Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events
Thread started 07 Mar 2007 (Wednesday) 19:56
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

STICKY: Slimming Posing Techniques (by popular demand)

thekid24
pro-zack-lee
8,545 posts
Joined Oct 2006
Oklahoma City,OK
Mar 08, 2007 10:12 |  #16

Nice use of those techniques. And I dont know if you dodged or slightly adjusted the brides eyes but wow they really do seem to pop. Very beautiful.

flickrexternal link

sponsored links
PRoebuck
24 posts
Joined Feb 2007
Mar 08, 2007 10:24 |  #17

Thanks..Really great stuff to know.

jamesdean007
666 posts
Joined Oct 2006
Waterford, NY
Mar 08, 2007 10:27 |  #18

Jamie - I found the old thread, but its so much more meaningful to see it with the pictures. Thanks for taking the time to do this. It's very much appreciated.

Great job.

James - Canon 3ti, Canon 17-55 2.8 IS, Canon 85 1.8, Canon 70-300 4-5.6 IS, Grip, 580EX II,Westcott Softbox, Sto-fens

tony ­ fanning
834 posts
Joined Jan 2006
Colwyn Bay,North Wales, UK
Mar 08, 2007 13:42 |  #19

Do you explain to the bride why you are posing her in this way or does honesty not pay in these matters?

Regards, Tony
Gear list
Better flash techniqueexternal link

conwy wedding photographerexternal link
north wales wedding photograperexternal link

Jcharro
Joined Mar 2006
Dallas, Texas
Mar 08, 2007 13:56 |  #20

Thanks allot for those techniques, I will give those a shot at my next wedding. Beautiful shots by the way.

jamiewexler
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,007 posts
Joined Feb 2006
Grafton, MA
Mar 08, 2007 15:24 |  #21

Thanks everyone!

tony fanning wrote in post #2837948external link
Do you explain to the bride why you are posing her in this way or does honesty not pay in these matters?

Definitely not. I want her to look at her pictures and think, "Man, I'm HOT"...

Massachusetts Wedding Photographerexternal link
My blogexternal link
my facebookexternal link
my gear

sapearl
Cream of the Crop
15,570 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined Dec 2005
Cleveland, Ohio
Mar 08, 2007 15:43 |  #22

Jamie - thanks for taking the time to repost these... now I remember them, just couldn't remember where to look; d'oh!

THIS thread is pursuing a much more constructive direction than that other one. ;) I like the way you provided direction - you obviously put the bride at ease and instilled confidence. It shows in her expression.

GEAR LIST
MY WEBSITEexternal link- MY GALLERIESexternal link- MY BLOGexternal link
Artists Archives of the Western Reserveexternal link - Board

paul33
377 posts
Joined Aug 2002
Peterborough, UK
Mar 08, 2007 15:48 as a reply to sapearl's post |  #23

Maybe its just me being British but I would never dream of "re-shaping" a bride by hiding her behind the groom or shooting at such an angle that 90% of her body is missing.

How do you know the bride isn't proud of the way she looks ? Surely the groom is marrying her for how she really is rather than how we can re-design her using clever photographic techniques.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the science here and can applaud the technique but ...... it doesn't sit right with me at all !!!

Nene Digital Wedding Photographyexternal link

mrslevite
135 posts
Joined Jul 2006
Mar 08, 2007 16:29 |  #24

paul33 wrote in post #2838578external link
Maybe its just me being British but I would never dream of "re-shaping" a bride by hiding her behind the groom or shooting at such an angle that 90% of her body is missing.

How do you know the bride isn't proud of the way she looks ? Surely the groom is marrying her for how she really is rather than how we can re-design her using clever photographic techniques.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the science here and can applaud the technique but ...... it doesn't sit right with me at all !!!

As a full-figured photographer, I would love to be photographed using these posing techniqes and some of my 'assets' hidden.

jamiewexler
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,007 posts
Joined Feb 2006
Grafton, MA
Mar 08, 2007 16:38 |  #25

Paul - you definitely have a valid point - but I think that your outlook is the exception, not the norm. And there are plenty of photos throughout the day that capture everyone as they really are ;)

Massachusetts Wedding Photographerexternal link
My blogexternal link
my facebookexternal link
my gear

Andrea_Leigh3
Mostly Lurking
15 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Mar 08, 2007 16:47 as a reply to post 2836865 |  #26

Great tips & a very beautiful bride. I am photographing a wedding in May and both the B&G are full figured. Do you have any tips?

paul33
377 posts
Joined Aug 2002
Peterborough, UK
Mar 08, 2007 17:35 |  #27

jamiewexler wrote in post #2838868external link
Paul - you definitely have a valid point - but I think that your outlook is the exception, not the norm.

Not in my experience over here but maybe it is a different culture I'm working within !!!

Nene Digital Wedding Photographyexternal link

jessiper
EEK! I don't want a title anymore!
2,067 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Portland, OR USA
Mar 08, 2007 17:40 |  #28

They may be fine w/how they look, but I doubt they'd want to look bigger than they are, which can happen in a photo, even w/a skinny person. So, it's good to keep tips like Jamie's in mind while photographing anyone who isn't stick thin (then you'd be thinking of ways to make them not look like a skeleton).

*Gear: 5D Mark II, 2 5D's, 30D, 85mm 1.8, 50mm 1.4, 24mmL 1.4, 45mm TS-E, 16-35mmL 2.8 II, 70-200L 2.8 IS, 100mm 2.8 macro, 15mm 2.8 fisheye, 580EXII, 580EX, 430EX, AB 800, AB Ring flash, lots of PW's, stands, umbrellas, etc.
Oregon wedding photographerexternal link

Scott_Quier
888 posts
Joined Jul 2006
Newport News, VA
Mar 09, 2007 07:37 |  #29

This has been/will be a very useful thread for me. I have six signed contracts (just starting out and I'm stoked!). The brides nearly cover the complete spectrum (don't have size 0 - yet).

The first bride I signed is easily a size 6 and very cute. The last one I signed is very attractive and quite full-bodied.

I'm thinking I will shoot to reveal reality as well as using the techniques outlined by Jamie and let the bride determine which she likes best.

Scott
Operation: Love Reunitedexternal link
Check out my blogexternal link Gear List

Hassan2285
264 posts
Joined Dec 2005
Atlanta, Ga
Mar 09, 2007 07:48 |  #30

Seem like a really nice couple, espicially since they were willing to work with you, even though its raining.

and they seem so delightful.

5D
580EX
Canon 24-70mm L F2.8
Canon 50mm 1.8 MkII
Hoping to add more soon

sponsored links

217,620 views & 8 likes for this thread
Slimming Posing Techniques (by popular demand)
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.