Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Small Compact Digitals by Canon
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 13th of May 2004 (Thu)   #1
Beretta

Default A70 - Indoor Pics Too Dark

I'm new to this forum, so I don't know if this topic has been addressed?
I really like my A70 which I have had for 5 months now. Takes great pics, which I generally take at 2mb. However, most of my indoor shots are just too dark, and I have to lighten them with software. I am taking the pics in the Auto mode, and the flash is being used on each of these pics. I admit I have not tried any other mode, but can anyone help me with this issue I would rather not have to lighten my pics, as I lose the pics embedded info, as well as swelling the file size immensely.
HELP!!!!
Thanks!
Beretta is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 14th of May 2004 (Fri)   #2
Penguin_101_1
User is banned from forums

If you don't want to go into manual mode:
Make sure you have a good amount of light in the room and then the pics will come out brighter.

If you do want to go into manual mode:
Go to Tv mode. You are going to make sure the flash is on and set the shutter speed at 1/60. For me that is the longest exposure I can take without it being blurry. If you do or don't have steddy hands then you can give or take the shutter speed. If you want to go even lower then I would use a tripod. Before you try this at a big event that you will always want the pictures I would pratice.

I hope this helps!
Penguin_101_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th of May 2004 (Fri)   #3
stopbath

Without samples of photos it's hard to tell if there is a problem and what the solution may be...

That being, AUTO on the camera should work for most instances. May not have the artistic results you desire, but you should get a properly exposed picture if one can be made by the camera.

The flash on the A70 is not powerful. It does have a limited range.
All light looses intensity as it disperses, therefore the light hitting a subject at 3 feet is much more intense than it would be if the same light hit a subject at 9 feet. To expose the subject at 9 feet, more flash output is needed. I think the maximum is 14 feet (check the manual to be sure) and that is likely at ISO 400.

If your backgrounds are dark, that is the nature of using one flash. You will need more room light, or a longer exposure to help pick up the back lighting (there is a mode for this on the a70)

If your subject itself is too dark (on auto) then the distance is too great.

There is also a chance that the flash is under performing, and needs repair (not likely but possible.)
stopbath is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 17th of May 2004 (Mon)   #4
mvrekum

Another, easier thing you can do is set the mode to "P" and set the exposure compensation ("func." and the the first menu item) to a positive value.
Try playing arround with the values. + is brighter images, - is darker images.

And yes, a few samples would be nice.

Good luck,
Martin
mvrekum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd of May 2004 (Sun)   #5
Beretta

Thanks for your tips! I'll try and post a couple of examples. Any & all advice is certainly welcome!

Beretta
Beretta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th of May 2004 (Sat)   #6
bigggt

HI Beretta

I just got an A75 and would like to know how you get 2mb pics ,i have mine on th e highest setting(i think) and can only get 1.5

Sorry if this is a stupid question but this is my first digital camera

Thanx
bigggt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th of June 2004 (Sun)   #7
dshah
User is banned from forums

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigggt
HI Beretta

I just got an A75 and would like to know how you get 2mb pics ,i have mine on th e highest setting(i think) and can only get 1.5

Sorry if this is a stupid question but this is my first digital camera

Thanx
I think file size depends on the colors and various factors in picture (apart from the resolution and mode..assuming it set to highest). One shouldn't worry much about getting higher file size pics, I doubt if it can even be controlled
dshah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th of November 2005 (Tue)   #8
rogersks

Default Re: A70 - Indoor Pics Too Dark

I seem to be having the same problems.
Before, flash pictures came out just fine (I'm not concerned with color, I'm colorblind). I certainly felt that they were fine to me.
Suddenly, it seems that no matter which mode I shot in, no matter what distance from subject that I am, indoor pictures are always too dark to view.
Seems to work fine for me outdoors. Just indoors is a problem.
It is almost as if the flash and shutter are out of sync.
Any ideas?
rogersks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th of November 2005 (Tue)   #9
megaweb

Default Re: A70 - Indoor Pics Too Dark

Use a slave flash and Manual mode on A70. It works flawlessly.

See my article at http://megaweb.clubsnap.org/articles/a70_slave/
megaweb is offline   Reply With Quote