Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 17 Mar 2007 (Saturday) 20:00
Search threadPrev/next
POLL: "Did you find this helpful?"
Yes
91.8%
No
8.2%

159 voters, 159 votes given (1 choice only choices can be voted per member)). VOTING IS FOR MEMBERS ONLY.
BROWSE ALL POLLS
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sigma 55-200 vs Tamron 55-200 FULL REVIEW!

HoosierJoe
Goldmember
2,575 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 02, 2008 06:54 as a reply to  @ post 4835330 |  #331

Just picked one up and took a few test shots. Looks like I won't be disappointed. This will be an occassional lens mainly for outdoor use.

Thanks for the review.

Ain't nothin but a thing.

sponsored links
SLED-WERX ­ Racing
229 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Feb 21, 2008 20:16 |  #332
bannedPermanent ban

any high speed object shots with this lens to share? if so list camera settings used with your shots and thanks

picked this up off Air Miles to shoot sleds out on the ice in bright conditions

ZeroQuest
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Feb 24, 2008 21:29 |  #333

I picked up this lens recently and finally got around to trying it out today. Most of the images I shot were pretty soft, even at 55 f/9. Maybe I got a bad copy? Has anyone else picked up one lately? I'll try to post some samples, but they were all very soft.

bauerman
discount on value meals
3,457 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Feb 24, 2008 23:03 |  #334

ZeroQuest wrote in post #4987985 (external link)
I picked up this lens recently and finally got around to trying it out today. Most of the images I shot were pretty soft, even at 55 f/9. Maybe I got a bad copy? Has anyone else picked up one lately? I'll try to post some samples, but they were all very soft.

Here is the link to the samples thread for this lens. You can look through many good examples of what this lens can do here and also post some of your own. My copy certainly would not be soft at f9.....you may have an issue but without some samples it would be hard to tell what the problem might be.

HighLife
661 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 24, 2008 23:20 |  #335

what was the shutter speed used when you shot at F9 and 55mm?

Canon 590IS/CHDKMy Flickr (external link)

ZeroQuest
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Feb 24, 2008 23:33 |  #336

I shot from 1/100 up to around 1/400, maybe higher. I'll have some up by tomorrow for sure. I've seen the samples, I actually ordered it because of this thread. I'm disappointed, but since I'm new to Canon (moved from a Nikon D70 to a Rebel XTi) I'm still a little rough around the edges with this camera. It could easily be user error. Just trying to get one image out of the cam as sharp as I've seen here is proving difficult.

Nick_C
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,042 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Feb 25, 2008 04:48 |  #337

ZeroQuest wrote in post #4987985 (external link)

If your shutter speeds were high enough for the focal length used then the other most likely culprit would be AF accuracy, remember this is a budget lens & as such AF accuracy is not that great (especially on say a 350D).

You could try some focus tests, rather than the chart method which I have found to be useless except in the most extreme problems of a lens front/back focussing, the best is to try some objects a few meters away from you.

AF accuracy improved a lot when I tried it on my 5D, but generally this is a problem for all budget lenses, especially when mounted on cheaper bodies, the new Canon 18-55IS also has a so so AF accuracy on a 350D & generally Canon's AF is far more accurate than Sigma or Tamron.

But yes it could also be that you have a poor copy, if you are in ANY doubt, get it exchanged for another.

HighLife
661 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 25, 2008 13:06 |  #338

I dunno if the 350D has this or not...but on my 20D there is a custom setting that allows you to just use the little joystick to point which focus point in the lens you want. If you do not have this set , you will use the little square (with the arrows inside) that you will have to push before you select the AF point.

I didnt learn this till a friend pointed it out to me. Now its MUCH MUCH easier to just pick which point i want when its a hard to focus subject.

Again, i dunno if this will help you or if you have this setting....

ZeroQuest
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Feb 25, 2008 23:25 |  #339

I have a XTi/400D. I believe the focus works like the 30D. I could be wrong. I haven't gotten around to putting pics up yet. Will tomorrow, been really busy.

I knew about the focal point setting, thanks though. :)

Nick_C
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,042 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Feb 26, 2008 04:28 |  #340

ZeroQuest wrote in post #4996072 (external link)
I have a XTi/400D. I believe the focus works like the 30D. I could be wrong. I haven't gotten around to putting pics up yet. Will tomorrow, been really busy.

I knew about the focal point setting, thanks though. :)

Yes the focus on the 400D is virtually the same as the 30D.

HighLife
661 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 27, 2008 12:17 |  #341

Houston.....THE EAGLE HAS LANDED, i repeat....THE EAGLE HAS LANDED =)

Now i gotta wait for my battery to charge...wait for the rain to go away and need to finish up my raid in EQ2 and im going to take some shots.

This is my very first shot taken, right after i mounted the lens to make sure it was functional before i left feedback. Was able to get off a shot before my battery went dead ahah...figures.

No Photoshop, nothing cept for resize (No sharpening added when resized) Im very happy with the sharpness of that pic...and this is just the first...cant wait till i got some really good shots with it later.

Also, something i cant seem to find...whats the min focus distance for this lens?

F13, flash used (430ex), 1/250th, 200mm, ISO 100

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/png'

Nick_C
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,042 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Feb 27, 2008 12:23 |  #342

The MFD is approx 1.1 meters, your copy is looking good on that shot.

bauerman
discount on value meals
3,457 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Feb 27, 2008 12:25 |  #343

Yep looking good indeed - be sure to post samples to the samples thread for this lens....we want to have that thread grow to the size of some of the threads of its counterparts.

bauerman
discount on value meals
3,457 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Feb 27, 2008 12:27 |  #344

Nick_C wrote in post #5006804 (external link)
The MFD is approx 1.1 meters, your copy is looking good on that shot.

To put that in US terms - about 43 inches.... :D;)

HighLife
661 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 27, 2008 12:32 |  #345

bauerman wrote in post #5006828 (external link)
To put that in US terms - about 43 inches.... :D;)

haha ya i got use to going to ft from meters =)

I should have some shots soon, just waiting for battery to charge....

sponsored links

166,530 views & 0 likes for this thread
Sigma 55-200 vs Tamron 55-200 FULL REVIEW!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.