Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge
Thread started 06 Apr 2007 (Friday) 15:31
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

media press ?

tsw910
Goldmember
2,650 posts
Joined Oct 2005
Nyc
Apr 06, 2007 15:31 |  #1

Hi Guys

i have a quick question on media press ? like press Credentials? how would one obtain one or what do they need to provide to get Credentials entrance to such shows as the NYIAS and other shows? i am not trying to get out of paying for entrance .. but alot of places wouldn't allow bags even for camera gear .. so if someone has any ideas on how or what .. please let me know

thanks in advance

Scuba Tom
http://tomwangphotogra​phy.comexternal linkNYC Wedding Photographerexternal linkhttp://www.tomwangphot​ography.com/external link

sponsored links
Woolburr
Mr. PMS Himself
Joined Sep 2005
The Tupperware capitol of eastern Oregon...Leicester, NC!
Apr 06, 2007 16:25 |  #2

tsw910 wrote in post #2996685external link
Hi Guys

i have a quick question on media press ? like press Credentials? how would one obtain one or what do they need to provide to get Credentials entrance to such shows as the NYIAS and other shows? i am not trying to get out of paying for entrance .. but alot of places wouldn't allow bags even for camera gear .. so if someone has any ideas on how or what .. please let me know

thanks in advance

Easiest way to get a media credential is to be a member of the media. Sorry to be blunt, but that is reality. If you work for an established media outlet, they can assist you in the process of obtaining the necessary credentials. Check with smaller outlets see if you can become established.

People that know me call me Dan
You'll never be a legitimate photographer until you have an award winning duck in your portfolio!
Crayons,Coloring Book,external link Refrigerator Artexternal link and What I Really Think Aboutexternal link

swiftybilko
985 posts
Joined Apr 2005
Leafy North Cheshire
Apr 06, 2007 16:34 |  #3

The blunt answer above is probably accurate, but try contacting the organisations.

I've had more failures that successes, but it can work. You may at least get some useful info.

If you don't ask, you won't get. The worst that will happen is that they'll say no.

"Since any reasonable person would choose a Mac over a PC, Apple's market share does provide us with an accurate reading of the percentage of reasonable people in our society." Roger Ebert

Visit my websiteexternal link.

rhys
Dis-Membered
5,351 posts
Joined May 2006
Columbia SC
Apr 06, 2007 17:01 |  #4

Perhaps start your own website/magazine dedicated to whatever interests you, write a few nice articles then write to the venus asking for a press pass, citing your magazine/website. Get some advertising on the site also (maybe even get some of that pay-per-click type of advert). When they look to check up on you, they see a business website (which it actually will be by then) and might issue a pass to you. If not then you simply put a list up of venus that offered passes and those that did not on your website. Next time you'll find people more willing to offer them. You could say "Pictures of the Parish Airshow are unavailable as the organisers did not issue a press pass". Edit your hit counter so that it shows a ton of hits and perhaps increment it yourself occasionally.

Rhys

The empire conquers yet more galaxies:
www.sageworld.co.ukexternal link
www.sageworld.orgexternal link
www.sagephotoworld.comexternal link
Blog: http://360.yahoo.com/t​hunderintheheavensexternal link

Free cheese comes only in mousetraps

tsw910
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,650 posts
Joined Oct 2005
Nyc
Apr 07, 2007 00:45 |  #5

thanks guys .. i really appreicate the bluntness .. im not a child so i can take it .. thanks once again and i will try to establish some kinda of media form of a web page and build from there .. thanks again guys

Scuba Tom
http://tomwangphotogra​phy.comexternal linkNYC Wedding Photographerexternal linkhttp://www.tomwangphot​ography.com/external link

Karl ­ C
Goldmember
1,953 posts
Joined Apr 2006
Now: N 39°36' 8.2" W 104°53' 58"; prev N 43°4' 33" W 88°13' 23"; home N 34°7' 0" W 118°16' 18"
Apr 07, 2007 08:43 as a reply to tsw910's post |  #6

You might want to do a search of this topic and read the posts from IndyJeff. He has a lot of experience regarding press passes and pretty strong opinions on their intended use.

Gear: Kodak Brownie and homemade pin-hole cameras. Burlap sack for a bag.

Woolburr
Mr. PMS Himself
Joined Sep 2005
Apr 07, 2007 08:50 |  #7

Trying to scam your way into an event does everyone a disservice. Your own website is not a media outlet in the eyes of most venues. Find a community paper that might have an interest in the event. Start with small events and work your way up. If you deliver a quality product, it won't take you long to get noticed and get better assignments and options. The tried and true method is going to beat the scheme every day.

