Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > Talk About Photography > General Photography Talk
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 2nd of March 2007 (Fri)   #1
i2iSTUDIOS

Default How many shooters will I need to shoot a 5K race?

Crude race diagram.

My friend has asked me to shoot this race and I said sure thing. I will need to hire some people to help shoot but I'm not sure how many. There will be 1 water stop. The max time I will need them for is 2 hours. Any thoughts on how much to pay as well? $50 alright? Would you shoot for 2 hours for $50? You would use your SLR, but using my CF cards.

What do you guys think?

D800
D3
i2iSTUDIOS is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 2nd of March 2007 (Fri)   #2
DarrenL

Default Re: How many shooters will I need to shoot a 5K race?

I've covered a 10k race and there were 5 of us. I've also covered similar events with just too of us.

How many runners? The 10k race I shot had about 3/4000 runners. It's impossible to get a shot of everyone in such a shot race as over 10k they are still bunched together in huge packs.

Darren
DarrenL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd of March 2007 (Fri)   #3
Dandaman_24

Depends on how many are taking part in the race. Possibly 2 shooters at finish and another at mid section.

The two shooters could cover the start line of race, where No3 is in the middle of field. then once all competitors clear the start. shooters 1&2 go to finish line to shoot the finishers.

Thats my go at it.
Old 2nd of March 2007 (Fri)   #4
snapzz

Min of two. One can cover start & finish and the other mid point somewhere. If the course is over a scenic route then may be three to include any local/famous landmarks.

In the UK you would need to pay each one around 75 (approx $100)min for two hours coverage depending on experience. You may get away with paying less if local and they are keen just to take photographs.

Digital Photo Events by
Graham Taylor Photography
snapzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd of March 2007 (Fri)   #5
stein

This 5K is an out and back......max time for the actual race will be about 50 minutes and that will be your walkers. You might have someone finish in 16 minutes or so.

I agree with 2/3 shooters depending on how many participants. Everyone at the start/finish about an hour before the race is scheduled to begin. Then position 1 shooter somewhere on the course about 10 minutes before the race starts (remember: the mid-way shooter will be able get participants going out and coming back and probably does not want to wait for the walkers)

Try to get everyone crossing the finish line with their time. (there will be some action after people finish because you will get all kinds of emotions.......this may be where the 3rd shooter comes in) Usually there is an awards ceremony after the race. 8am race would be completely over by about 10am.

JS
stein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd of March 2007 (Fri)   #6
asysin2leads
I'm kissing arse

Rent a motorcycle and ride backwards. Just kidding. I am going to be helping a friend of mine shoot a mini-marathon (13.1 miles). There will be 15 of us (not really sure why he wants 15, but he's the boss) He is the promoter, so he wants pics of everyone (most at least) in the race. He is a good friend of mine, so I'm not getting paid. Our agreement is that if anything sells, then I get the $$$ from the sell of the photos.

Is your friend the promoter or a runner? If he is a runner, then I would think that 2 will suffice. You can get shots of him on the outbound leg and the return leg of the race. You'll need someone at the finish line to get shots of him/her when they finish. If you are taking promotion shots of the race, then you'll want a couple more. Get input from race promotion to see what they want.

Better yet, rig up a mount and run in the race. That would be a sight running down the street, huh?

asysin2leads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd of March 2007 (Fri)   #7
tomd
Cream of the Crop

You'll need one or two at the finish, and I would put one at the (left side) turnaround. At the turnaround the runners will slow down, be more spread out as they exit the turn, and also this might be a good background.
Old 2nd of March 2007 (Fri)   #8
i2iSTUDIOS

Thanks for the thoughts guys, I was they are targeting 500 people

D800
D3
i2iSTUDIOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd of March 2007 (Fri)   #9
Dandaman_24

You need at least 2 at the finish, to be able to gain a good chance of photographing each person finishing.
Old 2nd of March 2007 (Fri)   #10
metalman1010

When is the race? Where is it located in Cincinnatti? Are there any places along the route that would be a perfect place to put someone instead of the finish line that would make a great composition shot?

I would think you would have someone at the water area as you can get some great shots there of people just mingling around or the actual runners throwing water on their faces or such.

Just some thoughts.

Ross

Oh and I sent ya a PM also!
If you can do it, I can do it. I just have to figure out a different way to do it.
metalman1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd of March 2007 (Fri)   #11
dahis
User is banned from forums

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapzz View Post
Min of two. One can cover start & finish and the other mid point somewhere. If the course is over a scenic route then may be three to include any local/famous landmarks.

In the UK you would need to pay each one around 75 (approx $100)min for two hours coverage depending on experience. You may get away with paying less if local and they are keen just to take photographs.
75 is nearer $150 at todays rates.
dahis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd of March 2007 (Fri)   #12
snapzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahis View Post
75 is nearer $150 at todays rates.
Sorry not checked exchange rates recently . At that rate the OP is offering only 25. Wouldnt get anyone in the UK for that, atleast anyone who's competent!

Digital Photo Events by
Graham Taylor Photography
snapzz is offline   Reply With Quote