Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > The Business of Photography
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 22nd of February 2007 (Thu)   #1
ladyexplorer

Default Contract for Real Estate Photography

Hiya~

I've searched through the forums here and other places online, trying to find a template or an example of a contract to do real estate photography but have been unable to find anything. In fact, the great majority of the threads on real estate shooting here seem to focus on how little money there is to be had in the business and how "cheap" most real estate agents are. However! I'm not looking to make real estate shooting into a full-time gig... it's just a way to make some money on the side.

A real estate office in town recently approached me to do shots of homes that are newly listed as well as recently sold. I believe I'll charge on a house-by-house basis and I want to make sure that the details (as well as expectations) of this are pinned down before I start doing the work, and think that a well-written contract is the best way to go.

Does anyone have a template or a sample contract specific to real estate photography that you would be willing to share?

Thanks in advance!
ladyexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 22nd of February 2007 (Thu)   #2
chtgrubbs

Default Re: Contract for Real Estate Photography

I have never seen or heard of one. I would just make a simple estimate-agreement form stating how many photos per house you will take and how much it will cost. If you get into a complicated usage fee agreement they will probably just say " no thanks ".
chtgrubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd of February 2007 (Fri)   #3
ladyexplorer

Thanks for the response and the idea, chtgrubbs.
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 23rd of February 2007 (Fri)   #4
MJPhotos24
Cream of the Crop

My dad owns a real estate business but does all the photos himself, the two biggest things you'll run into is A) mileage driving to/from houses B) time! Houses obviously are spread all over the place, so you may want to do "X-amount" for each house as a base pay and then maybe mileage/time added on. Could even maybe make a chart up for each house distance wise...for example..

1-20 miles = "X-amount"
20-40 miles = "X-amount"
40-60 miles = "X-amount"
60 + miles = "X-amount"

Obviously could use any distance you wanted, but just an idea. Also, of course each house gets the same package deal of say 10 photos or something. If it's two houses in one shoot, add up the mileage or if they're close just keep it all under one...can work it any way
MJPhotos24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th of February 2007 (Sat)   #5
ladyexplorer

Thanks, MJ. It's a good reminder to build in the time spent and mileage costs into my quote for the agency (I'll work post-processing in there, too). I appreciate the response and insights. Props to your website, BTW. It is clean and easy to navigate.
Old 25th of February 2007 (Sun)   #6
MJPhotos24
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyexplorer View Post
Thanks, MJ. It's a good reminder to build in the time spent and mileage costs into my quote for the agency (I'll work post-processing in there, too). I appreciate the response and insights. Props to your website, BTW. It is clean and easy to navigate.
Thanks, tried to make it nice and easy to navigate. Something I notice with a lot of photogs/artists websites is they try to match it to there styles instead of the possible clients (in which we have to remember not all have high speed and access to big flash sites). Luckily my history in marketing comes through in most of what I do (or I try to at least).
MJPhotos24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th of February 2008 (Mon)   #7
ddphotography

Quote:
Hiya~

I've searched through the forums here and other places online, trying to find a template or an example of a contract to do real estate photography but have been unable to find anything. In fact, the great majority of the threads on real estate shooting here seem to focus on how little money there is to be had in the business and how "cheap" most real estate agents are. However! I'm not looking to make real estate shooting into a full-time gig... it's just a way to make some money on the side.

A real estate office in town recently approached me to do shots of homes that are newly listed as well as recently sold. I believe I'll charge on a house-by-house basis and I want to make sure that the details (as well as expectations) of this are pinned down before I start doing the work, and think that a well-written contract is the best way to go.

Does anyone have a template or a sample contract specific to real estate photography that you would be willing to share?

Thanks in advance!

Hey Bree, have you had any luck with a contract? I am also looking for one and need some help. my website is www.ddphotog.com if you want to take a look.

Thanks!
ddphotography is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th of February 2008 (Mon)   #8
ladyexplorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddphotography View Post
Hey Bree, have you had any luck with a contract? I am also looking for one and need some help. my website is www.ddphotog.com if you want to take a look.

Thanks!

Hi ddphotography~

You know, I never had any luck finding a sample contract or hearing from anyone who had one, so I made myself block off some time to focus and wrote my own proposal for the real estate agency that was inquiring. I incorporated mileage, time, post-processing, number of images, and usage rights into my proposal and based it all on elements that I am familiar with in the local real estate market (as well as specifics for the particular agency). I felt like the proposal was nice, but in the end they decided they didn't want to spend the money and will keep on with the P&S snapshots their agents are taking. It wasn't a wise choice IMO, but perhaps I am the only person in town who thinks amateurish snapshots look bad in real estate listings.

Anyway, you will be the best person to determine what a reasonable contract/proposal for real estate pictures would be for your area. Scope out what other real estate photogs are offering and charging, and meld that with your talent level to determine appropriate pricing. Make sure to include all the elements so that you aren't losing money in travel, time or post-processing hours. And finally, be very specific about what you will and won't do or provide. Real estate people are used to working odd and long hours sometimes and they may expect you to keep the same type of schedule, or to provide them with hundreds of images to choose from. Just a few thoughts... use what you can and leave the rest.

