Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Wildlife
Thread started 23 Apr 2004 (Friday) 21:46
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Isabella Toger Longwing - Justaredandyellowbutterfly

Scottes
Trigger Man - POTN Retired
12,842 posts
Joined Nov 2003
A Little North Of Boston, MA, USA
Apr 23, 2004 21:46 |  #1

Isabella Toger Longwing (Isabella Eueides) taken at a local butterfly house. Canon 10D, Sigma 105mm Macro, 420 EX with Lumiquest Ultrasoft, f/10, 1/160, FEC +2/3, ISO 100

In many ways this looks underexposed to me, but so far I've taken about 40 pictures of one of these guys across 3 outings and today was the first time I got yellow in the wing like it is in real life.

I have a tendency to visit these butterfly houses on dismal or rainy days - why waste the sun? - so I tend to be very dependent on flash when I shoot them. (They'll be outside soon, I hope.) The 420 EX is not fun when you're totally dependent on flash - a 550 EX is starting to look very useful. I've found a good diffusion device to be very helpful with dark butterfly houses due to the glare of their scales. The OmniBounce doesn't do much, the Lumiquest Pocket Bounce is still too harsh this close because it doesn't diffuse. The Lumiquest Ultrasoft seems to be pretty darn good.

Of course all this goes out the window when I start chasing them outside in the sun. :)

Any comments or critiques about the picture or the above prattle is appreciated.

IMAGE: http://www.itsanadventure.com/postimages/IsabellaTiger750_3681.jpg

You can take my 100-400 L away when you pry it from my cold, dead fingers.
Scottes' Rum Pages - Rum Reviews And Infoexternal link
Follower of Fidget - Joined the cult of HAMSTTR©

sponsored links
shniks
Goldmember
1,041 posts
Joined Jan 2004
Melbourne, Australia
Apr 24, 2004 00:43 |  #2

Its beautiful, I feel I can almost reach over and touch it.

IanD
Cream of the Crop
Honorary Moderator
Joined Dec 2003
Montreal, Canada
Apr 24, 2004 03:21 |  #3

Really nice capture. Colours are excellent.

Ian (®Feathers & Fur)
Have You Hugged Your Mallard Today?
More Images- (external link)My Gear

stoneylonesome
Barn Stormer
10,460 posts
Joined Aug 2003
Connecticut, USA
Apr 24, 2004 04:58 |  #4

Great shot, you are so right outside in the garden FORGET IT they just fly around to darn fast :lol:

the name is Winston but they call me Sandy
"Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer." --W. C. Fields
Flowing River Photosexternal link

JZaun
Goldmember
2,488 posts
Joined Jan 2004
Apr 24, 2004 05:29 |  #5

Yep I'm gonna have to pay more attention If I hope to learn how do get great butterfly shots like that one :D

JZ

Laziferous
Goldmember
1,570 posts
Joined Jun 2003
Baltimore, MD
Apr 24, 2004 07:01 |  #6

Nicely done Scott!

blah something clever blah blahdie blah.....

Scottes
THREAD ­ STARTER
12,842 posts
Joined Nov 2003
Apr 24, 2004 07:47 |  #7

JZaun wrote:
Yep I'm gonna have to pay more attention If I hope to learn how do get great butterfly shots like that one

We'll trade - you show me how to take pictures of flowers, and I'll show you how to take pictures of butterflies.

It's taken me long enough to get an idea of how to shoot butterflies... I've probably got 500+ photos of butterflies under my belt. You'd think it would be easy to get a good picture in a butterfly house...

PhotosGuy
74,876 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Feb 2004
Middle of Michigan
Apr 24, 2004 09:07 |  #8

Nice shot!

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1280 pixels on any side.

PacAce
Cream of the Crop
26,853 posts
Joined Feb 2003
ABE, PA USA
Apr 24, 2004 11:20 |  #9

Scott, that's a nice picture of the butterfly. And the lighting is just right. Thanks for the tip on the Lumiquest Ultrasoft. I'm going to look into it myself.

Re the exposure, I think it's just perfect. If you were to go any brighter you would definitely blow the red and lose the natural looking yellow color and the details in it.

...Leo

Scottes
THREAD ­ STARTER
12,842 posts
Joined Nov 2003
Apr 24, 2004 13:09 |  #10

PacAce wrote:
Scott, that's a nice picture of the butterfly. And the lighting is just right. Thanks for the tip on the Lumiquest Ultrasoft. I'm going to look into it myself.

Take a look at their softboxes, too, and decide. I like the Ultrasoft because it folds up and it's up higher and with the 420 EX you can tilt it down a little to "aim" it to closer macro subjects. But if you have positionable macro flash bracket then one of their softboxes might be nice.

Also note that in full-forward position the flash matches the lens length, whereas if the flash is tilted it's always set at 50mm, thus spreading and diffusing the light more. Since the softbox forces the flash to straight forward it will be set to 100mm - ie; less diffusion.

I've seen one of their softboxes in use on a 500 being used for fill flash. I think the guy had it set at 1/8th or something. It didn't look like the softbox was fully utilized, ie; more light was coming from the center than the edges. Kinda hard to tell with the human eye, though.

Re the exposure, I think it's just perfect. If you were to go any brighter you would definitely blow the red and lose the natural looking yellow color and the details in it.

Yep, that's what happened every time I let the camera think. I went full manual and kept stopping down until the yellows weren't blown. This is perfectly exposed to get the butterfly colors, but I think it's underexposed overall.

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
47,812 posts
Gallery: 78 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Rhode Island USA
Apr 24, 2004 13:49 |  #11

Isabella is captivating!

I'd love to know the story behind her name?

I am imagining a circa 1803 naturalist months away from home by sailing vessel on some forieghn shore lugging caontainers filled with plant samples and fewmets coming across this rare beauty and naming after the love of his life... or perhaps some other kind of rare beauty he had found in a Mediterenian port :roll:

But then again,. I'm an uncurable romantic too :wink:

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

Chris1le
891 posts
Joined Aug 2003
Gig Harbor, WA
Apr 24, 2004 21:38 |  #12

Boy that is a nice shot. The exposure looks dead on to me. But then I like like my shots just a tad underexposed. Seems to bring out the colors better.

My Picturesexternal link : My Gearexternal link
I Reject Your Reality And Substitute My Own - Adam Savage

where1
354 posts
Joined Oct 2003
Apr 24, 2004 21:41 |  #13

Beautiful butterfly. She is so crisp, great detail.

THE ­ BEAST
140 posts
Joined Nov 2003
Apr 25, 2004 13:39 |  #14

top piccy mate keep em coming.

Scottes
THREAD ­ STARTER
12,842 posts
Joined Nov 2003
Apr 25, 2004 14:41 |  #15

CyberDyneSystems wrote:
I'd love to know the story behind her name?

Sorry to spoil your romantacism, but this butterfly was the last discovery by the famous lepidopterologist Dr. Frank Larcy. He captured one of these in March of 1903 as it was feeding off a small purplish flower. The flower got caught in the net, so the good doctor reached in and snapped off the flower in order to get his prize. As he peered into the net, he mumbled "That Isabella..." and suddenly keeled over and died.

It's been rumored that he was about to say "That is a belladonna plant." But we'll never be sure.

But that's how this butterfly was named. Somewhat mistakenly I guess.

:)

sponsored links

3,864 views & 1 like for this thread
Isabella Toger Longwing - Justaredandyellowbutterfly
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Wildlife

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.