learning is ½ the fun.

Post #7, Feb 21, 2007 09:36:50

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger, then it hit me
::Flickr::external link
::Gear::

LIST NEARBY THREADS
398 views & 0 likes for this thread
Am I the only one?
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES