Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Canon G-series Digital Cameras
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 19th of May 2001 (Sat)   #1
rimealbatross

Default Newbie with Grainy Results

I'm new to digital photogaphy, so I'm not really always sure what I'm looking at. Especially when I shoot a portrait on AUTO with the largest resolution level "L", the results look grainy when I view it in Photoshop, Draw, etc.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks!
rimealbatross is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 20th of May 2001 (Sun)   #2
Pekka
El General Moderator

Default Re: Newbie with Grainy Results

Use P mode and set the camera (menu) to ISO 50. This should help.

Are you viewing the photos in 16, 24 or 36-bit display mode? If your computer is set to 256 colors you can't see the real image quality in any case.

----------------------------
Pekka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th of May 2001 (Sun)   #3
rimealbatross

Pekka,

Thanks for the quick response! It would've taken me a long time to figure that one out. I'll try both of these, and "post back" my findings.

Great! I have a lead to work with here.

Thanks again!
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 23rd of May 2001 (Wed)   #4
rimealbatross

Pekka,

Your assertion that I can't see the true quality of a picture at 256 colors was correct! I went into the "Windows Display Properties Setting" and changed from 256 colors to "True Color (24 bit)", and it made all the difference!

I appreciate your expertise on this. I know a lot about computers --relatively speaking, and I can't imagine how long It would've taken to figure this out.

Just so others know. Prior to making the above changes my "L" "Auto" pictures had a "grainy" appearance --actually it looked like I had a very subtle "fabric" textured background to all of my pictures. Changing the settings to "True Color (24 bit)" seemed to have chased that artifact away.

Thanks again!