Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Accessories & Storage
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 6th of March 2007 (Tue)   #1
angryhampster
"Got a thick monopod?"

Default Hoya filters...standard vs Pro1 vs HMC vs SHMC vs DMC?...!

So in searching for a better filter setup for my lenses, I've decided that I want to go stick with Hoya because they've proven to be good in the past for me and they've got a great rep on here..without the price of B+W and Heliopan. I have a couple of standard Hoya CPL filters, and they've treated me very nicely. I want to upgrade to multicoat filters though, for both UV and CPL. Even Hoya's website isn't that clear, would I benefit that much from an SHMC vs a Pro1 DMC?
angryhampster is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 6th of March 2007 (Tue)   #2
dziuggy

Default Re: Hoya filters...standard vs Pro1 vs HMC vs SHMC vs DMC?...!

Hoya Green series - no multicoating, made in philipines

Hoya Standard - 2 layers, made in japan

Hoya HMC - allows ~97% of light to pass through (not sure how many layer coating), made in japan

Hoya Super HMC - 12 layer multi coating, allows 99.7% of light to pass
Old 1st of January 2009 (Thu)   #3
Froggeh

sorry to grave-dig a post, but does this still hold true? and does anyone have a side by side comparison of the HMC and S-HMC UV filters?
Old 1st of January 2009 (Thu)   #4
Jon

Cocker Spaniel Mod

Yes it does.

Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities

Image Posting Rules
and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st of January 2009 (Thu)   #5
tundraman

Here's a thread I found.

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/p...son-tests.html
tundraman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd of January 2009 (Fri)   #6
Pat H

Better just to go with the SHMC IMO. It's the best they have to offer and a worth while investment. You want your filters to be intruding on your image quality as little as possible.
Old 2nd of January 2009 (Fri)   #7
tundraman

Here's a great thread on filters.

http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tut...ns-filters.htm
Old 4th of January 2009 (Sun)   #8
Wilt
Cream of the Crop

'Digital' seems to be a marketing gimmick! In the Hoya line, Hoya publishes that the light transmission thru the double coated is 93-94%, thru the HMC is 97%, thru the SHMC is 99.7% (B+W has 99.6%, newest Heliopans have 99.8% tranmission). The 'digital' Hoya have a number of newer gimmicks 'for digital'...I call them gimmicks because unlike any of their prior features, Hoya publishes NO QUANTITATIVE assessment of the benefit from any of the digital features! And they somewhat reluctantly acknowledge that the 'digital' filters only have the same transmission as the HMC filters, at 97% ! The newest line, the HD line comes closest to equalling the transmission performance of the SHMC at 99.35%, but it still falls short.

Hoya Single coated = 94% transmission, Hoya HMC = 97% transmission, Hoya Digital = 97%, Hoya HD = 99.35%
B+W MRC = 99.6% transmission, Hoya SHMC = 99.7% transmission, newest Heliopan = 99.8% transmission

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...80&postcount=2
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...69&postcount=8

Last edited by Wilt : 4th of January 2009 (Sun) at 09:57.
Wilt is offline   Reply With Quote