Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Accessories & Storage
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10th of March 2007 (Sat)   #1
rosselliot

Default << REVIEW >> Domke f-802 Camera Bag

I just recently received this bag in the mail and I absolutely love it. it's amazing how it seems so small, but can hold so much! I did a test to show you what it would be like if you used it as your carry on a big trip. and I do plan on using it during my trip to France over Spring Break and putting about this much in it! so enjoy the pictures, and enjoy my commentary as I go. : )

NOTICE: the bag is perfectly black and it is a nice feeling black canvas. the pictures don't really do it justice. It feels very sturdy and well built. I'm looking forward to using this bag for years to come.

for obvious reasons, I was unable to actual include my camera in any of the photosso I've included two pieces of styrofoam that came with my 24-105 L lens and I was surprised how well it imitated the actual size of the 30D with a battery grip and the 24-105 lens on it.

these latches on the side allow you to actually increase the inside pouch's size. it's a very nice touch.

here's a close up of the front clasp. it's metal and it connects to a metal U ring sewed to the bottom of the ring. the latches are all adjustable and they are all very sturdy and feel weel made and durable.

it has two zipped pockets on the front, these are perfect lens caps, body caps, a poncho maybe, memory cards, or anything of that sort that is small and thin will work perfectly in here. I have a few pens and pencils I like to leave in there too.

the back is plain, and it has a pocket and would be perfect just to slip in papers etc or little pamphlets you pick up on the way or anything like that.

the top handle is a nice feature! if you sit it right by your chair when you're eating or when you go to cafe, it's easy just to pick up by that handle and go on your way. also, since the front flap is connected with the metal clip, it feels very secure to pick up that way and it's a nice touch.

this is a very nice touch. see the gray lines? those are rubber threads weaved into the fabric to prevent slippage!!! it's very nice. but they only show on the under side. the top is perfectly black, no gray lines. it's a great feature in my opinion. and the strap is really comfortable and completely adjustable.
CONTINUED...
Old 10th of March 2007 (Sat)   #2
rosselliot

Default Re: << REVIEW >> Domke f-802 Camera Bag

this is to show the inside and the front pockets, but more to show you a neat feature that other bags I've had have not had. there's a stiff board at the base of the top flap, the part that, when closed, is the top of the bag (where the little handle is). and it makes stay open and it doesn't fold when it's on your shoulder and you can dig around in it when it's on your shoulder because of that.

these are the twop pockets on the inside - surprisingly large when opened.

inside cavity. one large one, and one perfect for magazines.

so here's my test to see how much I can get to fit in here:

this is everything that I was going to try to put in the bag. a change of clothes, all of my camera accessories (my visible dust, lens caps, battery charger, battery door, etc.), my toilletries and medicine (NEVER leave your medicine in your checked bag, what happens if it doesn't show up?! I was going to put THREE lenses in there, plus my camera (a 30D) WITH a battery grip (subsititued with two pieces of styrofoam), a few magazines, my moleskine calender and my Harry Potter book in french (I'm not quite finished...). so let's see how it went...

voila!!!!!

CONTINUED.....
Old 10th of March 2007 (Sat)   #3
rosselliot

there it all is! and that is definitely not something I would take as a change of clothes for my carry on, blue jeans and ralph lauren shirt are not the smallest items to stuff in the back of a bag. I'd recommend some type of wind pants and a t shirt and bring more underwear and socks and under shirts to change. cause it won't take more than a day for your luggage to get there (unless they lost it for good...).

I'll admit that it's a close fit, but it really is all there, I promise. and that just shows that this bag, which seems so small, can fit so much in it! it's a great bag.

and it you're worried about padding, you can buy padding for this bag and and inserts here: CLICK HERE

well, I hope you enjoyed reading my review, and I hope this bag may be the bag of your dreams!!! and if it's not, I hope you find it as I have!

- RE
Old 11th of March 2007 (Sun)   #4
Miyagi-san
Goldmember

This is a great review....pretty much exactly what I was looking for (I think)

You've just about sold me on this bag but of course I need to research others first. Thanks for the write-up, nice work!
Old 12th of March 2007 (Mon)   #5
tsxmike

Great thoruogh review. From what it looks, this bag is extremely versatile. Although I have yet to receive my Tamrac Adventure 9, and see how it fits into my travel commodity, I am still looking for a messenger bag, and I think this might be a winner.
tsxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th of March 2007 (Mon)   #6
Jon

Cocker Spaniel Mod

Great review of a great bag. I took mine to Greece via Heathrow last year. I've added the F-901 and F-902 pouches onto the ends and use the 3-compartment insert. In it I had 5D/24-70 L, 20D/70-200 2.8IS, Sigma 15-30, 580EX, 1.4x and 2x TCs, 35 f/2 and a Toshiba Libretto U-100 (in an outside front pocket. I have an F-801 which I snapped onto the back for extra carry-on; since I could pick it all up by the one handle they accepted it as a single carry-on.

Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities

Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th of March 2007 (Mon)   #7
rosselliot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon View Post
Great review of a great bag. I took mine to Greece via Heathrow last year. I've added the F-901 and F-902 pouches onto the ends and use the 3-compartment insert. In it I had 5D/24-70 L, 20D/70-200 2.8IS, Sigma 15-30, 580EX, 1.4x and 2x TCs, 35 f/2 and a Toshiba Libretto U-100 (in an outside front pocket. I have an F-801 which I snapped onto the back for extra carry-on; since I could pick it all up by the one handle they accepted it as a single carry-on.
WoW! this also proves the versatility of this bag! you can add on attachments - the possibilities are quite endless!

my next project is making my own inserts for this bag, as I want them to be black, not that gray color that is in the links. I just want everything to match...I'm OCD...

- RE
Old 17th of January 2008 (Thu)   #8
steve75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon View Post
Hi Jon any chance of a photo of the bag packed as you described..... what did you do with your lens hoods?

I'm considering one of these or the 804 - or, i might get both and sell my F2 [the f2 is great but not the ideal travel bag...] but some photos could help with the decision..... I'll be looking to house a 1d M3 w/70-200 f2.8IS mounted and 40d w/24-70 mounted [and maybe another lens or flash]

cheers

steve
Old 17th of January 2008 (Thu)   #9
ed rader
"I am not the final word"

i have the same bag and i love it. i use it as laptop case and a day bag when i go out of town or when i am covering an event and don't need all my stuff.

i recommend getting a shoulder pad, which i use on both my domkes .

ed rader

5D3, SL1, 16-35L f4 IS, 24-70L II, 70-300L, 100-400L, 35f2 IS, 15mm FE (sigma), 270ex II, gitzo, markins, benro
ed rader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th of January 2008 (Thu)   #10
ed rader
"I am not the final word"

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve75 View Post
Hi Jon any chance of a photo of the bag packed as you described..... what did you do with your lens hoods?

I'm considering one of these or the 804 - or, i might get both and sell my F2 [the f2 is great but not the ideal travel bag...] but some photos could help with the decision..... I'll be looking to house a 1d M3 w/70-200 f2.8IS mounted and 40d w/24-70 mounted [and maybe another lens or flash]

cheers

steve
i removed one divider from a 3-pocket insert so i can easily carry my 100-400L with hood or another body.

ed rader

5D3, SL1, 16-35L f4 IS, 24-70L II, 70-300L, 100-400L, 35f2 IS, 15mm FE (sigma), 270ex II, gitzo, markins, benro

Last edited by ed rader : 17th of January 2008 (Thu) at 15:26.
ed rader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th of January 2008 (Thu)   #11
Jon

Cocker Spaniel Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve75 View Post

cheers

steve
Left 'em on the lenses, reversed. The 720-230 3-compartment insertr accepts all the way up to the 24-70 or 70-200 2.8 hood no problem.

Cocker Spaniels

PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
Old 17th of January 2008 (Thu)   #12
_aravena
isn't this answer a stickie yet?

I'm curious about this as a camera bag and not a luggage bag.

I guess I can get an idea.
Old 18th of January 2008 (Fri)   #13
Jon

Cocker Spaniel Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by _aravena View Post
I'm curious about this as a camera bag and not a luggage bag.

I guess I can get an idea.
I work from it a lot. It's great for a little bit of gear (in my terms, that's 2 cameras, 3 lenses and a flash).

Cocker Spaniels

Old 10th of February 2008 (Sun)   #14
_aravena
isn't this answer a stickie yet?

Anyone that has this bag can do a better review with just camera gear and not a luggage bag? I'm debating but the biggest thing that has me down are those stupid inserts. A bag should come with them and BH says they don't. I know some do though. So, anyone? I really likek this style of bag and it's this, the Lima, or the 5MDH. I had the 5MDH so I know what it does and I like it. I've seen the Lima in reviews and it seems to hold what I want, but not sure of size.

So, anyone? I know Jon seems to be out so...anyone else I guess?
Old 4th of April 2008 (Fri)   #15
qwalls

Quote:
Originally Posted by _aravena View Post
Anyone that has this bag can do a better review with just camera gear and not a luggage bag? I'm debating but the biggest thing that has me down are those stupid inserts. A bag should come with them and BH says they don't. I know some do though. So, anyone? I really likek this style of bag and it's this, the Lima, or the 5MDH. I had the 5MDH so I know what it does and I like it. I've seen the Lima in reviews and it seems to hold what I want, but not sure of size.

So, anyone? I know Jon seems to be out so...anyone else I guess?
I just got one. Stay tuned.