Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge
Thread started 24 Apr 2007 (Tuesday) 17:10
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

My friend has issues, but got me thinking...

tsxmike
118 posts
Joined Mar 2007
Miami, FL
Apr 24, 2007 17:10 |  #1

Tonight were going to a Marilins/Braves game and my friend called me to see if I can bring my camera along with my "humangous lens" (what he calls my 70-200) to see if we can score a press pass. I told him no, but now its got me thinking if anyone ever got lucky and received a press pass or anything by having their camera with them, at any event. Anyone?

sponsored links
Lord_Malone
Cream of the Manpanties........ Inventor Great POTN Photo Book
7,684 posts
Joined Oct 2005
Apr 24, 2007 17:16 |  #2

IMAGE: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/images/smilies/icon9.gif

IMAGE: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/images/smilies/shhh.gif

~Spaceships Don't Come Equipped With Rear View Mirrors~
http://www.myspace.com​/chocolate_thaiexternal link

ssim
POTN Landscape & Cityscape Photographer 2005
10,884 posts
Joined Apr 2003
southern Alberta, Canada
Apr 24, 2007 17:29 as a reply to Lord_Malone's post |  #3

I seriously doubt that you would score one of these at a MLB game. The security at both the team level and the venue (stadium) are pretty well tuned in to the fact that there are many that try this. I would be surprised if they weren't also well aware of the fact that a camera in the range of a 20D/30D or even 5D and a lens like the 70-200 is pretty commonplace these days. I've worked several sporting events with credentials that were weekend type of events and even though you got to know the security people at the various checkpoints they still checked our badges each and every time. I found out they had problems in the past where once someone became acquainted with the security folks, they would hand off their press badge to a friend.

You could try but I would be ready to check your gear or return it to your vehicle.

My life is like one big RAW file....way too much post processing needed.
Sheldon Simpson | My Galleryexternal link | My Gear updated: 20JUL12

Nanboh
614 posts
Joined Mar 2007
Midwest US
Apr 24, 2007 17:47 as a reply to ssim's post |  #4

SSim--you say be ready to check or return equipment to car--can a 'customer' take pictures in a non-professional capacity at MLB games? I haven't been in a few years but used to take a p/s all the time. Has that changed? Just wondering...

Support the forums - donate here

ssim
POTN Landscape & Cityscape Photographer 2005
10,884 posts
Joined Apr 2003
southern Alberta, Canada
Apr 24, 2007 18:03 as a reply to Nanboh's post |  #5

Most of them have a list of what is allowed in and what isn't. If I recall correctly some of them have a rule that the lens cannot be longer than 6" and /or a maximum of 200mm. Check both the team and stadium sites for clarification, most of them do post this these days.

My life is like one big RAW file....way too much post processing needed.
Sheldon Simpson | My Galleryexternal link | My Gear updated: 20JUL12

PhotoJourno
High Plains Chimper
5,596 posts
Joined Mar 2006
Lago, CA
Apr 24, 2007 18:11 |  #6

I can get away with such in certain places, mostly opened to public anyways. I just wave my local press pass, and ask them if I can walkaround for a few minutes, maybe stop at the press pit for a couple of photos and then scoot out to another assignment.

But I have never tried an MLB, NFL, NHL, MLS game. These are the big leagues, with Player Associations, and all sorts of crazy stuff and trade marked names.

Actually I would just let you know that although it is unlikely to happen, if you get in trouble for remotely trying to pass as press, if charged you could get into a heap of trouble. This has been my experience, so I have avoided it.

But best of luck, make sure to have the serial numbers for both units just in case, and post the photos.

Mario "MJ" Gravina

"I feel crampy today.." -Abraham Lincoln
"Ow ow you are on my hair!" -Joan of Arc

Grumps ­ Photo
Suffering Keyboard in Mouth desease
2,010 posts
Joined Oct 2004
Ottawa, Canada
Apr 24, 2007 19:19 |  #7

Be sure to insure your gear.

That way when it is stolen out of your car because you could not get it into the event, you will be covered.

Seriously, chances of entry with a serious camera or lens into a major event like MLB, NHL or NCAA is less than nil. Never mind walkup press access. Speaking from experience. I've been to events in these series and even the fun ones (All Star events) are very restrictive. The only event I know of that is less restrictive is NASCAR, and they restrict where you can go.

Leave the heavy gear at home and enjoy the game.

Grumps
(aka Jim or JAZZ D.P.G.)
1DsMKIII, 1DMKIII, T6s, D60, L's, DO, USM, other lens, flashes, studio gear (but no studio!) Olympus TG3
grumpsphoto.com

zacker
Cream of the Crop
6,005 posts
Joined Jan 2005
Oxford, CT.
Apr 24, 2007 19:33 |  #8

youd prolly have a better chance bringing a bucket and a mop and trying to get in as a janitor!!

lol

http://www.theanimalha​ven.comexternal link
My Facebook, Friend me If you want!http://www.facebook.co​m/brokenfencephotograp​hyexternal link

http://www.facebook.co​m/theanimalhaven?ref=t​sexternal link

Mark_Cohran
Cream of the Crop
15,621 posts
Joined Jul 2002
Portland, Oregon
Apr 24, 2007 21:25 |  #9

tsxmike wrote in post #3097882external link
Tonight were going to a Marilins/Braves game and my friend called me to see if I can bring my camera along with my "humangous lens" (what he calls my 70-200) to see if we can score a press pass. I told him no, but now its got me thinking if anyone ever got lucky and received a press pass or anything by having their camera with them, at any event. Anyone?

Not at a national sporting event, but I was hired on the spot by the local paper last year at a festival event. Their photographer was unavailable and I was there with my gear and looked like I knew what I was doing. The paper used about a 1/2 dozen of my photos.

Mark

Mark
-----
Some primes, some zooms, some Ls, some bodies and they all play nice together.
Forty years of shooting and still learning.
My Tumblr Site (external link) (NSFW)

breal101
Goldmember
2,724 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Apr 24, 2007 23:47 |  #10

zacker wrote in post #3098481external link
youd prolly have a better chance bringing a bucket and a mop and trying to get in as a janitor!!

lol

And who would steal a bucket and mop from your car if it doesn't work.

"Try to go out empty and let your images fill you up." Jay Maisel

Phillydigishooter
141 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Philadelphia, PA USA
Sep 04, 2008 19:29 |  #11

Wow, I went to a major league sporting event over the weekend and security checked my camera bag twice. The second check the guard tagged my bag. Canon 350D with various lens, one being a 300mm. I mounted up the 300mm and snapped away getting some great captures. Guess I was lucky.

Canon G3. Canon 350D, efs 18-55mm, efs 75-300mm

Oneslowz28
621 posts
Joined Jun 2007
Aiken, SC
Sep 04, 2008 20:04 |  #12

If you get a Credential for just walking in with your camera then I would advise you to turn around and walk out the stadium and head straight to the first convenience store you see and purchase a lottery ticket.

60D, 50 f/1.8 Metal Mount, 28-135 IS. Lost a 1D Mk III, and several L's in a home fire last summer.

Phillydigishooter
141 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Philadelphia, PA USA
Sep 04, 2008 20:22 |  #13

Oneslowz28 wrote in post #6242942external link
If you get a Credential for just walking in with your camera then I would advise you to turn around and walk out the stadium and head straight to the first convenience store you see and purchase a lottery ticket.

I didn't even think of a press pass at the time in fact there was sign stating no back packs allowed along with other items, glass etc. I was concerned I wouldn't get in at all. After the first guard checked my bag I thought I was out, but he directed me to another guard who checked everything in my bag and then tagged it. Just walked in with 10,000 other fans. So I starting thinking what would it take to get a press pass? So I searched POTN for the answer. I getting an education on the subject.

Mark_Cohran
Cream of the Crop
15,621 posts
Joined Jul 2002
Portland, Oregon
Sep 04, 2008 20:23 |  #14

Man, this is an ooooold thread. :)

Mark
-----
Some primes, some zooms, some Ls, some bodies and they all play nice together.
Forty years of shooting and still learning.
My Tumblr Site (external link) (NSFW)

Phillydigishooter
141 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Philadelphia, PA USA
Sep 04, 2008 20:39 |  #15

Mark_Cohran wrote in post #6243032external link
Man, this is an ooooold thread. :)

I agree on a very old thread, but very informative.

Thank you all for your help.

sponsored links

2,909 views & 0 likes for this thread
My friend has issues, but got me thinking...
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.