Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Wildlife
Thread started 27 Apr 2004 (Tuesday) 20:40
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Requisite Zoo Pics - Lion and a Gorilla

Scottes
Trigger Man - POTN Retired
12,842 posts
Joined Nov 2003
A Little North Of Boston, MA, USA
Apr 27, 2004 20:40 |  #1

Beautiful animals. But unbelievably lazy. I waited 20 minutes (shooting sparrows) until one of the two males bothered to move. Beautiful animals.

IMAGE: http://www.itsanadventure.com/postimages/Lion_4111.jpg

This guy looks like he has a lot to say. I'm not so sure he's pleased with his surroundings.
IMAGE: http://www.itsanadventure.com/postimages/Gorilla_4157.jpg

Zoos are great - where else can you see such animals from all over the world? But there's a dark side to them that I can't ignore. In ways I'm bothered about the captivity and the removal of the animals from their homes. It hurts. But other times I know that the study of the animals does a world of good, and that some species live on simply because of zoos. And I think they do a good job of teaching people about animals, especially the rare and endangered ones. I hope we learn something.

You can take my 100-400 L away when you pry it from my cold, dead fingers.
Scottes' Rum Pages - Rum Reviews And Infoexternal link
Follower of Fidget - Joined the cult of HAMSTTR©

boomer1959
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2004
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Apr 27, 2004 20:48 |  #2

:( Poor things must be bored out of their skulls. :D Nice shots though.

Nature and photography. Moments frozen a fraction of a second at a time.
Canon 1Ds MkIII and lots of other stuff.
www.davidklauttphotogr​aphy.comexternal link
Dave Klautt

PacAce
Cream of the Crop
26,853 posts
Joined Feb 2003
ABE, PA USA
Apr 27, 2004 21:01 |  #3

I know what you mean about he caged animals, Scott. If they're going to be kept in captivity, I'd prefer to see them in the "reservations" where the animals are allowed to roam free like the one in San Diego and the Disney Animal Kingdom. The drawback to us photographers is that it's more of a challenge to get their pictures but at least the animal are more active and look almost as they would in the wild.

It's been a while since I've been to a zoo where the animals are still kept in small cages but it really is heartbreaking to see them in those little cages.

Although your subjects really didn't look very enthusiastic about havig their pictures taken, they still came out darn good. The lion looks like it's still half asleep. :lol:

...Leo

Scottes
THREAD ­ STARTER
Trigger Man - POTN Retired
12,842 posts
Joined Nov 2003
A Little North Of Boston, MA, USA
Apr 28, 2004 03:49 |  #4

PacAce wrote:
If they're going to be kept in captivity, I'd prefer to see them in the "reservations" where the animals are allowed to roam free like the one in San Diego and the Disney Animal Kingdom.

Yes, definitely. I wish there was something like that anywhere around me. Closest thing I've ever heard of is a wolf preserve in New Jersey. Big fences but at least they get to roam a bit.

It's been a while since I've been to a zoo where the animals are still kept in small cages but it really is heartbreaking to see them in those little cages.

The cages weren't really that small. The lions barely could have broken into a run, but the gorilla enclosure was really quite large and had an indoor and outdoor section.

Still though, I'd much rather see them on some type of large preserve like you said.

You can take my 100-400 L away when you pry it from my cold, dead fingers.
Scottes' Rum Pages - Rum Reviews And Infoexternal link
Follower of Fidget - Joined the cult of HAMSTTR©

JZaun
Goldmember
2,488 posts
Joined Jan 2004
Apr 28, 2004 05:22 |  #5

Nice pic's but I agree with you Scottes,, I just can't stand to see caged animals...so sad,, Usually they look so depressed I have to leave :(

JZ

3,834 views & 0 likes for this thread
Requisite Zoo Pics - Lion and a Gorilla
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Wildlife

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.