How many shooters will I need to shoot a 5K race?

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk
Thread started 02 Mar 2007 (Friday) 07:45   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

i2iSTUDIOS
Goldmember
Joined Feb 2004
1,010 posts
Cincinnati, Ohio
[MORE/SHARE]

Crude race diagram.

IMAGE NOT FOUND IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
Content warning: NOT AN IMAGE

My friend has asked me to shoot this race and I said sure thing. I will need to hire some people to help shoot but I'm not sure how many. There will be 1 water stop. The max time I will need them for is 2 hours. Any thoughts on how much to pay as well? $50 alright? Would you shoot for 2 hours for $50? You would use your SLR, but using my CF cards.

What do you guys think?

Post #1, Mar 02, 2007 07:45:01

i2iSTUDIOS.comexternal link
My Blog

D800
D3

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
DarrenL
Joined Nov 2006
873 posts
Sussex, UK
[MORE/SHARE]

I've covered a 10k race and there were 5 of us. I've also covered similar events with just too of us.

How many runners? The 10k race I shot had about 3/4000 runners. It's impossible to get a shot of everyone in such a shot race as over 10k they are still bunched together in huge packs.

Darren

Post #2, Mar 02, 2007 08:08:53

www.dlactionimages.co.​ukexternal link
Sportsshooter Memberexternal link

Dandaman_24
Joined Dec 2004
935 posts
S Wales UK
[MORE/SHARE]

Depends on how many are taking part in the race. Possibly 2 shooters at finish and another at mid section.

The two shooters could cover the start line of race, where No3 is in the middle of field. then once all competitors clear the start. shooters 1&2 go to finish line to shoot the finishers.

Thats my go at it.

Post #3, Mar 02, 2007 08:11:37

Canon 1DMKIIN - 1D - 17-35mm - 24 -70mm - 70-200mm - 580EX - Macbook

snapzz
Joined Jan 2006
352 posts
North East Lincolnshire,United Kingdom
[MORE/SHARE]

Min of two. One can cover start & finish and the other mid point somewhere. If the course is over a scenic route then may be three to include any local/famous landmarks.

In the UK you would need to pay each one around £75 (approx $100)min for two hours coverage depending on experience. You may get away with paying less if local and they are keen just to take photographs.

Post #4, Mar 02, 2007 08:22:23 as a reply to Dandaman_24's post 10 minutes earlier.

Graham

Digital Photo Events by
Graham Taylor Photography

stein
Joined Feb 2007
24 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

This 5K is an out and back......max time for the actual race will be about 50 minutes and that will be your walkers. You might have someone finish in 16 minutes or so.

I agree with 2/3 shooters depending on how many participants. Everyone at the start/finish about an hour before the race is scheduled to begin. Then position 1 shooter somewhere on the course about 10 minutes before the race starts (remember: the mid-way shooter will be able get participants going out and coming back and probably does not want to wait for the walkers)

Try to get everyone crossing the finish line with their time. (there will be some action after people finish because you will get all kinds of emotions.......this may be where the 3rd shooter comes in) Usually there is an awards ceremony after the race. 8am race would be completely over by about 10am.

JS

Post #5, Mar 02, 2007 08:32:58 as a reply to Dandaman_24's post 21 minutes earlier.

Canon 30D w/ BG-E2 grip, Canon 20D, 580ex II, 24-70/2.8 L, Canon 70-200/2.8 L IS; 50/1.2, Sigma 10-20

sponsored links
asysin2leads
I'm kissing arse
Joined Dec 2006
6,325 posts
Lebanon, OH
[MORE/SHARE]

Rent a motorcycle and ride backwards. Just kidding. I am going to be helping a friend of mine shoot a mini-marathon (13.1 miles). There will be 15 of us (not really sure why he wants 15, but he's the boss) He is the promoter, so he wants pics of everyone (most at least) in the race. He is a good friend of mine, so I'm not getting paid. Our agreement is that if anything sells, then I get the $$$ from the sell of the photos.

Is your friend the promoter or a runner? If he is a runner, then I would think that 2 will suffice. You can get shots of him on the outbound leg and the return leg of the race. You'll need someone at the finish line to get shots of him/her when they finish. If you are taking promotion shots of the race, then you'll want a couple more. Get input from race promotion to see what they want.

Better yet, rig up a mount and run in the race. That would be a sight running down the street, huh?

Post #6, Mar 02, 2007 08:37:37 as a reply to snapzz's post 15 minutes earlier.

Kevin
https://www.google.com ....com&ctz=America/Ne​w_Yorkexternal link

tomd
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jan 2007
12,939 posts
I live next to my neighbor
[MORE/SHARE]

You'll need one or two at the finish, and I would put one at the (left side) turnaround. At the turnaround the runners will slow down, be more spread out as they exit the turn, and also this might be a good background.

Post #7, Mar 02, 2007 08:45:33

=======>>> play W.A.I.N. :D

i2iSTUDIOS
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Feb 2004
1,010 posts
Cincinnati, Ohio
[MORE/SHARE]

Thanks for the thoughts guys, I was they are targeting 500 people

Post #8, Mar 02, 2007 09:19:03 as a reply to tomd's post 33 minutes earlier.

i2iSTUDIOS.comexternal link
My Blog

D800
D3

Dandaman_24
Joined Dec 2004
935 posts
S Wales UK
[MORE/SHARE]

You need at least 2 at the finish, to be able to gain a good chance of photographing each person finishing.

Post #9, Mar 02, 2007 09:59:23

Canon 1DMKIIN - 1D - 17-35mm - 24 -70mm - 70-200mm - 580EX - Macbook

metalman1010
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2006
1,272 posts
Lakewood, CO (Finally moved!)
[MORE/SHARE]

When is the race? Where is it located in Cincinnatti? Are there any places along the route that would be a perfect place to put someone instead of the finish line that would make a great composition shot?

I would think you would have someone at the water area as you can get some great shots there of people just mingling around or the actual runners throwing water on their faces or such.

Just some thoughts.

Ross

Oh and I sent ya a PM also!

Post #10, Mar 02, 2007 10:47:11 as a reply to Dandaman_24's post 47 minutes earlier.

http://crossczech.smug​mug.comexternal link
Unfortunatly IM now all Nikon...;)

dahis
Joined Jan 2007
72 posts
[MORE/SHARE]
banned

snapzz wrote in post #2801205external link
Min of two. One can cover start & finish and the other mid point somewhere. If the course is over a scenic route then may be three to include any local/famous landmarks.

In the UK you would need to pay each one around £75 (approx $100)min for two hours coverage depending on experience. You may get away with paying less if local and they are keen just to take photographs.

£75 is nearer $150 at todays rates. :)

Post #11, Mar 02, 2007 11:25:13

sponsored links
snapzz
Joined Jan 2006
352 posts
North East Lincolnshire,United Kingdom
[MORE/SHARE]

dahis wrote in post #2802138external link
£75 is nearer $150 at todays rates. :)

Sorry not checked exchange rates recently :confused: . At that rate the OP is offering only £25. Wouldnt get anyone in the UK for that, atleast anyone who's competent!

Post #12, Mar 02, 2007 11:35:53

Graham

Digital Photo Events by
Graham Taylor Photography

LIST NEARBY THREADS
673 views & 0 likes for this thread
How many shooters will I need to shoot a 5K race?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES