Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 23rd of April 2007 (Mon)   #1
wilded

Default XTI seems to underexpose

Is this a problem? Is there a fix? Thanks, ET
wilded is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 23rd of April 2007 (Mon)   #2
mrbigisbudgood

Default Re: XTI seems to underexpose

I've been noticing that my XTi likes a positive (.3 to 1.0 depending on the situation) white balance where my old Kodak liked a negative WB. I'm still learning the XTi, but this was one of the first things I learned.
mrbigisbudgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd of April 2007 (Mon)   #3
angryhampster
"Got a thick monopod?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbigisbudgood View Post
I've been noticing that my XTi likes a positive (.3 to 1.0 depending on the situation) white balance where my old Kodak liked a negative WB. I'm still learning the XTi, but this was one of the first things I learned.

Do you mean exposure compensation? XTi is made from the factory to underexpose. This creates naturally more constrasty, saturated images.
angryhampster is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 23rd of April 2007 (Mon)   #4
mrbigisbudgood

Quote:
Originally Posted by angryhampster View Post
Do you mean exposure compensation? XTi is made from the factory to underexpose. This creates naturally more constrasty, saturated images.
Yes, I meant EC, sorry. I'm eating lunch at home, thinking about work, thinking about go-karting tomorrow night, waiting for my wife to get home.....I'm here 'cause I'm not all there.
mrbigisbudgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd of April 2007 (Mon)   #5
Hellashot
User is banned from forums

Quote:
Exucse me but why are you posting such fabricated nonsense?
Hellashot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd of April 2007 (Mon)   #6
Tee Why
"Monkey's uncle"

Generally, I don't think this is a consistent issue. I have heard that it maybe a problem if you used eval metering though.

A quick fix would be to check the histogram and adjust for exposure compensation.

I too heard that Canon prefers to underexpose with tricky lighting to prevent overexposure and loss of details from UK magazine, I think it was the last issue of Photography Monthly, where they did a comparison of entry level dslrs.

Tee Why is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd of April 2007 (Mon)   #7
angryhampster
"Got a thick monopod?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellashot View Post
Exucse me but why are you posting such fabricated nonsense?

Sorry for fabriacting such nonsense.

http://www.google.com/search?client=...=Google+Search

Quote:
For subjects with high contrast containing a white element, the Rebel XTi tends to underexpose to keep the highlight within the histogram.
http://www.dcviews.com/reviews/Canon...D80-review.htm

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=21603849

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...el+underexpose
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...l+underexposed

It's fairly common for the rebel series to underexpose images up to a full stop.
Old 23rd of April 2007 (Mon)   #8
Bill Boehme
Enjoy being spanked

My XTi is also doing some of that "fabricated nonsense". I should have a talk with it and tell it to stop fabricating all of that nonsense.

I sent it back to Canon a couple months ago when the underexposure was severe (about 1.67 stops). They confirmed the problem and repaired the camera. Now it is at the "normal" (.33 to .67 stop) underexposure.

Contrary to some Internet lore on exposure, it is preferrable to slightly overexpose an image as long as it doesn't result in objectionable blown out highlights. Overexposure will afford you more lattitude in post processing the darker areas of an image. I learned this tidbit from the late Bruce Fraser.
Bill Boehme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd of April 2007 (Mon)   #9
Hellashot
User is banned from forums

Quote:
Sorry for fabriacting such nonsense.
It's fairly common for the rebel series to underexpose images up to a full stop.
User comments is in no way official word from Canon that they designed the XTi to under expose. All SLRs need exposure compensation with different shooting situations.

Do a few people who hit the accellerator in a car instead of the brake mean that the car maker designed the pedals in opposite positions?
Hellashot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd of April 2007 (Mon)   #10
angryhampster
"Got a thick monopod?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellashot View Post
User comments is in no way official word from Canon that they designed the XTi to under expose. All SLRs need exposure compensation with different shooting situations.

Do a few people who hit the accellerator in a car instead of the brake mean that the car maker designed the pedals in opposite positions?

Is it common for people to hit the brake pedal and the car keep going?
Old 23rd of April 2007 (Mon)   #11
Bill Boehme
Enjoy being spanked

The sheer volume of postings on various forums about the XTi/400D shooting slightly underexposed is enough to suspect that there is something more than speculation to this conjecture. Offhand, I do not recall any postings about the camera overexposing.
Old 23rd of April 2007 (Mon)   #12
liquefied

I think the nonsense being pointed out was that the XTi is supposed to underexpose. That is a ridiculous claim and if Canon actually designed a camera to underexpose then I'm tempted to switch to Nikon. The camera has a light meter for a reason, that light meter should be accurate. I've only heard that it's a defect with the light meter. My XTi consistently underexposes by 2/3 stops and I've tested this several times with a gray card (a gray card is not 'tricky lighting', it is 18% gray - right in the middle of a correctly exposed histogram). The problem is there and a solution needs to be provided by Canon soon.

liquefied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd of April 2007 (Mon)   #13
Robert_Lay
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquefied View Post
I think the nonsense being pointed out was that the XTi is supposed to underexpose. That is a ridiculous claim and if Canon actually designed a camera to underexpose then I'm tempted to switch to Nikon. The camera has a light meter for a reason, that light meter should be accurate. I've only heard that it's a defect with the light meter. My XTi consistently underexposes by 2/3 stops and I've tested this several times with a gray card (a gray card is not 'tricky lighting', it is 18% gray - right in the middle of a correctly exposed histogram). The problem is there and a solution needs to be provided by Canon soon.
Bravo - well said!

I have posted a graphic of a carefully measured transfer characteristic for my XTi, which clearly shows two things of interest - underexposure of about 2/3 to 1 f-stop, and a decidedly abrupt shoulder.

Now that I am seeing more and more comments that corroborate my own findings, I am becoming more convinced that it is intentional - my explanation being that it keeps you further from that abrupt shoulder.
Canon Rebel XTi; EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-f/5.6 USM; EF-S 18-55 mm f/3.5-f/5.6; EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM; EF 50mm f/1.4 USM; Canon Powershot G5; Canon AE1(2); Leica R4s; Battery Grip BG-E3; Pentax Digital Spotmeter with Zone VI Mod & Calibration.
Robert_Lay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd of April 2007 (Mon)   #14
angryhampster
"Got a thick monopod?"

Yea shoulda worded it differently. I suppose "does underexpose from the factory" would have been more appropriate than "is meant to"
Old 23rd of April 2007 (Mon)   #15
Bill Boehme
Enjoy being spanked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_Lay View Post
Bravo - well said!

I have posted a graphic of a carefully measured transfer characteristic for my XTi, which clearly shows two things of interest - underexposure of about 2/3 to 1 f-stop, and a decidedly abrupt shoulder.

Now that I am seeing more and more comments that corroborate my own findings, I am becoming more convinced that it is intentional - my explanation being that it keeps you further from that abrupt shoulder.
Robert,

Thanks for the information. Could you provide a link to the graphic? I have heard numerous "stories" about reasons for underexposure in the XTi, but as an engineer, none of them really sounded very plausible to me. This explanation, however, sounds very logical. It is easy to envision a scenario in which getting a product to market trumps working out all of the bugs in a sensor design. I presume from what you say here that beyond the "shoulder", all pixel data are saturated.