LIST NEARBY THREADS

habakuk
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2005
2,391 posts
Switzerland
[MORE/SHARE]

IMAGE: http://www.voegtli.net/gallery/concept/amos_004_300.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: http://www.voegtli.net ...concept/amos_004_10​00.jpg]external link

(click to get a 1000pix version. this is the minimum size to get a decent effect...)

Once more... "A matter of scale".

After reading the book "Perception and Imaging" by Richard D. Zackia, I went out and started to experiment with the effect of introducing a wrong scale object into a simple shot of something quite familar, like a stone or some tree bark. I wanted to see how the brain reacts to see such a object, how it changes the perception, or how much easier it is for the brain to see something different, just by adding a wrong reference to a known scale.

AMOS N°001: a simple stone, approx. 30 cm height, 45° angle

AMOS N°002: tree bark (birch), approx. 15 cm width, four little color spots added

AMOS N°3: another stone, approx. 20 cm height

AMOS N°004: fallen tree with moss, approx. 15 cm shown here

I think N°2 is quite interesting. Without the color specks, it's clearly a tree bark - what else could it be. However, as soon as the brain detects the color specks, and interprets them as people, the whole scale changes, and at least myself has no problem seeing this picture as a aerial shot.

Interesting thing to contemplate about that effect, and what it means to place other objects into the main scene.

cheers
®

Post #1, Apr 09, 2007 15:09:45

More on my BLOGexternal link ::: www.punctumgallery.chexternal link ::: www.driftingaway.orgexternal link ::: www.goodeye.chexternal link | Creativity & perception workshopsexternal link
Virtual Exhibitions:
Bauwelten Neufeldzubringerexternal link | Sternspurenexternal link | Anderswelt (Otherworld)external link

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
Olli
-Mighty Mod-
Joined Aug 2005
5,314 posts
Finland
[MORE/SHARE]

One more great series, Ronald.

Though I 'guessed' the second, I still consider that as my favorite. I have tried this 'cheating' some time ago, but I'm truly intrigued to see somebody mastering these.

Post #2, Apr 29, 2007 15:21:36

- olli
My blogexternal link
"The best travel is a leap in the dark. If the destination were familiar and friendly what would be the point in going there?" (Paul Theroux: Dark Star Safari)
Image Posting Rules

habakuk
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2005
2,391 posts
Switzerland
[MORE/SHARE]

Thanks Olli. Well, I feel "mastering" is certainly exaggerated... but I'm getting thehang of that principle - and I love it. It opens up such a nice play field!

cheers
®

Post #3, Apr 30, 2007 18:06:33

More on my BLOGexternal link ::: www.punctumgallery.chexternal link ::: www.driftingaway.orgexternal link ::: www.goodeye.chexternal link | Creativity & perception workshopsexternal link
Virtual Exhibitions:
Bauwelten Neufeldzubringerexternal link | Sternspurenexternal link | Anderswelt (Otherworld)external link

gooble
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2006
3,149 posts
Mesa,AZ
[MORE/SHARE]

I took this recently and thought it looked like a large cliff. I hadn't thought of inserting objects into it to strengthen the impression though. You've given me a good idea.

IMAGE NOT FOUND IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
http://farm1.static.fl​ickr.com ...72135903_e39c8c1b6b​_m.jpgexternal link
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif'

Larger size here: http://www.flickr.com ...s/16097424@N00/4721​35903/external link

Post #4, Apr 30, 2007 18:19:21 as a reply to habakuk's post 12 minutes earlier.

habakuk
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2005
2,391 posts
Switzerland
[MORE/SHARE]

Why, yes, add something of a small scale to the scene, and you get another AMOS example!

cheers
®

Post #5, May 02, 2007 02:22:45

Virtual Exhibitions:

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

LIST NEARBY THREADS
1,350 views & 0 likes for this thread
AMOS N°004 - wild, wild west
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Nature & Landscapes

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES