Hoya filters...standard vs Pro1 vs HMC vs SHMC vs DMC?...!

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories
Thread started 06 Mar 2007 (Tuesday) 15:51   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

angryhampster
"Got a thick monopod?"
Joined May 2006
3,850 posts
Iowa
[MORE/SHARE]

So in searching for a better filter setup for my lenses, I've decided that I want to go stick with Hoya because they've proven to be good in the past for me and they've got a great rep on here..without the price of B+W and Heliopan. I have a couple of standard Hoya CPL filters, and they've treated me very nicely. I want to upgrade to multicoat filters though, for both UV and CPL. Even Hoya's website isn't that clear, would I benefit that much from an SHMC vs a Pro1 DMC?

Post #1, Mar 06, 2007 15:51:25

Steve Lexa
http://photography-on-the.net ...p?t=597688&highligh​t=mintIowa City Wedding Photographyexternal link
Lights, Cameras, Lenses, Empty pockets.

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
dziuggy
Joined Jan 2007
57 posts
san francisco, ca
[MORE/SHARE]

Hoya Green series - no multicoating, made in philipines

Hoya Standard - 2 layers, made in japan

Hoya HMC - allows ~97% of light to pass through (not sure how many layer coating), made in japan

Hoya Super HMC - 12 layer multi coating, allows 99.7% of light to pass

Post #2, Mar 06, 2007 17:11:18

My Gear

Froggeh
Joined Dec 2008
339 posts
Sydney, Australia
[MORE/SHARE]

sorry to grave-dig a post, but does this still hold true? and does anyone have a side by side comparison of the HMC and S-HMC UV filters?

Post #3, Jan 01, 2009 14:10:30

5D & 50D | 17-40 f/4L | Asahi Pentax SMC Takumar 35 f/2 | Pentacon 135 f/2.8 Preset | Minolta Rokkor 50/1.4 and 58/1.4 | Tamron 90mm | 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS | 580EX II

Jon

Cocker Spaniel Mod

Joined Jun 2004
68,217 posts
Bethesda, MD USA
[MORE/SHARE]

Yes it does.

Post #4, Jan 01, 2009 14:17:22

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

tundraman
Joined Jan 2009
321 posts
Northern California
[MORE/SHARE]

Here's a thread I found.

http://www.thephotofor​um.com ...ter-comparison-tests.htmlexternal link

Post #5, Jan 01, 2009 21:29:53 as a reply to Jon's post 7 hours earlier.

Canon stuff and lots of it SmugMug Coupon Code: 9Sst64IEj4uzk Save $5 Instantly!!

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
Pat ­ H
Joined Jun 2005
167 posts
New Jersey, USA
[MORE/SHARE]

Better just to go with the SHMC IMO. It's the best they have to offer and a worth while investment. You want your filters to be intruding on your image quality as little as possible.

Post #6, Jan 02, 2009 01:02:30

T2i w/ grip | 24-105 f/4L IS | 70-200 f/4L | 430EX | Manfrotto 055Xprob w/ 488RC2
Mac Pro | PS CS5

tundraman
Joined Jan 2009
321 posts
Northern California
[MORE/SHARE]

Here's a great thread on filters.

http://www.cambridgein​colour.com ...s/camera-lens-filters.htmexternal link

Post #7, Jan 02, 2009 22:50:52 as a reply to Pat H's post 21 hours earlier.

Canon stuff and lots of it SmugMug Coupon Code: 9Sst64IEj4uzk Save $5 Instantly!!

Wilt
Wilt is an old fart who has extensive experience with many brands and many formats of cameras, and extensive lighting knowledge of both studio lighting and speedlights
Joined Aug 2005
33,500 posts
SF Bay area, CA
[MORE/SHARE]

'Digital' seems to be a marketing gimmick! In the Hoya line, Hoya publishes that the light transmission thru the double coated is 93-94%, thru the HMC is 97%, thru the SHMC is 99.7% (B+W has 99.6%, newest Heliopans have 99.8% tranmission). The 'digital' Hoya have a number of newer gimmicks 'for digital'...I call them gimmicks because unlike any of their prior features, Hoya publishes NO QUANTITATIVE assessment of the benefit from any of the digital features! And they somewhat reluctantly acknowledge that the 'digital' filters only have the same transmission as the HMC filters, at 97% ! The newest line, the HD line comes closest to equalling the transmission performance of the SHMC at 99.35%, but it still falls short.

Hoya Single coated = 94% transmission, Hoya HMC = 97% transmission, Hoya Digital = 97%, Hoya HD = 99.35%
B+W MRC = 99.6% transmission, Hoya SHMC = 99.7% transmission, newest Heliopan = 99.8% transmission

http://photography-on-the.net ...php?p=6752980&postc​ount=2
http://photography-on-the.net ...php?p=6635169&postc​ount=8

Post #8, Jan 04, 2009 08:45:50

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost!
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention
Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp

LIST NEARBY THREADS
47,074 views & 0 likes for this thread
Hoya filters...standard vs Pro1 vs HMC vs SHMC vs DMC?...!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES