Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Canon EF and EF-S Lenses
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 17th of May 2004 (Mon)   #1
brainwerks

Default Lens Cap Tether

On my old Pentax K1000 lenses I used to have a nice tether that would attach the lens cap to the lens so when I took off the lens it would hang out of the way. I have looked at B&H for some similar lens caps but haven't found anything. Surely something like this exists for Canon users? What do you guys and gals do with your lens caps when you take them off?
brainwerks is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 17th of May 2004 (Mon)   #2
WebErika

Default Re: Lens Cap Tether

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainwerks
On my old Pentax K1000 lenses I used to have a nice tether that would attach the lens cap to the lens so when I took off the lens it would hang out of the way. I have looked at B&H for some similar lens caps but haven't found anything. Surely something like this exists for Canon users? What do you guys and gals do with your lens caps when you take them off?

Um... lose them!

Actually, I haven't lost any yet -- but I've come close. Generally I put them in my pocket or if hubby and I are together, we take turns holding it. We're pretty religious with the lens caps -- I even keep our other lens in their plastic bags with their silicone gel in our camera bag though ...

Call me a freak ...

I would love to have a tether though too ...

Canon D60 always within reach
WebErika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th of May 2004 (Mon)   #3
KennyG
Goldmember

Quote:
What do you guys and gals do with your lens caps when you take them off?
Stick them in my pocket/vest so I don't look like a tourist. Never lost one in 25+ years of photography.

Professional Motorsport Photographer
2 x 1D MK-II, 7D, 17-40L, 24-70L, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100-400L,
300 2.8L IS, 500 4.0L IS, 85 1.8, 50 1.4, 1.4 & 2.0 MK-II TC.
KennyG is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 17th of May 2004 (Mon)   #4
hmhm

Go to www.bhphoto.com and search for "SICK2", for the "SIMA Cap Keeper II".

I started using these after losing a lens cap or two. But, finally, I found that the lens cap was just hanging "in the way" in an annoying manner, and just starting stuffing the lens cap in my pocket. I suppose if I had a habit of shooting while wearing nothing but a speedo, I might have to consider a different solution, but to date that hasn't been a common problem. :)
-harry
hmhm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th of May 2004 (Mon)   #5
defordphoto
MKIII Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyG
Quote:
Stick them in my pocket/vest so I don't look like a tourist. Never lost one in 25+ years of photography.
That's for sure! Total giveaway of a newbie snapshooter!! That's why we have a million pockets on our photovests. I am so with you on this one Kenny!

An austere and pleasant poetry of the real. Ansel Adams
defordphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th of May 2004 (Mon)   #6
WebErika

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyG
Quote:
Ahh ... but I don't always have pockets ...

Though I do have a bra ...

Canon D60 always within reach
WebErika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th of May 2004 (Mon)   #7
Lamplight

I usually just put mine in my pocket. However, when I get my 1200mm L lens this may be a problem.
Lamplight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th of May 2004 (Mon)   #8
Cadwell
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Well personally I stick mine in my pocket, but I saw a product called "Capkeeper" made by a company called Hama in a catalogue which dropped through my letterbox today. It would seem to do what you want. These people don't have much of a web sales thing going (their web site is terrible) but they were pretty good to deal with last time I bought something from them. If you are interested, drop them an e-mail on sales@speedgraphic.co.uk.