Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Canon G-series Digital Cameras
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 22nd of May 2001 (Tue)   #1
BobP

Default Are IBM Microdrives that fragile

The last few days I have checked a lot of digital photography forums looking for IBM Microdrive reviews.
I have read some reviews where people are telling that the Microdives are to fragile.

Are they really that fragile? Isn't it to risky buying one?
BobP is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 22nd of May 2001 (Tue)   #2
Don Cohen

Default Re: Are IBM Microdrives that fragile

Hi Bob,

In my experience with a 1 gb MicroDrive, and from the posts I've read over the past 6 months, I do not believe they are at all fragile.

That said, relative to Compact Flash Type I, which has no moving parts at all, they will be more susceptible to mechanical damage should any significant jarring occur (for example dropping on a hard floor from a significant height). I don't believe normal handling is likely to result in any damage. They are little tiny hard drives, with moving parts, so there is some potential - but I personally believe this is minimal (again, with reasonably careful handling).

Hope this helps.
Don Cohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd of May 2001 (Wed)   #3
Mike K

Default Re: Are IBM Microdrives that fragile

On these forums, the most vocal are those that have something to say, and when one of these microdrives crashes and takes some images with it one would be upset enough to say pleanty. Some very informal polls on the Canon DPReview fourm seem to place the total number of actual lifetime hardware crashes at about 6-10%. Maybe it is like your chances of getting hot pixels on a new digicam? I think if you keep the microdrive in the camera as much as possible it is far safer than handling the minature disc drive. Another thread asked to see how many (previously silent) happy users there were and the thread quickly grew to about 100 responses. But this story takes the cake:
http://www.dpreview.com/forums/read....essage=1052922
Regards, Mike K
Old 19th of April 2004 (Mon)   #4
pradeep1
Goldmember

This was an old thread. Now that microdrives are being replaced by huge CF cards, does anyone care to comment on this?
Old 19th of April 2004 (Mon)   #5
nomel

With the drive in the camera, the camera probably has a higher chance of breaking.

You might corrupt data if you bang the camera while the drive is writting. But, if it's not writting, I would think the camera would break before the drive
nomel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th of April 2004 (Mon)   #6
dicky109

I've had my IBM 1G Microdrive for 3 years without any problem whatsoever. Its been used in my camera and Ipaq and has always performed.
That said, theoretically, having mechanical parts it should fail more readily than a CF card. Therefore since the price of large CF cards has come down, if I need more storage, I'd probably go that route.
Bottom line, IMO if you want to save a few bucks and still have reliable storage, you can't go wrong with the IBM/Hitachi Microdrive. From what I've read other brands are not as reliable. On the other hand, if you tend to obsess about the possible problems, go with a CF card.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt"--Bertrand Russell
dicky109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th of April 2004 (Mon)   #7
mookiemeister

Someone told me once that IBM Microdrive is faster than the typical compact flash card. Is this true? If so, how much faster is the Microdrive?
mookiemeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th of April 2004 (Tue)   #8
LittleG.

Same as Rich. I've had my 1 gig Microdrive for a long time and I haven't had a single problem with it yet [ooooh touch wood quickly]. As for writing speed, I haven't noticed a difference between the Microdrive and CF cards. I'm not sure what the techies would say on that one but I would be interested.

http://www.photo-art-gallery.com
LittleG. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st of April 2004 (Wed)   #9
JohnS

Having a ~3yr old 1GB MD card, it's always worked perfectly in the D30 and now the Pro1. Its used for transferring files across PC/MACs (old skool sneakernet) and though it looks a bit battered, has never failed. It's been in iPaqs as well, though now it goes into the iPod Media Reader

Highly recommended if storage capacity is the main concern.
JohnS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th of April 2004 (Mon)   #10
nikee

Quote:
Originally Posted by mookiemeister
Someone told me once that IBM Microdrive is faster than the typical compact flash card. Is this true? If so, how much faster is the Microdrive?
no, that's not true. even if the microdrive is not that slow, there are cards like the sandisk extreme and ultra (1gb and 2gb) that outperform a microdrive easily (40% faster).

have a look at this database, its data differs for each tested camera as well:
http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/mul...e.asp?cid=6007

regards
nicola
nikee is offline   Reply With Quote