FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk
Thread started 28 Apr 2007 (Saturday) 07:29   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

olly_k
Joined Mar 2007
641 posts
Greater Manchester, UK
[MORE/SHARE]

Does anyone clean their lens cleaning cloths? I have some that I really like, for their feel and quality, but have recently started smearing a bit so I figured they need a good clean...

What is the best way to go about this without roughing them up or leaving unwanted residues in the fiber?

Olly.

Post #1, Apr 28, 2007 07:29:53

: 350D : Sigma 17-70 2.8-4.5 DC MACRO : Sigma 55-200 F4-5.6 DC : Sigma 70 -300 F4-5.6 APO DG MACRO : Kit 18-55 : Photax 300 f5.6 M42external link:
~ click for my 'scrapbook'external link ~ MY FLICKRexternal link ~

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
c3p1
Joined Jul 2005
333 posts
Maryland
[MORE/SHARE]

I am not sure this is correct, but I washed my out by hand with no soap. Filled the sink with warm water and then let is sit in there for 10 minutes then swished it around, squeezed it out, drained the water and repeated. Just hang it out to dry. Mine feels much better and does not smear.

Post #2, Apr 28, 2007 07:50:01

Thanks, Paul
Canon 60D
Sigma 10-20mm f4-5.6, Canon 85MM 1.8, Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 xr di, Sigma 70-200mm, Sigma 30mm 1.4, Canon 50mm 1.8

olly_k
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Mar 2007
641 posts
Greater Manchester, UK
[MORE/SHARE]

c3p1 wrote in post #3118421external link
I am not sure this is correct, but I washed my out by hand with no soap. Filled the sink with warm water and then let is sit in there for 10 minutes then swished it around, squeezed it out, drained the water and repeated. Just hang it out to dry. Mine feels much better and does not smear.

That simple hey? Thanks I will try that!

Post #3, Apr 28, 2007 07:50:52

: 350D : Sigma 17-70 2.8-4.5 DC MACRO : Sigma 55-200 F4-5.6 DC : Sigma 70 -300 F4-5.6 APO DG MACRO : Kit 18-55 : Photax 300 f5.6 M42external link:

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2002
19,851 posts
Southeastern WI, USA
[MORE/SHARE]

There's a very significant potential problem with using a re-usable wiper/cloth/tissue/len​s pen/whatever for cleaning lenses.

If, by some chance, you get a little tiny piece of hard grit in the wiper and re-use the surface that has it trapped to clean a lens, you are guaranteed to be at great risk for scratching the lens (or filter) with that wiper.

It is far better to scrap a microfiber cloth than it is to wash it and assume that it is truly clean and free from any trapped particles that can cause you problems.

I will NEVER use any cleaning device for any camera lens (or any other fine optical surface, for that matter) that is not brand new out of the package and guaranteed to be absolutely clean. My choice for cleaning camera lenses is Kodak lens tissues.

I will never use a microfiber cloth that did not just come out of a sealed package.

I will never use a lens pen a second time (but I don't use them anyway).

Another thing that is critically important for proper cleaning of optical surfaces is to make absolutely sure that you never touch the surface(s) of a wiper that will be touching the lens. That will transfer oils (and other stuff) from your skin to the lens.

Post #4, Apr 28, 2007 09:22:56

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and almost 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

SWPhotoImaging
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2003
3,231 posts
No. Calif.
[MORE/SHARE]

I have about eight microfiber lens cleaning cloths. I put them into my wife's "delicates" bag, along with her fine unmentionables, and she launders them with Woolite. They always come out like new, and ready for action.

Post #5, Apr 28, 2007 21:16:07

SWPhoto-Imaging

sponsored links
Anke
"that rump shot is just adorable"
UK SE Photographer of the Year 2009
Joined Oct 2006
30,454 posts
Royal Tunbridge Wells, UK
[MORE/SHARE]

Thanks for reminding me, I'd better stick mine in the wash :D

I will agree with Skip though about the microfibre cloths. I use them when cleaning the surface of the lens but the usual glass-cleaning cloth when cleaning the protective filter on the front of the lens. I like the slight "abrasiveness" that a glass-cleaning cloth gives and usually don't worry about scratching a £50 UV filter as I always carry a backup.

Post #6, Apr 28, 2007 21:19:47

Anke
1D Mark IV | 16-35L f/2.8 II | 24-70L f/2.8 II | 70-200L f/2.8 II | 50 f/1.4 | 600EX-RT and ST-E3-RT
Join the Official POTN UK South-East Thread | Follow me on Twitterexternal link | Tunbridge Wellsexternal link | Flickrexternal link

samnz
Goldmember
Joined Feb 2006
1,315 posts
Blenheim, Marlborough
[MORE/SHARE]

I only have about 4 microfibre cloths of varying sizes. The oldest one about 18mths old. Never been washed - just replaced. Also I only buy yellow or white cloths - not blue, red, purple or other dark colour which tend to hide the tiniest bit of grit.

Post #7, Apr 29, 2007 02:16:55

SAM
Gear

DocFrankenstein
Cream of the Crop
Joined Apr 2004
12,309 posts
where the buffalo roam
[MORE/SHARE]

SkipD wrote in post #3118739external link
There's a very significant potential problem with using a re-usable wiper/cloth/tissue/len​s pen/whatever for cleaning lenses.

If, by some chance, you get a little tiny piece of hard grit in the wiper and re-use the surface that has it trapped to clean a lens, you are guaranteed to be at great risk for scratching the lens (or filter) with that wiper.

It is far better to scrap a microfiber cloth than it is to wash it and assume that it is truly clean and free from any trapped particles that can cause you problems.

I will NEVER use any cleaning device for any camera lens (or any other fine optical surface, for that matter) that is not brand new out of the package and guaranteed to be absolutely clean. My choice for cleaning camera lenses is Kodak lens tissues.

I will never use a microfiber cloth that did not just come out of a sealed package.

I will never use a lens pen a second time (but I don't use them anyway).

Another thing that is critically important for proper cleaning of optical surfaces is to make absolutely sure that you never touch the surface(s) of a wiper that will be touching the lens. That will transfer oils (and other stuff) from your skin to the lens.

And that is why I use kimwipes. :lol:

Post #8, Apr 29, 2007 02:26:55

National Sarcasm Society. Like we need your support.

olly_k
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Mar 2007
641 posts
Greater Manchester, UK
[MORE/SHARE]

ok thanks for everyone's help!

Post #9, Apr 29, 2007 04:23:54

SWPhotoImaging
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2003
3,231 posts
No. Calif.
[MORE/SHARE]

I get my microfiber lens cloths from my eye doctor. They give me one every visit, and if I ask nice, maybe two or more. The ones they have are almost like a very thin chamois in feel.

Post #10, Apr 29, 2007 08:13:21

SWPhoto-Imaging

Rudy ­ M.
Joined Feb 2007
489 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Somewhere someplace I read not to use the paper lens tissue with fluid to clean camera lenses unless what you are trying to get off is really stubborn. A speck or three of dust is not a problem--people tend to get anal retentive about having a clean glass. I shot over 400 images at a dusty motocross track yesterday and never touched the glass. I did blow a few dust specks off the lens, but never took the cloth out. Ditto on the possible grit in a microfibre cloth--always shake it really good first and wad it up loosly and "huff" on the glass before wiping lightly. All my washed t-shirts are my lens clothes. I try to use the inside of my shirt, not the outside--unless I am sweating or dirty--then I go with the microfibre cloth. I use protective UV filters on all my glass, so I have no fear of scratching the main protetive lens element or coatings. I spray my microfibre cloths first with diluted Simple Green, a nice degreaser, then rinse several times and line dry.

Post #11, Apr 30, 2007 14:34:52

Rudy M.---Thanks to this site, I'm learning something new all the time!

sponsored links

LIST NEARBY THREADS
21,971 views & 0 likes for this thread
Cleaning lens cleaning cloths
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES