Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Small Compact Digitals by Canon
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 23rd of March 2004 (Tue)   #1
Mettleh3d

Default Tips and Tricks for shooting the IXUS/S400 well

i was wondering if people could give me some tips as to optimize the shots off my s400.
Some problems i come across are blurry pics at ISO 50, which seems to be the best option for quality shots.
What speeds to use in what kind of lighting
And also whether i should sacrifice quality pics for fast shots with image noise.

I would like to practice macro shots as well. The ones I've seen are astounding.
This guy for instance:

http://nebulaart.com/photography/

Thanks all
Mettleh3d is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 23rd of March 2004 (Tue)   #2
Mettleh3d

Here are some things i shot around my room; each pic about the 3rd or 4th try.

lotta fun.
Mettleh3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th of March 2004 (Mon)   #3
acurtis

Very nice pictures. I wouldn't worry about taking multiple shots. I do all the time and they are very easy to delete - some of those I keep are even in focus too
I tend to leave my S400 on auto most of the time except for experiments in situations were something is moving or likely to move. The flash is a bit too strong sometimes and if you turn it off the camera can certainly get enough light itself indoors. However, people do tend to move and often get blurred. My way round this is to avoid taking pictures of people at all times
Lots of good advice and examples on this forum. Search for IXUS or S400. Enjoy yourself and experiment with a fine piece of machinery.

Andy
acurtis is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 29th of March 2004 (Mon)   #4
S45_fornow...

I use my S400 in manual mode with the AiAF turned off, it focusses on your subject much better that way. In low light, I might turn the AiAF back on to help get a random focus lock. I leave the AF illuminator light enabled all the time.

When using the flash, I set the effects to Neutral, which helps eliminate yellowish/orange skin tones.

Red-eye... You're pretty much screwed with any small P&S digital camera, so just live with it and use postprocessing to remove red-eye. Of course, having the subject look directly at you does help.

Learn to hold the camera with as many grip points as possible to help eliminate shake when you're not using a tripod. I find that using the optical viewfinder greatly reduces the chance of camera shake.

Hope this helps.

Happy shooting!
S45_fornow... is offline   Reply With Quote