Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography
Thread started 28 Feb 2007 (Wednesday) 09:51
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

"Press" Credentials?

nicshow
501 posts
Joined Sep 2005
Central IL, USA
Feb 28, 2007 09:51 |  #1

What can you tell me about obtaining credentials to be allowed onto the floor of some event? I assume newspaper and press photogs have valid credentials through their employment. How do others obtain credentials to allow admittance or does it just vary from venue to venue and event to event?

Thanks,

Nic

My Gear

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/nicshow/external link
http://www.nicshowalte​r.comexternal link

sponsored links
tipsy
*hic
590 posts
Joined Feb 2007
Cardiff
Feb 28, 2007 09:55 |  #2

what kind of events are you talking about? i'm a music press photog in the UK and i get my photo passes through the record companies. i work for magazines and it's just a case of building up a good network of press people at Record companies that you can call on for passes.

best way to get a photopass for any sort of even (not just music) is to get on assignment from a magazine or widely read website.
x

www.racmedia.co.ukexternal link
TV Cameraman and Photographer
EOS 5D + 24-70mm f2.8 are my main weapons of choice.

coreypolis
Cream of the Crop
6,793 posts
Joined Mar 2005
Mercer Island, WA
Feb 28, 2007 10:01 |  #3
banned

unless you work for someone its very difficult ;)

Photographic Resourcesexternal link || International Photo Journalistexternal link

Blogexternal link

Seattle Wedding Photographer - Corey Polis Photographerexternal link

ssim
POTN Landscape & Cityscape Photographer 2005
10,884 posts
Joined Apr 2003
southern Alberta, Canada
Feb 28, 2007 10:46 as a reply to coreypolis's post |  #4

It varies from event to event. Sometimes it will be the venue that allows the access while others it may be the entertainer.

These are difficult to obtain unless you have a letter stating that you are shooting for a recognized and associated publication, news agency, etc. If you are trying to get this just to shoot for yourself, your chances are pretty slim but you can always ask. Just be prepared for a no answer. There are some that try and use this to just get free admittance to an event.

Are you shooting for anyone or is this just a personal thing.

My life is like one big RAW file....way too much post processing needed.
Sheldon Simpson | My Galleryexternal link | My Gear updated: 20JUL12

nicshow
THREAD ­ STARTER
501 posts
Joined Sep 2005
Central IL, USA
Feb 28, 2007 10:54 as a reply to ssim's post |  #5

This is a finals for high school dance competition. Some of the kids have asked me to come and photograph it. So, I'm just trying to anticipate how I can get on the floor of this large venue if there are limitations to who can be on the floor.

I might talk to the local paper and agree to provide pics to them in return for a press pass?

My Gear

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/nicshow/external link
http://www.nicshowalte​r.comexternal link

wannasmaxx
Goldmember
1,175 posts
Joined Oct 2005
London
Feb 28, 2007 10:57 |  #6

nicshow wrote in post #2790399external link
This is a finals for high school dance competition. Some of the kids have asked me to come and photograph it. So, I'm just trying to anticipate how I can get on the floor of this large venue if there are limitations to who can be on the floor.

I might talk to the local paper and agree to provide pics to them in return for a press pass?

In that case, I'd ask the kids to write a letter stating they want you to be close to the action so they can get "portfolio" shots.. As long as they are legit performers in the event you should be OK.. You can sub "portfolio" for whatever best explains your intentions.

20D, BG-E2, 24-70/2.8L, 70-200/2.8LIS, 430EX

cowpix
617 posts
Joined Oct 2005
Texas
Feb 28, 2007 11:14 as a reply to wannasmaxx's post |  #7

I would contact the school or governing body of the competition.

jlsohio
Joined Jan 2007
USA
Mar 04, 2007 19:35 |  #8

I don't work for anybody, but I wanted to shoot a major harness race. I contacted the race track via email. I rec'd a press pass for the event. I stood side by side with the pros at the finish line & 50,000 fans. They were really cool about it too. Can't wait to go back next year.
jls

slappy ­ sam
Goldmember
1,452 posts
Joined Dec 2006
Near Plymouth, MA
Mar 05, 2007 01:42 |  #9

Wow thats pretty cool jls, maybe I'll try that out someday. I'd love to shoot something bigger and actually be close to the action and in the presence of some pros.

40D|10-20|17-50|70-200|580ex
FS: XT with 2 OEM batteries

sponsored links

3,083 views & 0 likes for this thread
"Press" Credentials?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.