Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 7th of May 2004 (Fri)   #1
nspeer

Default Just got Digital Rebel. How do I upload images to computer?

Just got a Digital Rebel on Ebay. It came with no software. I have Zoombrowser v3.3 on my computer since my wife has a Digital Elph. I can find no reference in the Rebel owner's manual on how to upload my photos to my computer! I've connected the USB cable but my computer does not see the camera. Can anyone help this newbie?

thanks,
Neil
nspeer is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 7th of May 2004 (Fri)   #2
Belmondo
Cream of the Crop

The easiest way is to use a CF card reader and not connect the camera to the PC at all. Assuming you have a USB (or firewire) port, you can copy the files directly from the CF card to the PC. It's a lot faster than doing it through the camera. If you did a little survey, you'd find the vast majority of people upload their photos in this way and don't bother connecting the camera to the computer.
Old 7th of May 2004 (Fri)   #3
nspeer

Default Just got Digital Rebel. How do I upload images to computer?

thanks for the fast reply...this is really a fantastic forum! Ok, I'll take your advice and get a card reader. Which one is generally accepted to be a good one to use with USB2?

Neil
nspeer is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 7th of May 2004 (Fri)   #4
Belmondo
Cream of the Crop

There isn't a great deal of difference in them. Just be sure you get one that's USB2. Should cost $20 or less.
Old 8th of May 2004 (Sat)   #5
Jesper
Goldmember

No software?! Why didn't the person that sold you the camera include the software?

I have a 10D, but this probably also works on the Digital Rebel: Go into the menu, scroll down and set "Communication" to "PTP" instead of "Normal". That way, if you have Windows 2000 or XP (and maybe it also works with other operating systems - I don't know) you should be able to see your camera pop up as a removeable drive when you connect it to the computer. The "Normal" mode only works with Canon's software.

Note that the camera only has an USB 1.1 interface, so downloading your images directly from the camera will be a lot slower than with an USB 2.0 card reader.
Old 8th of May 2004 (Sat)   #6
Goofup

Jesper is correct about the PIP thing, but FYI the order is:

Turn off camera.
Hook up cable.
Turn on camera (Windows sees camera and lets you copy files)
Turn off camera when done.
Unhook cable.

You can mess things up if you don't follow the order.
Goofup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th of May 2004 (Sat)   #7
Calis

Neil,

The other benefit of the card reader is you are not using batteries while downloading. I'm sure I'm getting almost twice as many images per battery now that I'm using a card reader. It's also much faster as others have mentioned.

You don't mention if you have the File Viewer Utility, or another RAW converter. Without one you will have to shoot in JPEG only. This may, or may not be an issue for you, but the accepted wisdom here is that RAW gives you a) better image quality through editing in 12 bits, b) more control, c) the ability to rescue pics when the exposure is a bit out, and, d) better white balance control. The downsides are that the buffer takes longer to empty and you can fit fewer pics on you CF card.

www.pbase.com/calis
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th of May 2004 (Sat)   #8
Sonex305

http://www.powershot.com/powershot2/...riverdown.html

Here you can download the software for your DReb. Scroll down to where it says Eos digital SLR cameras. Good luck!

Craig
Sonex305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th of May 2004 (Sat)   #9
Conk
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonex305
http://www.powershot.com/powershot2/customer/driverdown.html

Here you can download the software for your DReb. Scroll down to where it says Eos digital SLR cameras. Good luck!

Craig
Exactly! You need the driver to load from your camera.
Conk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th of July 2008 (Fri)   #10
ThirdDayJunkie

Default Re: Just got Digital Rebel. How do I upload images to computer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by belmondo View Post
The easiest way is to use a CF card reader and not connect the camera to the PC at all. Assuming you have a USB (or firewire) port, you can copy the files directly from the CF card to the PC. It's a lot faster than doing it through the camera. If you did a little survey, you'd find the vast majority of people upload their photos in this way and don't bother connecting the camera to the computer.
My name is Denise, & I am new to this site. I have a Canon Rebel DS6041& have my own pet photography business. I have never had a problem uploading my pictures directly from the CF card to my PC, until the other night.

It's like my PC has stopped recognizing the CF card. It will recognize & upload through Adobe, my pictures from my small digital camera, just not the Canon. I bought a brand new CF card & tried that with no luck. I can see the images on my camera, they just wont load onto my PC. I have updated Windows & my computer, I tried using the USB cable that goes with the camera, but when I slide it into the USB slot, it takes me through a wizard that starts searching for a Canon software on my PC which I do not have. I always use Adobe.

After the wizard finishes, it tells me it cannot complete the installation because it cannot locate the Canon software on my PC. I don't know what else to do , other than take the CF card to a print shop & have the images put on a disc, to bring home & load on my PC to edit. I am in a bind & would appreciate any help I can get. I don't know what else to do. I am fairly computer literate, but no genius. Any ideas? HELP!
ThirdDayJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th of July 2009 (Sun)   #11
cactustaxi

Thumbs up Re: Just got Digital Rebel. How do I upload images to computer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesper View Post
I have a 10D, but this probably also works on the Digital Rebel: Go into the menu, scroll down and set "Communication" to "PTP" instead of "Normal". That way, if you have Windows 2000 or XP (and maybe it also works with other operating systems - I don't know) you should be able to see your camera pop up as a removeable drive when you connect it to the computer. The "Normal" mode only works with Canon's software.

Note that the camera only has an USB 1.1 interface, so downloading your images directly from the camera will be a lot slower than with an USB 2.0 card reader.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofup View Post
Jesper is correct about the PIP thing, but FYI the order is:

Turn off camera.
Hook up cable.
Turn on camera (Windows sees camera and lets you copy files)
Turn off camera when done.
Unhook cable.

You can mess things up if you don't follow the order.
I came to this forum to find the answer to the question at hand. I was in need of finding the answer of how to get my images off my Rebel EOS without a CF card. I did not have the option of a CF card due to my current location and really needed to get my images off my camera.

A "BIG" thank you , to jesper and Goofup for keeping their attention on the question while adding their insight on the best method as well.

I have found that to many times people, meaning to or not, seem to answer questions that have never been asked without providing a reason for not answering the question at hand. I myself have falling victim to this mistake and now work hard at realizing when I am answering someones question with the answer to a question they never asked me.

This is not meant to bash anyone that offered their help, I just wanted to add additional information about how I felt about the people that saved my butt!!!!

Thanks again,

cactustaxi
cactustaxi is offline   Reply With Quote