Thread started 17 Apr 2004 (Saturday) 00:25   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

IndyJeff
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2003
1,892 posts
Indianapolis, IN
[MORE/SHARE]

I mean, I just saw a post from a new guy who has been lurking here for a year. His location? South Africa. Ever notice where people are from on this board? It is truely and international experience.
I have talked thru PM with a member about my families roots in Scotland, seen members locations from all over the world. I mean, how wonderful is it that just about anyone here can go to a country, anywhere in the world and know someone. Ok, maybe it is not like an old buddy from way back but, still there is some familiarity there.

I would like to take this moment to extend an offer to anyone who may be traveling throughout the US, if your planning a trip and Indy is on the agenda, please let me know. I would be happy to show you my town. I would like to think that if I ever get a chance to go to the UK, Meerkat would offer up a guided tour of his homeland or, Pekka would give me the .25 cent tour of his city, as any of you would offer to do.

I guess what I am saying is, if your traveling, and your going to be in a location where there is a member, contact that member and say, "Hey I am going to be in your town on such and such date. Would it be possible to meet up?

One of these days, there has to be an International Canon Digital Photography Forum Convention. I only speak 5 languages tho, American, Englsh, Australian, Canadian and New Zealander. Anything else and I am lost. LOL Ok so I am lost anyway, sue me.

Post #1, Apr 17, 2004 00:25:57

On shooting sports...If you see it happen then you didn't get it.

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
PeterS45
Joined Nov 2002
518 posts
Almere - The Netherlands
[MORE/SHARE]

IndyJeff wrote:
I only speak 5 languages tho, American, Engilsh, Australian, Canadian and New Zealander. Anything else and I am lost. LOL Ok so I am lost anyway, sue me.

But you must also speak South-African, don't you :lol: ?

By the way: Good Idea and I might keep you to your promise when I'm going to travel through the US by car next year starting from New York.

And when anybody wants to go sightseeing in Amsterdam?? I'm available as photographic guide :) :) .

Post #2, Apr 17, 2004 09:13:15

EOS 350D/Rebel XT, Sigma 18-125 & 55-200mm.

Belmondo
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jul 2003
42,727 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Indy Jeff was gracious enough to point me in the right direction for some excellent hotels in Indianapolis on my last cross-country trip. I'm willing to bet he means what he says.

He's good people.

Tom

Post #3, Apr 17, 2004 09:20:46

I'm not short. I'm concentrated awesome!

IndyJeff
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2003
1,892 posts
Indianapolis, IN
[MORE/SHARE]

Thanks Belmondo and yes I do mean what I say. Another message board I used to frequent, had about 3 members come thru Indy. I took all of them on a 3 hour tour of the town. They loved it.

Yeah, I speak S. African too. Guess that would be 6 languages fluently huh?
And Peter if you come thru, I can take you and show you where a fellow countryman of yours made his claim to fame, twice. Any idea of whom I speak of?

Post #4, Apr 17, 2004 11:44:06

iwatkins
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2003
1,510 posts
Gloucestershire, UK
[MORE/SHARE]

IndyJeff,

Hey, thanks for the offer, I'm on my way. 2 week stay OK ? :lol:

Seriously, that is a kind offer, and I would certainly do the same to anyone travelling through my part of the world.

As for "an International Canon Digital Photography Forum Convention", that isn't too bad an idea. I used to hang out on a forum many years ago for Toyota Celica GT4s. There must have been about 40 really active members from all over the world. We had a mini-meet in the UK with a couple of guys from Australia and the USA included (we showed them a great time with motorsport and proper drinking ;)). Late the next year we had a much bigger meet in the US. Great times, great times.

Cheers

Ian

Post #5, Apr 17, 2004 14:44:45

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
Jesper
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2003
2,742 posts
The Netherlands
[MORE/SHARE]

IndyJeff wrote:
I mean, I just saw a post from a new guy who has been lurking here for a year. His location? South Africa. Ever notice where people are from on this board? It is truely and international experience.

Welcome to the wonderful world of the internet! :) I remember a long time ago, probably around 1992 or 1993, when I was surfing the Internet using a text-based browser named Lynx (and Gopher was another one), I somehow met a school teacher from Denver. He wanted to teach his students what internet was, and I was e-mailing with some of his students. Incredible if you think about it, how you can just get to know people anywhere so easily.

If you, or anyone else, is visiting the Netherlands, please feel free to contact me - meeting people in real life, especially who have the same interests, is even more fun than a virtual meeting on the internet. :)

Post #6, Apr 17, 2004 14:53:24

Canon EOS 5D Mark III

PeterS45
Joined Nov 2002
518 posts
Almere - The Netherlands
[MORE/SHARE]

IndyJeff wrote:
Thanks Belmondo and yes I do mean what I say. Another message board I used to frequent, had about 3 members come thru Indy. I took all of them on a 3 hour tour of the town. They loved it.

Yeah, I speak S. African too. Guess that would be 6 languages fluently huh?
And Peter if you come thru, I can take you and show you where a fellow countryman of yours made his claim to fame, twice. Any idea of whom I speak of?

That should be Arie, shouldn't it? :lol:

Post #7, Apr 17, 2004 15:42:47

EOS 350D/Rebel XT, Sigma 18-125 & 55-200mm.

pradeep1
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2003
2,320 posts
Georgia, USA
[MORE/SHARE]

I can give guidance on pretty much the entire Eastern USA, Texas, Chicago, Utah, Arizona, little California, India, Singapore, and the Bahamas.

Post #8, May 01, 2004 02:22:12

Please view my portfolioexternal link.

shelbix2020
Joined Nov 2003
475 posts
Orange County, CA
[MORE/SHARE]

that is funny, I dont really think about it too much .... I just helped out these guys with their forum, getting it started, populated and what not, and I have no clue who they are!! I just know theyre some cool people over in the UK lol ... but then again it doesnt really matter where they live, unless you wanna meet up :D

Post #9, May 01, 2004 03:12:08

Im pretty much like the best that I know of.

IndyJeff
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2003
1,892 posts
Indianapolis, IN
[MORE/SHARE]

PeterS45, yep that would be Arie. Last year one of my friends was crew chief for Arie Jr so I had an opportunity, well several actually to meet Arie. He was pretty cool and his son is alright as well.
Thats one thing I can thank photography for, I have met numerous Indy 500 winners (about 12 that I can think of off the top of my head), NASCAR stars and a couple of movie/TV stars. One of my favorites was James Garner (Rockford Files). That guy is the same as his character Rockford was. I try to manage to run into him each year just to say hi again and talk about the race, his show and anything that comes up.

Post #10, May 02, 2004 00:41:06

LIST NEARBY THREADS
1,069 views & 0 likes for this thread
Do you really think about it?
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES