Mpix Color Correction

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing
Thread started 26 May 2007 (Saturday) 18:49   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

JLeigh
Joined Apr 2007
33 posts
Wisconsin
[MORE/SHARE]

I'm about to use Mpix for the first time, but I'm unsure about whether or not to let them do color correction. Does anyone have any experience with their color correction? The photo I want printed has some blown out highlights that didn't even really notice until I had it processed by Walgreens. The finished product looks pretty bad -really exaggerated blown out highlights. Is this just a Walgreens thing, or is that what will happen anywhere it's printed? Will color correction even fix the blown out highlights, or will it just change the whole color composition? I'm not sure how to proceed, so any advice you all can give will be much appreciated! :)

This is the picture in question:

IMAGE: http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b342/jelsea/IMG_1176-done-sepia-process.jpg

Post #1, May 26, 2007 18:49:39

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
sfaust
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2006
2,297 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Color correction means they will take care of any color shifts, like when you shoot indoors and everything is orange. They will correct the colors and print for a more natural look.

The blown highlights are different than color correction, but generally they will try to do their best to fix it. But its still an automated type process, so the best you will get is a compromise between the shadows and highlights.

The highlights may or may not be blown out in the original file. Thats something that you can check with an editing program such as Paint Shop Pro, Picaso, Photoshop, etc. If the highlights are blow out in the file, there is noting they can do to fix that. If there is detail in the whites, you can send in a message with your file to have them keep the details in the whites and they'll print it the best they can.

It's worth sending it MPix with a note and see how it goes. It should be better than WallMart.

Post #2, May 26, 2007 20:24:09

Stephen
Commercial Photographyexternal link
My Photography Blogexternal link

partsman
Joined Jan 2006
210 posts
St. Louis, MO USA
[MORE/SHARE]

I've used MPix with and without color correction and i have to say they do a pretty good job with their corrections. Also if you don't like their corrections they will redo them.
I've had them do well at recovering blown out skys in auto correct.

Post #3, May 26, 2007 22:21:45

Mark
50D l 350D l 70-200L f/2.8 IS l EFS 17-85 f4.0-5.6 l 50 f/1.4 l 430EX

themirage
Joined Dec 2005
611 posts
Marion, Iowa
[MORE/SHARE]

Also if you use Photoshop or any editing program that will allow you to view the image with a custom print profile that will help you get the look you desire. Just email them and request a copy of their printer profiles.

Post #4, May 27, 2007 17:01:50

-Michael

Gear List

Designs of Utopiaexternal link
SmugMug Galleryexternal link
˙ǝɹnʇɐuƃıs ʎɯ uı pǝʇsǝɹǝʇuı ʎllɐǝɹ ǝɹɐ noʎ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

LIST NEARBY THREADS
1,026 views & 0 likes for this thread
Mpix Color Correction
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES