Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Motorsports Talk
Thread started 21 May 2007 (Monday) 00:21
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

How do you go abought getting a press pass

neil_r
Cream of the Proverbial Crop
Landscape and Cityscape Photographer 2006
18,065 posts
Joined Jan 2003
The middle of the UK
Jun 17, 2007 07:50 |  #31

asysin2leads wrote in post #3389967external link
The difference between a professional and an amateur is one thing. ATTITUDE!

and the small matter of one getting paid for their work and the other not.

Neil - © NHR Photography
Commercial Siteexternal link - Video Siteexternal link - Blog -external linkGear List There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. ~ Ansel Adams

sponsored links
Roger-Walker
102 posts
Joined Jun 2007
Tokyo, Japan
Jun 17, 2007 08:40 |  #32

neil_r wrote in post #3391185external link
and the small matter of one getting paid for their work and the other not.

Shouldn't that be making a living from their work and the other not...

1DX|5D-II|17-40|24-105|70-200 F2.8 non-IS|28-300 F3.5-5.6|28 1.8|50 F1.8|100 F2|2x-II|430EX

neil_r
Cream of the Proverbial Crop
Landscape and Cityscape Photographer 2006
18,065 posts
Joined Jan 2003
The middle of the UK
Jun 17, 2007 09:30 |  #33

Roger-Walker wrote in post #3391344external link
Shouldn't that be making a living from their work and the other not...

Indeed, forgive my clumsy use of English.

Neil - © NHR Photography
Commercial Siteexternal link - Video Siteexternal link - Blog -external linkGear List There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. ~ Ansel Adams

john300sl
Mostly Lurking
15 posts
Joined Aug 2007
Sep 18, 2007 13:29 as a reply to post 3239515 |  #34

Liza, Kinda of a curt answer. Rcpilot_971 is just looking for some help. Perhaps he is just new to this.
john300sl

mrludecrs
266 posts
Joined Jan 2007
May 31, 2008 23:27 |  #35

This is probably a naive question coming from an amateur, but it seems like you have to jump through hoops for each press pass for each event. If you are a very established photographer, don't you just bypass the bureaucracy at some point? Stroll into any event, get the nod and snap away?

Canon 60D | Canon 35mm f/2 | Wish list: Canon 70-200 f/4
Canon XT (sold) | 18-55mm Kit Lens (sold) | 50mm F/1.4 (sold)

narlus
Cream of the Crop
7,656 posts
Joined Apr 2006
North Andover, MA
May 31, 2008 23:40 |  #36

mrludecrs wrote in post #5634185external link
This is probably a naive question coming from an amateur, but it seems like you have to jump through hoops for each press pass for each event. If you are a very established photographer, don't you just bypass the bureaucracy at some point? Stroll into any event, get the nod and snap away?

never.

richard nailed it:

blackshadow wrote in post #3239525external link
By very definition a press pass means you are accredited by the event organisers to shoot for a press outlet. The usual thing is for a media outlet to apply to the organiser or their publicist for a photographer to cover the event. Once you have established media credentials then you are often able to shoot as a freelancer because the organisers or their publicists will know that you will deliver quality images to publications with a high likelihood they will be published.
The gear photographers use has nothing to do with them being professional or not; as long as the publications they work for are happy with the images they supply that's what matters not what gear they use.
Put yourself in the organisers shoes and ask "how does giving rcpilot a press photo pass benefit me?" When you can come up with a number of reasons how then you will get your pass.

www.tinnitus-photography.comexternal link
Facebook linkexternal link

gear list

JWright
Planes, trains and ham radio...
18,399 posts
Joined Dec 2004
Jun 01, 2008 18:08 as a reply to narlus's post |  #37

mrludecrs wrote in post #5634185 (external link)

Here are some of the media accreditation badges I have gotten over the last year. If you have the proper documents and identification from your publication, then the process is pretty straightforward. Most of it can be done through e-mail or on-line. Even the military is using on-line media applications these days...

IMAGE NOT FOUND IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
Byte size: ZERO | Content warning: NOT AN IMAGE

rcpilot_971 wrote in post #3239443 (external link)
I was wondering how you would go about getting a press pass for a motorcycle event. do you have to be a pro or can you be a Amateur photog. the reason I ask is I was at the hangtowm MX this weekend and I seen photog with vest on that say press. and I was looking at some of there gear and some of them just had 30D with 70-200 F4 lens and I seen one with a 20D and a 30D with a sigma 24-70 and some other zoom not a 120-300 but I think he said it was 18- 300 or something like that. To me it just seems like these guys got press passes some how just to take pictures for there self or to get access to parts of the track and the pits.

Thanks

Tim

In answer to your question about gear, I go to these airshows and the like and I see plenty of people in the media pits shooting with cameras that could be considered "less than pro" grade. (I shoot with a 20D and D60 myself.) My paper has one writer who illustrates his own articles with a P&S.

John

cory1848
Goldmember
1,884 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Kissimmee, FL
Jun 02, 2008 08:27 |  #38

I was in a similar situation in January. One the largest motorcycle stunting events comes to town and I wanted in. After researching and getting answering very similar to this thread, I found the contact info of the person handling media and emailed them asking if I could shoot. Plain and simple, I just asked, She said sure. Only condition was that they get copies of the photos. So, just by simply asking, I got into the event for free, got media access for two days and got some great shots. I signed a release for the photos, and gave them to her on CD. They never specified size requirements so they got web quality images. Which is mostly what they use them for anyways.

So, my suggestion is try just asking. Never know. This event was one of the largest for stunting but it doesnt compare to say nascar or IRL racing...so depending on the size of the venue, you may get lucky.

Gear List
"Those are some mighty fine pots and pans you have, they must make a great dinner!

andrewr001
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Aug 2008
Aug 01, 2008 05:13 |  #39

cory1848 wrote in post #5642044external link
I was in a similar situation in January. One the largest motorcycle stunting events comes to town and I wanted in. After researching and getting answering very similar to this thread, I found the contact info of the person handling media and emailed them asking if I could shoot. Plain and simple, I just asked, She said sure. Only condition was that they get copies of the photos. So, just by simply asking, I got into the event for free, got media access for two days and got some great shots. I signed a release for the photos, and gave them to her on CD. They never specified size requirements so they got web quality images. Which is mostly what they use them for anyways.

So, my suggestion is try just asking. Never know. This event was one of the largest for stunting but it doesnt compare to say nascar or IRL racing...so depending on the size of the venue, you may get lucky.

So you Press Pass cost you maybe £200 ????? !!!

Thats the money a Pro would have earned from supplying pictures - a very expensive pass my amateur friend :-)

elysium
"full of stupid banter"
11,619 posts
Joined Jul 2007
Harrow/London/UK/GB/That Part Of The World/Next To France
Aug 01, 2008 05:17 |  #40

rcpilot_971 wrote in post #3239443external link
I was wondering how you would go about getting a press pass for a motorcycle event. do you have to be a pro or can you be a Amateur photog. the reason I ask is I was at the hangtowm MX this weekend and I seen photog with vest on that say press. and I was looking at some of there gear and some of them just had 30D with 70-200 F4 lens and I seen one with a 20D and a 30D with a sigma 24-70 and some other zoom not a 120-300 but I think he said it was 18- 300 or something like that. To me it just seems like these guys got press passes some how just to take pictures for there self or to get access to parts of the track and the pits.

Thanks
Tim

You need to have credentials in that field so usually published work on a regular basis or working with a company directly.

What you have to remember, most POTN members love photography and make sure they have the best gear. Not all sports photographers will use the best gear. Some will use whatever gets the job done to get an acceptable picture and may not bother with the best shutter speed or composition. As long as they capture what they are paid for.

I noticed this during the press day at the London Motor Show. It was all about getting the photo and getting it sent for publication as soon as possible.

Everyday, a programmer finds a way of creating an idiotproof program. Everyday, the universe spits out another idiot.....So far, the universe if winning

ilantis
181 posts
Joined Mar 2008
Troy, NY
Aug 04, 2008 01:01 as a reply to elysium's post |  #41

elysium wrote:
I noticed this during the press day at the London Motor Show. It was all about getting the photo and getting it sent for publication as soon as possible.

So were they just throwing their cameras on full auto, shooting till the buffer filled, and then scrambling for a WiFi hotspot to get theirs in first? (A bit overdramatic, I know :razz:)

I sure hope that isn't the case more often than it is. :( Has anyone here watched their superior image lose out to a lesser one because they didn't beat the other guy to the punch?

elysium
"full of stupid banter"
11,619 posts
Joined Jul 2007
Harrow/London/UK/GB/That Part Of The World/Next To France
Aug 04, 2008 02:11 |  #42

ilantis wrote in post #6042005external link
So were they just throwing their cameras on full auto, shooting till the buffer filled, and then scrambling for a WiFi hotspot to get theirs in first? (A bit overdramatic, I know :razz:)

I sure hope that isn't the case more often than it is. :( Has anyone here watched their superior image lose out to a lesser one because they didn't beat the other guy to the punch?

Pretty much from what I saw. Composition isnt an issue for everyday readers so the photographers did not really bother. They may have used one of the program modes or full manual but I saw a lot of pop up flashes on the loose, EVEN on press day. Was a sad sight to see. Few people came with remote cables and tripods which made me smile since I could see some thought but that was later during the day.

Some photographers in here and others at the show would take the time to compose shots even if it did take a few more minutes but like the OP was saying, his gear wasn't top notch. It never needs to be depending on what you are going for.

If you are interested, some of my work from the Motor Show - Press day is on my site. http://www.clarity-rebirth.co.ukexternal link

Im trying to find some pictures to compare it to. Aha, http://www.bbc.co.uk ...rshow2008_gallery.s​html?1external link

OK, thats just an example but im sure there are better from journalists/press on the net.

Everyday, a programmer finds a way of creating an idiotproof program. Everyday, the universe spits out another idiot.....So far, the universe if winning

Hark ­ Photography
98 posts
Joined Feb 2008
Waiting for rigging repairs HILTON HEAD
Aug 05, 2008 07:43 |  #43

I was at the Red Bull Air races in London this weekend .... The medai team claimed to have clamped down on misuse of press accreditaion ...ie people with P&S however the proof of the pudding really came as the rain started. I looked around and all of a sudden out of the hundreds in the media centre there were about 10 of us left ... clearly it wasnt hard to tell who was there becuase they genuinly needed to get shots.

There were a few guys there who worked for some large media organisations in IT departments but had been allowed to use the organistion name to get their passes ..... they were honest enough to admit it when asked who they were shooting for and importantly they knew how to behave. They were there to improve their knowledge, asked pertinant questions and were a pleasure to work around

Having staked my claim to my shooting space I had to ask a number of people to get thier fat asses out of the way .... they werent even shooters. one other gripe is that in the pit lane I have my shots lined up, the subject is talking to me and concentrating on my lens then some idiot ... non pro walks up with a 400d - kit lens and no ext flash and stands right in front of me .....wa*****r .... gripe over.

For Amatuers who want to build up accreditaion pick your events carefully .... start off with small local events where they will welcome you, learn how to position yourself without disrupting the event ... learn how to interact with the talent and build relationships with them and learn how to work with other togs around you ... we all want good images at the endo of the day and usually have different perspective of what that image is.
When your starting out dont push in front of the guy with the 400l 2:8 and MKIII ds he wont thank you for it and pro togs talk.

Getting accreditaion comes with responsibility .... otherwise the process will become impossible for all but the top pro's

Currently in East COAST USA
EOS 1d MKII , 1DS MKIII ,400d
L 100-400 L 24-105
PRIMES 14mm 1:2,50 1:2, 400; 2:8
580ex II X 2 ,480 ex II Bowens Portable strobes

narlus
Cream of the Crop
7,656 posts
Joined Apr 2006
North Andover, MA
Aug 05, 2008 11:48 |  #44

Hark Photography wrote in post #6049474external link
For Amatuers who want to build up accreditaion pick your events carefully .... start off with small local events where they will welcome you, learn how to position yourself without disrupting the event ... learn how to interact with the talent and build relationships with them and learn how to work with other togs around you ... we all want good images at the endo of the day and usually have different perspective of what that image is. When your starting out dont push in front of the guy with the 400l 2:8 and MKIII ds he wont thank you for it and pro togs talk.

Getting accreditaion comes with responsibility .... otherwise the process will become impossible for all but the top pro's

quoted for truth. everyone wants the instant payback. it's actually pretty hard work to get established.

www.tinnitus-photography.comexternal link
Facebook linkexternal link

gear list

dinanm3atl
Goldmember
3,120 posts
Joined Feb 2008
Atlanta, GA
Aug 08, 2008 19:47 |  #45

Very good reading in here. Looking to find local events to start :)

Halston - MotorSports Photographer
1Dx - 1Dx - A7r - 400L f/2.8 - 70-200L f/2.8 - 24-105L f/4 - 17-40L f/4 - 50 f/1.4 - 8mm f/3.5 Fisheye - 1.4x TC - 2x TC
Photography Site (external link)

sponsored links

27,647 views & 4 likes for this thread
How do you go abought getting a press pass
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Motorsports Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.