You'll never be a legitimate photographer until you have an award winning duck in your portfolio!
Crayons,Coloring Book,external link Refrigerator Artexternal link and What I Really Think Aboutexternal link

rhys
Dis-Membered
5,351 posts
Joined May 2006
Columbia SC
Apr 07, 2007 10:42 |  #8

Woolburr wrote in post #3000023external link
Trying to scam your way into an event does everyone a disservice. Your own website is not a media outlet in the eyes of most venues. Find a community paper that might have an interest in the event. Start with small events and work your way up. If you deliver a quality product, it won't take you long to get noticed and get better assignments and options. The tried and true method is going to beat the scheme every day.

If he puts together a site and runs it decently as a news site then he could:
A. get income from the site
B. get something that he could use to further his career
C. get press passes.

I don't know what events he wants to get into but this is my recommendation and I'm sticking with it.

Rhys

Woolburr
Mr. PMS Himself
Joined Sep 2005
Apr 07, 2007 11:15 |  #9

Your recommendations are legendary. Fortunately most folks have enough sense to ignore them.

Karl ­ C
Goldmember
1,953 posts
Joined Apr 2006
Now: N 39°36' 8.2" W 104°53' 58"; prev N 43°4' 33" W 88°13' 23"; home N 34°7' 0" W 118°16' 18"
Apr 07, 2007 11:39 as a reply to Woolburr's post |  #10

Sorry Rhys but I'm with Dan on this one. The OP is looking for a press pass based only on his desire to take a camera bag into certain shows. That's not a legimate reason.

Press passes are for use by legimate, credentialed press folks - as it should be. Creating a questionable news "site" just for the sole purpose of obtaining a press pass isn't smart and could be construed as ethically questionable.

If someone wants a press pass, be a member of the press (in some form) and go through the process of being legimately credentialed.

Gear: Kodak Brownie and homemade pin-hole cameras. Burlap sack for a bag.

Steve ­ Parr
should have taken his own advice
6,593 posts
Joined Feb 2005
San Diego, CA
Apr 07, 2007 13:03 |  #11
banned

Your own website is not a media outlet in the eyes of most venues.

In all fairness, though, if a venue is satisfied by the website, then doesn't the onus shift from the photographer to the venue?

Mind you, I'm not supporting this type of thing, but just pointing out that the venue is going to have the final say. If the website satisfies their criteria, then it satisfies their criteria...

Steve

Canon Bodies, Canon Lenses, Sigma Lenses, Various "Stuff"...

OnStage Photographyexternal link

rhys
Dis-Membered
5,351 posts
Joined May 2006
Columbia SC
Apr 07, 2007 14:24 |  #12

Plus... If he can put together a good enough website that attracts visitors then it might both generate advertising income and site income.

Let's take a look at DCResource. The proprieter, Jeff Keller, started the site out of interest back in November 1997. This site is now his main source of income and genrates a million hits a year at least. He gets press passes very easily and this is just a hobby site that exploded very sucessfully.

Now, if the OP followed a similar path. I will cite aviation photography as an example. If he sets up an aviation site and applies for press passes to air-shows, airports and so on then publishes the photos and becomes successful then more power to him. To those that decry this - I hope you enjoy scrabbling for other people's scraps by working as an employee.

Rhys

tsw910
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,650 posts
Joined Oct 2005
Nyc
Apr 08, 2007 00:28 |  #13

i do understand what and where everyone is coming from and saying for the most part ..

my main reason to obtain a press pass is not to just to get a camera bag in or for " free " entrance as i stated in the first post .. i basically just want to go out and be able to get good enough location for shots and be able to go on days where the public isnt in your shot like the NY International auto show .. and i do know i sound kinda snubbish for saying something like this as a rookie .. but im willing to learn the ropes and climb my way to where i need to be ..

plus, i do understand where i have to pay my dues as a rookie or amatuer photographer in order to get passes into bigger events like major race cars, bikes or fashion show for that matter .. and i am in no means of trying to get a press pass as a phony press of some sort of big media company.

all in all .. i just want to be able to build my scrap book off my hobby as a photographer. i hope i didn't offend anyone or started any type of ethical standard. i have seen so many shots on here where most guys have total access to some major events and i do understand those guys have been doing this for a long time and has a great reputation as a photographer .. but they all must've started somewhere .. and thats all i want to do .. is a place to start .. i hope you guys all understand

Scuba Tom

tsw910
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,650 posts
Joined Oct 2005
Nyc
Apr 08, 2007 00:34 |  #14

Dan, i do understand what you are saying .. but i am in no way trying to scam my way into any events, and i do understand why you would say something like that from my first posts .. sorry if i wasn't being clear on why i want to obtain a press pass.. i guess i should've been alittle more clear on why i want to get a press pass to events ..

Scuba Tom

tsw910
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,650 posts
Joined Oct 2005
Nyc
Apr 08, 2007 00:35 |  #15

btw, what does OP stand for ? and is that a referral to me ? sorry if i sound really stupid on photography terms

Scuba Tom

sponsored links

3,757 views & 0 likes for this thread
media press ?
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.