FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge
Thread started 27 Mar 2007 (Tuesday) 11:25   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

detzX
Joined Dec 2005
137 posts
Boston, MA - USA
[MORE/SHARE]

I have a hard time finding place to take photos. I have a big field(sand pits) around my house but everything seems boring and bland. I look at some of the pictures on here and they are so colorful and great, I want these! :) Any suggestions on great places to look for photo opportunities?

Post #1, Mar 27, 2007 11:25:13

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
sblais
I am silly
Joined Oct 2006
3,532 posts
Ottawa, ON (Canada, eh!)
[MORE/SHARE]

Cinques Terres (Italy), Banff (Canada), the Swiss Alps are some of my yet to see places. I'm sure that you'll be able to take a few good shots there!

Seriously, if you want good pictures wherever you are, observe and exploit the light. Different lighting conditions make us go "wow!". A sunset, sunrise, moonlight, etc...

Post #2, Mar 27, 2007 11:28:56

Sebastien
| Gear List |

There are no great men, only great challenges that ordinary men are forced by circumstances to meet. -- Admiral William Halsey

agaupt
Joined Dec 2006
93 posts
Ma
[MORE/SHARE]

Your location says Boston, Ma., there are a ton of places to take pictures. And withing 30 minutes of you there are a lot of towns, Gloucester/rockport to the north, Lexington and concord, to the west. Logan Airport

Post #3, Mar 27, 2007 11:31:27 as a reply to sblais's post 2 minutes earlier.

detzX
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Dec 2005
137 posts
Boston, MA - USA
[MORE/SHARE]

I work in Boston..I do take my camera to work sometimes but I always feel nervous doing that. There are great buildings around here but I mean "in general". I like to take my camera hiking too but never seem to find "that shot". :*(

Also, when I walk around town I feel weird, everyone stares at me since I use my big white lens.

Post #4, Mar 27, 2007 11:41:36

zacker
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jan 2005
6,005 posts
Oxford, CT.
[MORE/SHARE]

lotsa places here in the Northeast... although you might have to drive a bit but Boston's got tons of stuff... i have seen alot of great boston shots posted here before!

Post #5, Mar 27, 2007 11:56:29

http://www.theanimalha​ven.comexternal link
My Facebook, Friend me If you want!http://www.facebook.co​m/brokenfencephotograp​hyexternal link

http://www.facebook.co​m/theanimalhaven?ref=t​sexternal link

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
txduggan
Goldmember
Joined Feb 2006
1,000 posts
Fishkill, NY, Hudson Valley, NY
[MORE/SHARE]

Sounds like you need to open your mind a bit...

I'm not being crude...but as far as I'm concerned, EVERYTHING is a photo-op to me...

Not discounting the other's suggestions, but instead of worrying about where to go, start working on how you "see" things....

To piggyback on another responder's post; it's all about the light....

Start looking at things differently....

Instead of looking at your kitchen/dining room table and saying, "Yep, that's a table alright..",
start looking at it in terms of how it is lit....

Find the interesting shapes the light is making with the table....

If it's a wood table, notice how the grains look at different times of the day....especially at sunrise and sunset (if in fact the light hits the table...but I hope you're getting my point)

When driving/walking/whatev​er, look at shapes...shadows....li​ght....balance.....is what you're looking at cluttered? What would make the scene better? worse?

Then, apply that to your immediate surroundings at home and start experiemting....

Like Dorothy in The Wizard of Oz said at the end...you don't have to go looking for happiness any further than your own backyard...

Or something to that effect.....I'm middle-aged...and drowsy....with really bad dandruff....

Tom D

Post #6, Mar 30, 2007 20:51:05

Gear: Yes - Rides quads really slow - Likes shiny things...
Wings of Love Photographyexternal link
Wings of Love FaceBook Pageexternal link
Tom Duggan Photographyexternal link

S.Horton
dǝǝɥs ɐ ʎq pǝʞuɐds
Joined Dec 2006
17,808 posts
Lehigh Valley, PA
[MORE/SHARE]

Ah, I lived there.

Go to Cape Cod, get up before sunrise, go to the rocks (beach) by a lighthouse or pier, then when the sun starts to come up, turn around, start shooting.

If you can get there, go to the cranberry bogs in spring.

Concord-Lexington bridge (the low angle, with the statue in the background)

And I'll bet something lives in those dunes.

Post #7, Mar 30, 2007 20:59:58

Sam - TF Says Ishmael
http://midnightblue.sm​ugmug.comexternal link
Want your title changed?Dream On!external link
[SIZE=2]:cool:

milleker
Goldmember
Joined Feb 2006
1,851 posts
Baltimore, Maryland
[MORE/SHARE]

It takes awhile - realize that you are used to your surroundings, we aren't. There has got to be something interesting to shoot.

And - failing that, theres always Macro subjects.

Post #8, Mar 30, 2007 23:40:35

---John Milleker Jr.--
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯​¯¯
Web Links: My Homepageexternal link
Photography Weblogexternal linkFlickrexternal linkMaryland POTN Meetup Threadexternal linkDonate to POTN!external linkhttp://www.johnmilleke​r.com/weblogexternal link

PhotosGuy
Joined Feb 2004
69,094 posts
S. E. Michigan
[MORE/SHARE]

What to photograph? Am I the only one struggling?

Post #9, Mar 31, 2007 10:55:23

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1280 pixels on any side.

Glenn ­ NK
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2006
4,629 posts
Victoria, BC
[MORE/SHARE]

Boston - wow - spent a week there during the marathon two years ago and only had a P/S. What a major disappointment.

Now with a 30D, I wish I could go back - literally hundreds of photo ops. I could fill a few 2GB cards in a day, no sweat.

Partial list:

1. Beautiful historic buildings, particularly churches - look at them up close for the details in the architecture. Don't forget Harvard and MIT. We often look at the whole building (which is not bad), and miss the fabulous details.

2. The park - Boston Common - full of good stuff.

3. Along the river from both sides.

4. The subway - really interesting street photography of the musicians.

5. Scientology buildings - the detail on the original church building is fantastic - use ultra wide angle and telephoto lenses.

6. The Firehall - beautiful old brick building and the firemen are willing and obliging.

7. The Marathon itself - not just the runners, but the crowds - literally all sorts and types.

8. The stadium exterior with the green structural steel frames; the crowds outside during a baseball game.

9. Look carefully (already recommended) during the Golden Hours - one hour after sunrise, and one hour before sunset, but don't rule out before sunrise and after sunset.

Boston is shouting - look at me - take my picture.:D

I thought Boston was a very photogenic city, even apart from the history.

Post #10, Mar 31, 2007 11:28:46

When did voluptuous become voluminous?

LIST NEARBY THREADS
640 views & 0 likes for this thread
Where to take photo's.
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES