Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > Talk About Photography > General Photography Talk
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 28th of April 2007 (Sat)   #1
olly_k

Default Cleaning lens cleaning cloths

Does anyone clean their lens cleaning cloths? I have some that I really like, for their feel and quality, but have recently started smearing a bit so I figured they need a good clean...

What is the best way to go about this without roughing them up or leaving unwanted residues in the fiber?

Olly.
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 28th of April 2007 (Sat)   #2
c3p1

Default Re: Cleaning lens cleaning cloths

I am not sure this is correct, but I washed my out by hand with no soap. Filled the sink with warm water and then let is sit in there for 10 minutes then swished it around, squeezed it out, drained the water and repeated. Just hang it out to dry. Mine feels much better and does not smear.
c3p1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th of April 2007 (Sat)   #3
olly_k

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3p1 View Post
I am not sure this is correct, but I washed my out by hand with no soap. Filled the sink with warm water and then let is sit in there for 10 minutes then swished it around, squeezed it out, drained the water and repeated. Just hang it out to dry. Mine feels much better and does not smear.
That simple hey? Thanks I will try that!
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 28th of April 2007 (Sat)   #4
SkipD
Cream of the Crop

There's a very significant potential problem with using a re-usable wiper/cloth/tissue/lens pen/whatever for cleaning lenses.

If, by some chance, you get a little tiny piece of hard grit in the wiper and re-use the surface that has it trapped to clean a lens, you are guaranteed to be at great risk for scratching the lens (or filter) with that wiper.

It is far better to scrap a microfiber cloth than it is to wash it and assume that it is truly clean and free from any trapped particles that can cause you problems.

I will NEVER use any cleaning device for any camera lens (or any other fine optical surface, for that matter) that is not brand new out of the package and guaranteed to be absolutely clean. My choice for cleaning camera lenses is Kodak lens tissues.

I will never use a microfiber cloth that did not just come out of a sealed package.

I will never use a lens pen a second time (but I don't use them anyway).

Another thing that is critically important for proper cleaning of optical surfaces is to make absolutely sure that you never touch the surface(s) of a wiper that will be touching the lens. That will transfer oils (and other stuff) from your skin to the lens.
SkipD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th of April 2007 (Sat)   #5
SWPhotoImaging
Goldmember

I have about eight microfiber lens cleaning cloths. I put them into my wife's "delicates" bag, along with her fine unmentionables, and she launders them with Woolite. They always come out like new, and ready for action.
Old 28th of April 2007 (Sat)   #6
Anke
"that rump shot is just adorable"
UK SE Photographer of the Year 2009

Thanks for reminding me, I'd better stick mine in the wash

I will agree with Skip though about the microfibre cloths. I use them when cleaning the surface of the lens but the usual glass-cleaning cloth when cleaning the protective filter on the front of the lens. I like the slight "abrasiveness" that a glass-cleaning cloth gives and usually don't worry about scratching a 50 UV filter as I always carry a backup.
Anke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th of April 2007 (Sun)   #7
samnz

I only have about 4 microfibre cloths of varying sizes. The oldest one about 18mths old. Never been washed - just replaced. Also I only buy yellow or white cloths - not blue, red, purple or other dark colour which tend to hide the tiniest bit of grit.
Old 29th of April 2007 (Sun)   #8
DocFrankenstein
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkipD View Post
There's a very significant potential problem with using a re-usable wiper/cloth/tissue/lens pen/whatever for cleaning lenses.

If, by some chance, you get a little tiny piece of hard grit in the wiper and re-use the surface that has it trapped to clean a lens, you are guaranteed to be at great risk for scratching the lens (or filter) with that wiper.

It is far better to scrap a microfiber cloth than it is to wash it and assume that it is truly clean and free from any trapped particles that can cause you problems.

I will NEVER use any cleaning device for any camera lens (or any other fine optical surface, for that matter) that is not brand new out of the package and guaranteed to be absolutely clean. My choice for cleaning camera lenses is Kodak lens tissues.

I will never use a microfiber cloth that did not just come out of a sealed package.

I will never use a lens pen a second time (but I don't use them anyway).

Another thing that is critically important for proper cleaning of optical surfaces is to make absolutely sure that you never touch the surface(s) of a wiper that will be touching the lens. That will transfer oils (and other stuff) from your skin to the lens.
And that is why I use kimwipes.
Old 29th of April 2007 (Sun)   #9
olly_k

ok thanks for everyone's help!
Old 29th of April 2007 (Sun)   #10
SWPhotoImaging
Goldmember

I get my microfiber lens cloths from my eye doctor. They give me one every visit, and if I ask nice, maybe two or more. The ones they have are almost like a very thin chamois in feel.
Old 30th of April 2007 (Mon)   #11
Rudy M.

Somewhere someplace I read not to use the paper lens tissue with fluid to clean camera lenses unless what you are trying to get off is really stubborn. A speck or three of dust is not a problem--people tend to get anal retentive about having a clean glass. I shot over 400 images at a dusty motocross track yesterday and never touched the glass. I did blow a few dust specks off the lens, but never took the cloth out. Ditto on the possible grit in a microfibre cloth--always shake it really good first and wad it up loosly and "huff" on the glass before wiping lightly. All my washed t-shirts are my lens clothes. I try to use the inside of my shirt, not the outside--unless I am sweating or dirty--then I go with the microfibre cloth. I use protective UV filters on all my glass, so I have no fear of scratching the main protetive lens element or coatings. I spray my microfibre cloths first with diluted Simple Green, a nice degreaser, then rinse several times and line dry.