FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner
Thread started 22 May 2007 (Tuesday) 21:50   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

BCDH
Joined Apr 2007
168 posts
Boulder, CO
[MORE/SHARE]

I had a little free time to mess around with the camera/photoshop today. I found a tutorial to get the Dave Hill look (www.davehillphoto.comexternal link) a little while back and had been wanting to give it a shot. As expected, it's far from the effect he has with his photos, but that's why I'm here, right? Hopefully some of you Photoshop gurus can point me in the right direction.

I realize the photo isn't a great one to start with -- nothing seems to be in crisp focus. Albeit, I was using the kit lens, I should expect the focus to be better. Is there a way to set up the camera so it will autofocus while on the timer setting? I was guesstimating on where I would be standing, held my hand at that point, then focussed on it. I was standing just out of reach of the camera to press the shutter button with my head in the right position. Surely there's a better way.

My monitor is in serious need of calibration, so I might just have to wait until later to make a real attempt at this. Anyways, critique is wanted and welcome -- The good, the bad, anything in between. Thanks in advance for the help!

IMAGE NOT FOUND IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
http://i168.photobucke​t.com ...BCDH31415/Picture-003.jpgexternal link
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Byte size: ZERO

Post #1, May 22, 2007 21:50:55

Visualize the action -- Actualize the vision
www.ikedaphoto.comexternal link

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
kbreit
Joined May 2005
639 posts
Streamwood, IL
[MORE/SHARE]

I haven't found a way to do focusing in a self portrait. It's hard, you just gotta try. Second, you'll want a circular polarizer to get rid of the reflections on the helmet. Last, did you sharpen? The edges look over sharpened. I have no clue how Dave Hill gets his look, but nice for trying to duplicate.

Post #2, May 22, 2007 21:56:23

Canon 350D, Canon 18-55, Tokina 12-24, Sigma 70-200 f2.8 EX, 430EX
Flickrexternal link | Photo Galleryexternal link

Bob_A
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jan 2005
8,108 posts
Alberta, Canada
[MORE/SHARE]

One thing I noticed is that your shutterspeed was pretty low (1/30s) which probably accounts for some of the blur you are seeing. Try something like 1/160s. You may also have a bit better luck if you use manual focus and stop down you lens a bit more to increase your DOF.

Post #3, May 22, 2007 22:10:55

Bob
SmugMugexternal link | My Gear Ratings | My POTN Gallery

BCDH
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Apr 2007
168 posts
Boulder, CO
[MORE/SHARE]

Yeah, the tutorial calls for some pretty excessive sharpening -- seems to get it closer to the Dave Hill look, but as you said, it also gives that oversharpened look too. The tutorial in question is this oneexternal link, for reference. The image used in the tutorial seems to do pretty well, so maybe a photo with softer lighting would do better? The light today wasn't very good at all, but I figured I'd make-do with what I had...

Post #4, May 22, 2007 22:13:46

Visualize the action -- Actualize the vision
www.ikedaphoto.comexternal link

LIST NEARBY THREADS
502 views & 0 likes for this thread
Self Portrait -- Sort of.
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES