Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge
Thread started 13 May 2007 (Sunday) 07:47
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Sneaking in a dSLR where it's disallowed...

Muggles
63 posts
Joined Apr 2007
May 13, 2007 07:47 |  #1

There are many places these days where so-called "professional" cameras are disallowed. And yet, point & shoots, superzooms, and cellphone cameras are permitted. It's an extremely moronic and discriminatory policy, which is why I have no qualms about trying to circumvent it. :evil:

Has anybody tried sneaking in a dSLR into these places? Here's my Evil Plan:

I'm thinking of simply detaching the 70-200L lens from the XTi. I could keep the Digital Rebel body, which is small enough to pass for a point & shoot. People will probably assume there's a lens that extends from behind that closed EF mount.

The 70-200L lens could be kept in its pouch inside my wife's bag. Even if it's "discovered", the security folks will mistake it for a telescope 99% of the time. Especially if she & I were to go in separately. I don't think telescopes are disallowed at concerts, sports games, and places like that.

And once we're in... mwahaha :lol: . I can attach the lens back to the camera. Even though dSLRs are prohibited from entering these places, I don't think they'd actually kick out people who already got in... would they?

EOS 400D
35L + 85 + 10-22 + 17-50 + 70-200L IS

sponsored links
captiankirk28
185 posts
Joined Jan 2007
Mich.
May 13, 2007 07:59 |  #2

I think your plan is great and it is worth a shot, just dont let rent a cops break your camera when they throw you out:lol:

GEAR:
Canon 20D W/Canon Grip| EF18-55 | 50mm 1.4 | EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS USM | EF 17-40L | Kenko Pro 1.4 | Speedlite 580-430 EX | Lowepro Dryzone 200 | Black Pro Strap ~ DYNATRAN At-6703

Kirk

Adcuz
507 posts
Joined Feb 2007
Hampshire, UK
May 13, 2007 08:05 |  #3

Is it worth the risk of the equipment being confescated? you have know guarantee they will keep it safe.

My Gear List | My Siteexternal link| My Flickrexternal link

ACDCROCKS
321 123 33
2,931 posts
Joined Sep 2005
in your attic
May 13, 2007 08:07 as a reply to captiankirk28's post |  #4

I've been to a few concerts and heres my views....They check you, some have wands. They're not stupid, they know what a white lens is, and a Rebel XT is, they have them every where. Believe me, people tried to do this before, your not the only one. When I went to a crosby Stills and Nash concert, I wasn't checked, but a guy did persue me to stop taking pictures (I was in 8th grade, what did I know). They allow p&s because of the quality... it's simply not comparable. You wont get very good pics unles your a few rows back. Whos performing any how? The security guards arent nice. At Roger waters, I couldn't see so I stood on the chair...they pulled me down yellinjg at me...but yet the guy smoking crack kept up with the flame (no joke)...That one was good experience...The song "The Flesh" began to play, and it was just me and Roger Waters right in front eye to eye...the writer of Floyd..Im not gay, just awesome. But anyway, If I would of brought that camera into the Cleveland show, I would be ok, and Pittsburgh show. Every Venue is different. You should be fine depending where your at... I.E. next to the isle..If your in the center of the audience, you should be ok, they dont want to deal with the crowd...etc. etc... but how ever, I don't reccomen bringing in your camera at all....If anything put insurance on it if not already.

canon weight ;)

Squirrel9
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined May 2007
Ontario, Canada
May 13, 2007 08:08 |  #5

You are better to buy a S3 which has 12x zoom for use at concerts where they don't allow SLR's.

Papaw
765 posts
Joined Sep 2004
North Central Texas
May 13, 2007 08:53 |  #6

I don't care anything about concerts, but I would think you could get a fake - or even - real Press Pass that might get you in. There is a professional photographers organization that you fill out an application and send them a picture and you get a very impressive Press Pass with your personal number and an 1-800 number on it that anyone can call 24-7 to verify your number and that you are professionally registered.

