FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Transportation Talk
Thread started 17 May 2004 (Monday) 21:58   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

drisley
"What a Tool I am"
Joined Nov 2002
8,751 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

I am all excited to shoot my first airshow next month with my 70-200mm F4L (and Rebel).
The sun (if it's a sunny day) is situated directly behind us, with the airshow being directly in front (of course).
Will a circular polarizer make any diff in a situation like that?
Also, should the "axis" of the circular polarizer (usually marked with the white strip) be pointed vertically (either up or down).

I have to get a new cir. pol. to fit my 70-200mm F4L, any recommendations (but affordable). Also, how do you rotate the circ. pol with the lens hood attached?

Many questions! :wink:
Thanks in advance.

PS, I've used a circ polarizer before, but with my old G3, not with a lens of this nature yet.

Post #1, May 17, 2004 21:58:41

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=680947

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
robertwgross
Cream of the Crop
Joined Nov 2002
9,462 posts
California
[MORE/SHARE]

First of all, with the sun at your back, a circular polarizer isn't going to do too much that is positive for you, and you will have lost some light to boot. It will work most if you are 90 degrees off from the sun direction.

Second, why do you want to use a lens hood? If you were pointed anywhere toward the sun, then I could understand. But if the sun is at your back, it won't be doing much for you, and it just gets in the way.

---Bob Gross---

Post #2, May 18, 2004 00:08:01

drisley
THREAD ­ STARTER
"What a Tool I am"
Joined Nov 2002
8,751 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Good points!

Yes, I thought that the polarizer mainly helped if 90 degrees, but just wanted to check. I figured it might help with reflections/glare off the planes themselves. And if I am often shooting pointing the camera near vertical for some shots, maybe it might help there.

As far as the lens hood goes, I just got in the habit of using it at all times.
Couldn't hurt, and since I dont use a full time uv filter, it helps protect the lens.

Post #3, May 18, 2004 00:48:22

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=680947

Olegis
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2004
2,073 posts
Israel
[MORE/SHARE]

Just to add about the hood - I use hoods on all my lenses (even on the cheap 50mm f/1.8 ) all the time, just for extra protection. I've been in situatons when the lens bumped against some stiff surfaces - rock, tree, wall and such, and the hood always saved the day.

Post #4, May 18, 2004 01:24:38

Best wishes,
Oleg.

www.Olegis.comexternal link
My equipment list
'I take orders from no one except the photographers' – Harry S Truman

kahfluie
Joined Jun 2003
200 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Unisng a lens hood won;t hurt anyuthing, and doesn't get in the way. I agree with Olegis - it can also be a form of protection for the lens. I use it.

Post #5, May 18, 2004 04:42:51

sponsored links
robertwgross
Cream of the Crop
Joined Nov 2002
9,462 posts
California
[MORE/SHARE]

kahfluie wrote:
Unisng a lens hood won;t hurt anyuthing, and doesn't get in the way.

Then explain how you are going to turn the polarizer with the hood in place.

---Bob Gross---

Post #6, May 18, 2004 08:54:25

kahfluie
Joined Jun 2003
200 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

robertwgross wrote:
kahfluie wrote:

---Bob Gross---

Well, I see your point - I rarely use filters... I guess when I use the polarizer I don't have the hood on... so.. point noted.

Post #7, May 18, 2004 09:01:34

merlyn9
Joined Dec 2003
130 posts
Outside Chicago someplace?
[MORE/SHARE]

robertwgross wrote:
kahfluie wrote:

---Bob Gross---

Big long fingers!

Post #8, May 18, 2004 09:52:23

slin100
Joined Sep 2003
977 posts
Cupertino, CA
[MORE/SHARE]

Notwithstanding the already mentioned issue of turning the polarizer with the hood on, having the sun at your back is the ideal location. The sky in front of you will be affected the most by a polarizer.

Post #9, May 18, 2004 10:20:53

Steven
7D, 10D, 17-40/4L, 50/1.8 Mk I, 85/1.8, Tamron 28-75/2.8, 28-135/3.5-5.6 IS, 80-200/2.8L, 550EX, Pocket Wizard

where1
Joined Oct 2003
354 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

When using a CPL, I use a screw on lens hood. It helps with adjusting the filter, gives you something to grab onto. But beware on wide angle lenses, you don't get a hood that shows up in the shot.

Post #10, May 18, 2004 11:40:22

KBMphotography.com
Joined Dec 2003
113 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Aviation Photo Tips....!

1. Practice good panning
2. If doing landing shots, wait until they are over the "Piano Keys" at the end of the runway. These are the white bars near the runway end and they help light up the underside of the subject. (see my airliners.net link for some examples in there (somewhere!)
3. Play with slow and fast speeds for different (motion) effects when they are landing/taking off.

Oh and wear lots of sunscreen!!!!

Post #11, May 18, 2004 12:13:44

sponsored links
scottbergerphoto
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jun 2003
5,430 posts
Brooklyn, NY, USA
[MORE/SHARE]

slin100 wrote:
Notwithstanding the already mentioned issue of turning the polarizer with the hood on, having the sun at your back is the ideal location. The sky in front of you will be affected the most by a polarizer.

No. Polarizers work best at 90 degress to the sun. If the sun is at your shoulder, your in the right position for a polarizer. If you are facing directly away from the sun, the polarizer is pretty useless unless your taking a picture of a reflective surface. A simple trick is to make your thumb and index finger into a gun. Point your index finger at the sun. Rotate your thumb and those are the directions the polarizer will work best in.
Scott

Post #12, May 18, 2004 12:29:29

One World, One Voice Against Terror,
Best Regards,
Scott
ScottBergerPhotography

slin100
Joined Sep 2003
977 posts
Cupertino, CA
[MORE/SHARE]

scottbergerphoto wrote:
[No. Polarizers work best at 90 degress to the sun. If the sun is at your shoulder, your in the right position for a polarizer. If you are facing directly away from the sun, the polarizer is pretty useless unless your taking a picture of a reflective surface. A simple trick is to make your thumb and index finger into a gun. Point your index finger at the sun. Rotate your thumb and those are the directions the polarizer will work best in.
Scott

Yes, I know about that rule of thumb (pun intended). The OP said the sun would be behind him, not at the shoulder, unless you consider that to be the same. With the sun behind, the 90 degree rule suggests that there's a chance that the sky in front will be affected by the polarizer.

I guess at this point, it's impossible to tell if the polarizer will be effective without knowing the exact location of the sun (e.g. high/low in the sky). If the sun is behind you and 45 degrees up from the horizon, then the sky in front of you at 45 degrees will be affected the most. That would seem to me to be a good enough case to use a polarizer.

Post #13, May 18, 2004 12:38:12

Steven
7D, 10D, 17-40/4L, 50/1.8 Mk I, 85/1.8, Tamron 28-75/2.8, 28-135/3.5-5.6 IS, 80-200/2.8L, 550EX, Pocket Wizard

scottbergerphoto
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jun 2003
5,430 posts
Brooklyn, NY, USA
[MORE/SHARE]

slin100 wrote:
scottbergerphoto wrote:
[No. Polarizers work best at 90 degress to the sun. If the sun is at your shoulder, your in the right position for a polarizer. If you are facing directly away from the sun, the polarizer is pretty useless unless your taking a picture of a reflective surface. A simple trick is to make your thumb and index finger into a gun. Point your index finger at the sun. Rotate your thumb and those are the directions the polarizer will work best in.
Scott

Yes, I know about that rule of thumb (pun intended). The OP said the sun would be behind him, not at the shoulder, unless you consider that to be the same. With the sun behind, the 90 degree rule suggests that there's a chance that the sky in front will be affected by the polarizer.

I guess at this point, it's impossible to tell if the polarizer will be effective without knowing the exact location of the sun (e.g. high/low in the sky). If the sun is behind you and 45 degrees up from the horizon, then the sky in front of you at 45 degrees will be affected the most. That would seem to me to be a good enough case to use a polarizer.

Slin,
If the sun is behind you, the sky in front of you is 180 degrees from the sun.
Scott

Post #14, May 18, 2004 13:00:55

One World, One Voice Against Terror,
Best Regards,
Scott
ScottBergerPhotography

dtrayers
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2003
1,062 posts
Denmark Township, MN, USA
[MORE/SHARE]

Here's a great link discussing polarizers. It discusses how to use one if you don't have an SLR and can see through the lens to adjust the polarizer, but it's still an informative read and useful to any type of camera.

http://dpfwiw.com/pola​rizer.htmexternal link

Post #15, May 18, 2004 13:55:46

-Dave

http://www.trayersphot​ography.comexternal link

Gear List

LIST NEARBY THREADS
3,123 views & 0 likes for this thread
70-200mm, Circ. Pol, Airshow
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Transportation Talk

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES