Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > RAW, Post Processing and Printing
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 26th of May 2007 (Sat)   #1
JLeigh

Default Mpix Color Correction

I'm about to use Mpix for the first time, but I'm unsure about whether or not to let them do color correction. Does anyone have any experience with their color correction? The photo I want printed has some blown out highlights that didn't even really notice until I had it processed by Walgreens. The finished product looks pretty bad -really exaggerated blown out highlights. Is this just a Walgreens thing, or is that what will happen anywhere it's printed? Will color correction even fix the blown out highlights, or will it just change the whole color composition? I'm not sure how to proceed, so any advice you all can give will be much appreciated!

This is the picture in question:

JLeigh is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 26th of May 2007 (Sat)   #2
sfaust
Goldmember

Default Re: Mpix Color Correction

Color correction means they will take care of any color shifts, like when you shoot indoors and everything is orange. They will correct the colors and print for a more natural look.

The blown highlights are different than color correction, but generally they will try to do their best to fix it. But its still an automated type process, so the best you will get is a compromise between the shadows and highlights.

The highlights may or may not be blown out in the original file. Thats something that you can check with an editing program such as Paint Shop Pro, Picaso, Photoshop, etc. If the highlights are blow out in the file, there is noting they can do to fix that. If there is detail in the whites, you can send in a message with your file to have them keep the details in the whites and they'll print it the best they can.

It's worth sending it MPix with a note and see how it goes. It should be better than WallMart.

sfaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th of May 2007 (Sat)   #3
partsman

I've used MPix with and without color correction and i have to say they do a pretty good job with their corrections. Also if you don't like their corrections they will redo them.
I've had them do well at recovering blown out skys in auto correct.
partsman is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 27th of May 2007 (Sun)   #4
themirage

Also if you use Photoshop or any editing program that will allow you to view the image with a custom print profile that will help you get the look you desire. Just email them and request a copy of their printer profiles.
SmugMug Gallery

˙ǝɹnʇɐuƃıs ʎɯ uı pǝʇsǝɹǝʇuı ʎllɐǝɹ ǝɹɐ noʎ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı
themirage is offline   Reply With Quote