1D MKIIN 30D 20D and G6
35L 85L 400L 17-40L 24-70L 24-105L 70-200 f/2.8L IS
10-22 f3.5 60 Macro

ACDCROCKS
321 123 33
2,931 posts
Joined Sep 2005
in your attic
May 13, 2007 09:14 |  #7

Papaw wrote in post #3198118external link
I don't care anything about concerts, but I would think you could get a fake - or even - real Press Pass that might get you in. There is a professional photographers organization that you fill out an application and send them a picture and you get a very impressive Press Pass with your personal number and an 1-800 number on it that anyone can call 24-7 to verify your number and that you are professionally registered.

Yeah, excellent Idea, get A FAKE ID LOL,...Haven't you seen them 2 kids who got caught on the NFL Side lines that had fake Credentials? No offense, but thats the dumbest thing I've ever heard. LOL Of my.Please don't do that. If it sounds to good to be true, its too good. It's a simple phone call away to get real credetinals, just play your cards right. Play your cards wrong and you may end up in legal trouble. Please Dwight, please help out!.

canon weight ;)

Tee ­ Why
"Monkey's uncle"
10,596 posts
Joined Feb 2006
Pasadena, CA
May 13, 2007 09:52 |  #8

get a good point and shoot/digicam and join the crowd.
I think the lens is too conspicuous and will probably get you hassled or kicked out.

Gallery: http://tomyi.smugmug.c​om/external link

Grentz
Goldmember
2,874 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Midwest, USA
May 13, 2007 10:04 |  #9

As said the security is not stupid. They will know what a telephoto lens is.

It does depend on the guys though. I went to a concert awhile back and they felt a scope in my pocket. They didnt even need to look at it, I just said it was a pair of binoculars. It was a smaller set though so not even near the size of the 70-200.

Search.TechIslands.comexternal link - Photography Shopping Search Engine

www.TechIslands.comexternal link - News and Reviews

My Gear List - 60D

gryphonslair99
491 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Wichita, Kansas
May 13, 2007 11:05 |  #10

Muggles wrote in post #3197921external link
There are many places these days where so-called "professional" cameras are disallowed. And yet, point & shoots, superzooms, and cellphone cameras are permitted. It's an extremely moronic and discriminatory policy, which is why I have no qualms about trying to circumvent it. :evil:

Ok, lets look at this piece by piece. Their venue, their entertainment, their rules. Seems simple to me. Anyone put a gun to your head and make you buy the tickets? Didn't think so. You get kidnapped and forced go and to spend money to go there? Thought not. What other things do you not have qualms about, speeding, selling heroin to kids, shoplifting, burglery, robbery, rape, murder?

Has anybody tried sneaking in a dSLR into these places? Here's my Evil Plan:

Here is my evil plan. How about the next time you go to one of these events to circumvent the extremely moronic and discriminatory policy, we put a sign in your front yard telling all the burglars you are gone and that you are at the concert. They last a couple of hours right.

I mean you invite some people into your residence and not others right. That seems like an extremely moronic and discriminatory policy to me. Let's share the wealth with all. The h*## with the rules, your rules at least.

I'm thinking of simply detaching the 70-200L lens from the XTi. I could keep the Digital Rebel body, which is small enough to pass for a point & shoot. People will probably assume there's a lens that extends from behind that closed EF mount.

The 70-200L lens could be kept in its pouch inside my wife's bag. Even if it's "discovered", the security folks will mistake it for a telescope 99% of the time. Especially if she & I were to go in separately. I don't think telescopes are disallowed at concerts, sports games, and places like that.

And once we're in... mwahaha :lol: . I can attach the lens back to the camera. Even though dSLRs are prohibited from entering these places, I don't think they'd actually kick out people who already got in... would they?

Yes they will kick you out in a heartbeat and depending on the group, they may take you to court. You may be arrested as well. In most states whey you bought the tickets you entered into a contract with the venue and the entertainment. That contract is to allow you to view a specific piece of entertainment at a paticular venue at a particular time. One of the rules is no professional cameras, no audio recording equipment etc. It is their image, their sound etc. They have a right to it, not you. Let your picture be taken by the band photographer at the concert and used on a CD cover with out your permission and I'll bet you would sue in a heartbeat.

How about trying out your theory out. Go to New York and take a digital video camera into a first run move theater and videotape the movie. I hear they treat you real good there. Wednesday nights are hotdog and mac and cheese nights. Don't drop the soap.:lol:

You don't take a photograph. You ask, quietly, to borrow it.

Eagle
Goldmember
Joined May 2005
Akron, Ohio
May 13, 2007 11:12 |  #11

Muggles wrote in post #3197921external link
Even if it's "discovered", the security folks will mistake it for a telescope 99% of the time.

You can't be serious? :lol::lol::lol:

Even if you believe what you say, how many times have you seen someone take a 3" x 7" telescope to a concert? Or any telescope?

7D ■ 10-22 ■ 15-85 ■ 28-135 ■ Σ 50-150 ■ 70-200 f4L ■ 100-400L ■ 580EX II
Gear-PCSmugMug (external link) ShutterStock (external link) Alamy (external link) Eagle's Nest Photography (external link)

Hellashot
Goldmember
4,617 posts
Joined Sep 2004
USA
May 13, 2007 11:14 |  #12
banned

And just where are you trying to sneak your camera into?

5D, Drebel, EOS-3, K1000
lenses from 12mm-500mm

MDJAK
Cream of the Crop
24,609 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Nov 2004
New York
May 13, 2007 11:19 as a reply to Hellashot's post |  #13

I'm quite surprised at the amount or heat and rancor this simple post has brought forth.

If you want to take a chance and sneak it in, more power to you. I wish you success.

Chances are, unless you have rather close seats, your 70-200 isn't going to be powerful enough anyway.

I'm on your side with their policies of disallowing cameras.

As to the above poster likening it to allowing your house to be burglarized, now that's about the most moronic analogy I've ever read.

me

gryphonslair99
491 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Wichita, Kansas
May 13, 2007 12:03 |  #14

MDJAK wrote in post #3198752external link
I'm quite surprised at the amount or heat and rancor this simple post has brought forth.

If you want to take a chance and sneak it in, more power to you. I wish you success.

Chances are, unless you have rather close seats, your 70-200 isn't going to be powerful enough anyway.

I'm on your side with their policies of disallowing cameras.

As to the above poster likening it to allowing your house to be burglarized, now that's about the most moronic analogy I've ever read.

me

Spoken like a true member of the ME generation. It's all about me, what I want to do. No one elses rights matter. If you don't like the policy DON"T FREAKING GO. Don't give them your money. Don't listen to their songs, don't watch their movies or plays, but DON'T feel you have the right to steal from them because you don't like their policy. You have the right to make that choice. They have the right to make their policy. Simple huh? See that is how things work in a free society.

Let me guess, as an Official Court Reporter you probably think that it is ok to change the transcript if you don't like the testimony. Sounds rediculous huh. Kind of like violatiing you duty as an official of the court. Yet you have no problem with the idea of violating someone elses rights. Maybe if more people were a little more responsible then your job would be a little easier with less cases backed up. Try seeing the forest, not just the trees.

You don't take a photograph. You ask, quietly, to borrow it.

Papaw
765 posts
Joined Sep 2004
North Central Texas
May 13, 2007 12:06 |  #15

ACDCROCKS wrote in post #3198209external link
Yeah, excellent Idea, get A FAKE ID LOL,...Haven't you seen them 2 kids who got caught on the NFL Side lines that had fake Credentials? No offense, but thats the dumbest thing I've ever heard. LOL Of my.Please don't do that. If it sounds to good to be true, its too good. It's a simple phone call away to get real credetinals, just play your cards right. Play your cards wrong and you may end up in legal trouble. Please Dwight, please help out!.

What I am referring to is NOT FAKE. It has your real name, your real picture and can be verified.

http://picturestock.co​m/phpcode/web/press_pa​ss.phpexternal link

1D MKIIN 30D 20D and G6
35L 85L 400L 17-40L 24-70L 24-105L 70-200 f/2.8L IS
10-22 f3.5 60 Macro

sponsored links

11,151 views & 0 likes for this thread
Sneaking in a dSLR where it's disallowed...
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.