Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk
Thread started 02 Mar 2007 (Friday) 06:10
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

How to obtain press-tickets....

Bas
322 posts
Joined Nov 2006
Mar 02, 2007 06:10 |  #1

Hi guys,

I'm going to a drift event this weekend (if the weather let's us), to practice panning.

Now I'm an amateur photographer, and will be going there with a friend, who is an amateur as well.

I've mailed the organisation about the event, but he replied to me, that I can only get tickets if I work for a magazine, website or other press-related business.

Does anyone here have a clue on how to obtain a couple of tickets, if you don't have any of the above? Plan is to start a website, but well, that's a bit short-day since the event is this weekend....

[EOS 400D] - [Canon 18-55] - [Canon 28 - 105mm f/3.5-4.5 II USM] [Sigma 70 - 300mm f/4-5.6] - [Canon 50mm f/1.8]

sponsored links
gmen
Goldmember
4,345 posts
Joined Aug 2004
Essex
Mar 02, 2007 06:21 |  #2

Bas wrote in post #2800794external link
Hi guys,

I'm going to a drift event this weekend (if the weather let's us), to practice panning.

Now I'm an amateur photographer, and will be going there with a friend, who is an amateur as well.

I've mailed the organisation about the event, but he replied to me, that I can only get tickets if I work for a magazine, website or other press-related business.

Does anyone here have a clue on how to obtain a couple of tickets, if you don't have any of the above? Plan is to start a website, but well, that's a bit short-day since the event is this weekend....

You will certainly need to be working for a recognised media outlet to obtain accreditation for such events,

With all due respect, press credentials aren't handed out so that you can 'practice panning' - they are for working representatives of the media. Try shooting some smaller events to get your practice, build up your media contacts, look to get some paid gigs and then maybe you'll be able to look forward to working at next year's event.

EDIT: I should also add that just starting up your own website is highly unlikely to give you automatic access... it is likely that you will need to substantiate your media work with printed tear sheets (from recognised publications) and proof that you have been paid for such work.

---- Gavin

TGSPhoto Editorial Sports Photographyexternal link | TGS Blogexternal link | TGS Twitterexternal link | TGS Sportsshooterexternal link | TGS Tweetsexternal link | TGS Facebookexternal link | LinkedInexternal link

Bas
THREAD ­ STARTER
322 posts
Joined Nov 2006
Mar 02, 2007 06:24 |  #3

Drifting isn't that big in the netherlands yet, this is one of the smaller events (www.xtremedrift.com).

There aren't any smaller drift-events going on here, so it's pretty hard to start practicing panning on drifting cars. I could go to a circuit for some circuit-racing shots though ...

[EOS 400D] - [Canon 18-55] - [Canon 28 - 105mm f/3.5-4.5 II USM] [Sigma 70 - 300mm f/4-5.6] - [Canon 50mm f/1.8]

gmen
Goldmember
4,345 posts
Joined Aug 2004
Essex
Mar 02, 2007 06:30 |  #4

Bas wrote in post #2800832external link
Drifting isn't that big in the netherlands yet, this is one of the smaller events (www.xtremedrift.com).

There aren't any smaller drift-events going on here, so it's pretty hard to start practicing panning on drifting cars. I could go to a circuit for some circuit-racing shots though ...

I can't comment specifically on drifting events in the Netherlands, but it is likely that access to any organised events (whether big or small) will be controlled carefully... not only to ensure that only working media are admitted, but also there will be issues over H&S and the related insurance cover.

Good luck in your efforts but I'd certainly recommend practicing elsewhere and building up your portfolio and contacts.

---- Gavin

TGSPhoto Editorial Sports Photographyexternal link | TGS Blogexternal link | TGS Twitterexternal link | TGS Sportsshooterexternal link | TGS Tweetsexternal link | TGS Facebookexternal link | LinkedInexternal link

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,450 posts
Joined Dec 2002
Southeastern WI, USA
Mar 02, 2007 06:54 |  #5

The technique of panning can be practised anywhere. If you don't want to photograph public automobile traffic, you could have a friend ride a bicycle close to you and at various angles to your viewing position. By being close in, you can emulate the action of vehicles moving at faster speeds but further away.

I agree that you probably will not get any press credentials without getting an official relationship set up with a publication, etc.

When I was in the U.S. Army stationed in Europe in the mid 1960's, I established a relationship with the sports director of the Stars and Stripes newspaper - the newspaper printed for US military in Europe. He gave me letters and identification that enabled me to get press passes at varioius F-1 Grand Prix races around Europe, and I brought my work back to them for publication. Even with their letters and identification, though, I had a somewhat difficult time getting press credentials at the races.

I would suspect that today, what with the lawyers being involved, it would be even tougher what with safety, insurance, etc., being very important considerations.

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and over 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

AlexMN
184 posts
Joined Feb 2006
Mar 02, 2007 06:55 as a reply to gmen's post |  #6

Hi, gmens comments are spot on, the easiest way to do this is to build up contacts and work your way up, although myself and a lot of other photographers I know have had luck turning up on the day of the event, going to the press office, conspicuosly loaded down with big white lenses and asking if there is any chance of a pass! Depending on how busy the day is, who from the press has turned up, how many passes have been handed out, the size of the venue and prehaps most importantly the mood of the person on the desk you may well get lucky, blaging your way in is entirely possible, just be polite and charming, and courteous if you are turned down, remember it is a small world and it is highly likely if you do this often you will keep running into the same people!

I would add that if you are just wanting to "pactice your panning" and you do manage to get a pass on the day, please keep out of the way and be extra considerate of the working pros, this after all is their livelihood.

Good luck!

gmen
Goldmember
4,345 posts
Joined Aug 2004
Essex
Mar 02, 2007 07:00 |  #7

AlexMN wrote in post #2800908external link
...although myself and a lot of other photographers I know have had luck turning up on the day of the event, going to the press office, conspicuosly loaded down with big white lenses and asking if there is any chance of a pass... blaging your way in is entirely possible

I would strongly advise against 'blagging' your way in no matter how courteously you do it. It can and will come back to haunt you. Get authorisation in advance and be above board in all your dealings. It will serve you well in the long run.

---- Gavin

AlexMN
184 posts
Joined Feb 2006
Mar 02, 2007 07:23 |  #8

gmen wrote in post #2800924external link
I would strongly advise against 'blagging' your way in no matter how courteously you do it. It can and will come back to haunt you. Get authorisation in advance and be above board in all your dealings. It will serve you well in the long run.

---- Gavin

At no point in my post did I tell him to lie in order to get a pass or really to be underhand,and agree that this would be foolhardy, nothing is lost by asking on the day, I just advised he looked the part, perhaps blagging was an unfortunate choice of words. But I can't think of any pros working in motorsports (or indeed any press photography) who haven't at some point used charm to get where they want to, as the op stated that this is a minority sport in The Netherlands there is every chance that their allocated number of passes have not been handed out. Indeed I wouldn't suggest trying this at an F1 event!:lol:

gmen
Goldmember
4,345 posts
Joined Aug 2004
Essex
Mar 02, 2007 07:34 |  #9

AlexMN wrote in post #2800997external link
At no point in my post did I tell him to lie in order to get a pass or really to be underhand,and agree that this would be foolhardy, nothing is lost by asking on the day, I just advised he looked the part, perhaps blagging was an unfortunate choice of words. But I can't think of any pros working in motorsports (or indeed any press photography) who haven't at some point used charm to get where they want to, as the op stated that this is a minority sport in The Netherlands there is every chance that their allocated number of passes have not been handed out. Indeed I wouldn't suggest trying this at an F1 event!:lol:

The word 'blagging' tends to indicate that you may not tell the 'whole truth' when you try to gain entry... which is why I responded as I did.

I have had situations in the past when I have attended events on behalf of a publication.... only to find that my credentials have been already picked up by a blagger claiming to be working for the same publication. Rest assured that they were soon found, ejected and consequently unable to work that venue again.

---- Gavin

AlexMN
184 posts
Joined Feb 2006
Mar 02, 2007 09:38 |  #10

gmen wrote in post #2801039external link
The word 'blagging' tends to indicate that you may not tell the 'whole truth' when you try to gain entry... which is why I responded as I did.

I have had situations in the past when I have attended events on behalf of a publication.... only to find that my credentials have been already picked up by a blagger claiming to be working for the same publication. Rest assured that they were soon found, ejected and consequently unable to work that venue again.

---- Gavin

Thats cool, I can understand your response given your example, there is never an excuse for outright lying in these situations, with english as my third language I have subsequently looked up blagging in the Oxford dictionary and your interpretation was nearer than mine!:) What I meant was a combination of charm and trying your luck, what would be the word in english for this?

I hope there are no bad feeelings, didn't mean to offend anyone!:)

Alex

gmen
Goldmember
4,345 posts
Joined Aug 2004
Essex
Mar 02, 2007 11:02 |  #11

AlexMN wrote in post #2801539external link
Thats cool, I can understand your response given your example, there is never an excuse for outright lying in these situations, with english as my third language I have subsequently looked up blagging in the Oxford dictionary and your interpretation was nearer than mine!:) What I meant was a combination of charm and trying your luck, what would be the word in english for this?

I hope there are no bad feeelings, didn't mean to offend anyone!:)

Alex

No worries Alex... I certainly wasn't offended and I could fully understand the essence of what you were saying.

It was simply that the term 'blagging' might have given some folk the 'wrong' idea in the context of this thread... and I just wanted to use an example to illustrate why one should think through the consequences of one's actions before taking the plunge! ;)

---- Gavin

Bas
THREAD ­ STARTER
322 posts
Joined Nov 2006
Mar 02, 2007 11:11 |  #12

Ohhh so I got another mail from the guy, he gave my name to a woman at the reception and she's expecting me on Sunday, Hmmm!!

*Fingers crossed*

AlexMN
184 posts
Joined Feb 2006
Mar 02, 2007 12:28 |  #13

Bas wrote in post #2802041external link
Ohhh so I got another mail from the guy, he gave my name to a woman at the reception and she's expecting me on Sunday, Hmmm!!

*Fingers crossed*

Thats good news, look forward to seeing the results!:)

Good Luck!

liza
Cream of the Crop
11,386 posts
Joined Feb 2005
Mayberry
Mar 02, 2007 12:40 |  #14
banned

AlexMN wrote in post #2801539external link
Thats cool, What I meant was a combination of charm and trying your luck, what would be the word in english for this?

BS'ing your way past the gate. :lol:

Elizabeth
Blog
http://www.emc2foto.bl​ogspot.com/external link

AlexMN
184 posts
Joined Feb 2006
Mar 02, 2007 13:23 |  #15

liza wrote in post #2802580external link
BS'ing your way past the gate. :lol:

Thats what I was trying to say!:lol:

sponsored links

2,341 views & 0 likes for this thread
How to obtain press-tickets....
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.