Best of luck to you....
Old 22nd of February 2008 (Fri)   #9
ddphotography

Thank you so much! This is very helpful )
ddphotography is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th of February 2008 (Sun)   #10
roundy

Try over at www.photographyforrealestate.net

Don
roundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th of February 2008 (Tue)   #11
scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop

I really do not see the demand for this BUT good luck. Most realestate agencies have Real Estate agents who take thier own crappy pictures of houses
scorpio_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th of February 2008 (Wed)   #12
dmwierz
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio_e View Post
I really do not see the demand for this BUT good luck. Most realestate agencies have Real Estate agents who take thier own crappy pictures of houses
You answered you own question. The demand is created by the agents who take their own crappy pictures. If they all took great pictures, then there would be no demand.

I know quite a few folks doing this full time, and even in this down RE market, they're making 6 figures easily, only working 20-30 hours per week. The trick seems to be focusing in on the segment of the market that will pay a premium for pro-level images (and uses pro-level point of sale materials like brochures and online galleries), working with agencies and agents who understand the value of promotion and how it can differentiate them from all the other folks who "take thier own crappy pictures of houses".

When the market is down like this, smart RE agents understand they need an "edge" to help them sell, and that the Web is the first place most people go when they start their house hunting. These smart agents will gladly let a pro shoot their houses for a reasonable fee.

The same way "crappy" curb appeal can turn someone away from entering your open house, bad online photos of a house for sale make most people say "next" . The photos online ARE today's curb appeal.

Dennis "
Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand."

Last edited by dmwierz : 27th of February 2008 (Wed) at 22:52.
dmwierz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th of April 2014 (Tue)   #13
photograph-PORTLAND

Quote:
Hiya~

Thanks in advance!
Here's the contract language I use, feel free to use it. I focus mainly on the licensing and the fact that I make no guarantee that a house will sell.

-Shawn

This agreement is entered into on this _____ day of ____________________, 20____ by and between ____________________________ ("Client") and Shawn Markman ("Photographer") for services to be rendered at ___________________________________. It is understood this Photographer is the exclusive official photographer retained to perform the photographic services requested in this agreement.
By providing the services implied herein, the Photographer does not guarantee the sale of any property (personal or real), attachments, improvements, or fixtures photographed.
No part of any order, including low-resolution previews, will be delivered to the Client until the agreed upon balance is paid in full.
The Photographer reserves the right to use images created under this agreement for advertising, display, publication or other purposes. The Client signing this agreement warrants that he or she has actual authority to agree to the use of images in this manner and shall indemnify and defend the Photographer in the event of litigation arising out of such use. Negatives, digital files and previews remain the exclusive property of the Photographer.
If the Photographer cannot perform this agreement due to fire or other casualty, strike, act of God, or other cause beyond the control of the parties, or due to Photographer employee illness or emergency, then the Photographer shall return any deposit or fee to the Client but shall have no further liability with respect to the agreement. This limitation on liability shall also apply in the event that photographic materials are damaged in processing, lost through camera or media malfunction, lost in the mail, or otherwise lost or damaged without fault on the part of the Photographer. In the event the Photographer fails to perform for any other reason, the Photographer shall not be liable for any amount in excess of all monies paid.
The fees associated with this agreement are based on the Photographer's standard price list. This price list is adjusted periodically and future orders shall be charged at the prices in effect at the time when the order is placed.
NOTICE OF LICENSE: The Photographer issues a limited license for the Client to use the digital images supplied under this agreement in his/her RMLS listing and in other promotional materials intended to sell the property under his/her current contract with the property owner. The images issued under this agreement may NOT be transferred to subsequent listing agents or the property owner in the event that the property does not sell under the terms of the current exclusive listing agreement.
NOTICE OF COPYRIGHT: It is ILLEGAL to copy or reproduce the photographs, videos, website content, etc. issued under this agreement without the Photographer's permission, and violators of this Federal Law will be subject to its civil and criminal penalties.

This agreement incorporates the entire understanding of the parties and is governed by the laws of __________________________________________________ ________ (City/County, State). Any modification of this agreement must be in writing and signed by both parties.
photograph-PORTLAND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th of April 2014 (Tue)   #14
phantelope

looks like a great contract, thanks for sharing!

I'd think there's really only a demand for a pro photographer for high end real estate, not the 3 bedroom next door (unless it's high end). If I look at the weekly listings here in the Bay Area you can tell that the top of the line listings have great photos and regular houses have just snaps (I'd guess taken with the phone camera) just to show what it looks like. The high end properties tend to have images I'd consider magazine ready.
Old 19th of April 2014 (Sat)   #15
ladyexplorer

That's great, photograph-PORTLAND. Thanks for sharing your contract language and reviving this thread so others can benefit from it!