Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Photo Sharing' section > Weddings and Other Family Events
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 29th of May 2007 (Tue)   #1
ABrownPhoto
Goldmember

Default 1 Shot form my first wedding, 1 question about selling the wedding photos

UPDATE: I purchased PHOTOCART and have the images online.
Total shots uploaded is 350'ish

ABrownPhoto > Galleries & Clients > Chelsea Wedding > Password: Steve
(I have permission to show my fellow POTN members the photos so don't be shy)

I shot my first wedding on Friday the 25th and this was my favorite photo from the ceremony:

Canon 30D | 28-135 IS | 430ex Speedlight | Gary Fong Lightsphere II w/ Chrome Dome

My question:
I was just curious how you pro's go about selling the photos to the clients? I took 1630 photos, and want to know of an easy way to show them to the clients, allow them to pick and choose the ones they want, and then i'll get them printed and mailed.... HELP!

Thanks for viewing and any help!
~Adam Brown

ABrownPhoto.com | Gear List | Flickr

Last edited by ABrownPhoto : 4th of June 2007 (Mon) at 11:54.
ABrownPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 29th of May 2007 (Tue)   #2
Big Mike

Default Re: 1 Shot form my first wedding, 1 question about selling the wedding photos

Nice shot, great emotion and a good exposure.

First of all, you surely don't want to show the clients 1630 photos. Cull that down to a reasonable number. Without knowing anything about the wedding, it's impossible to guess at how many are important...but I'd say that 1/3 or 1/4 of that number. You are the photographer, use your judgement on which ones are better or more important.

There are several ways to show the clients the 'proofs'. You could print them and put them into an album. You could put files onto a CD/DVD. You could put them into a slide show. You could put them on a web site. There doesn't seem to be 'best' way to do it...just find what works for you.

Congrats on your first wedding, b.t.w.
Old 29th of May 2007 (Tue)   #3
ABrownPhoto
Goldmember

Default Re: 1 Shot form my first wedding, 1 question about selling the wedding photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Mike View Post
Nice shot, great emotion and a good exposure.

First of all, you surely don't want to show the clients 1630 photos. Cull that down to a reasonable number. Without knowing anything about the wedding, it's impossible to guess at how many are important...but I'd say that 1/3 or 1/4 of that number. You are the photographer, use your judgement on which ones are better or more important.

There are several ways to show the clients the 'proofs'. You could print them and put them into an album. You could put files onto a CD/DVD. You could put them into a slide show. You could put them on a web site. There doesn't seem to be 'best' way to do it...just find what works for you.

Congrats on your first wedding, b.t.w.
Thanks for the compliments and tips!

I actually DID put them on a CD but i put them ALL on there as lo-res images that won't even make a decent 4x6 and told them to choose some goodies!

I'll DEFINITELY have to use your advice and cut down to a reasonable number for future events

THANKS!

Oh btw, I was with the brides parents as they scrolled through the photos and her mom came to tears when she saw the photo i posted above. It was truly an awesome moment to see the impact my photo had others, and really gives me more confidence for future weddings!

This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 29th of May 2007 (Tue)   #4
Big Mike

Quote:
Oh btw, I was with the brides parents as they scrolled through the photos and her mom came to tears when she saw the photo i posted above. It was truly an awesome moment to see the impact my photo had others, and really gives me more confidence for future weddings!
That's why many of us love doing this.
Old 29th of May 2007 (Tue)   #5
Ronald S. Jr.
Prodigal "Brick" Layer

I never seem to show customers more than 150-200 images. If they're not all spectacular, they'll get awfully bored pretty quick, looking through over even 1,000 images. They just don't want to.
Old 29th of May 2007 (Tue)   #6
Toogy
"I like pictures of myself!"

beautiful image!!

Good Light and Shoot to the Right....
Toogy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th of May 2007 (Tue)   #7
Kiddo
Goldmember

WOW!! What a great image!!

Canon 30D, Canon 10D, Canon SXi, Canon EFS 18-55mm Lens, Canon EF 28-80mm Lens, Canon 75-300mm EF Lens, Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8LUSM Lens, Speedlite 540EZ
Kiddo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th of May 2007 (Tue)   #8
howzitboy
Goldmember

awesome picture! u captured the moment perfectly.
and i agree, 1500 is too much 1000 is too much. id aim for 200 of the best shots max. Even thats alot because an album only has what max? 40?
howzitboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th of May 2007 (Tue)   #9
ABrownPhoto
Goldmember

Thanks for the compliments and tips everyone! Yeah, i guess for future cases i'll limit them to 200 at most!

Thanks POTN members!

Old 29th of May 2007 (Tue)   #10
lil_miss
Goldmember

I imagine they would have a hard time choosing from that many images...

Should this not have been something you worked out before you started shooting weddings? I.e your plan of attack and how things will work for you?
Old 29th of May 2007 (Tue)   #11
cfpackerfan
I love my tail!

Adam, that is a stunning image. Absolutely beautiful emotion.

Congrats on your first wedding.

I'll not give any advice, as you seem to have gotten some good pointers already.
cfpackerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th of May 2007 (Tue)   #12
Tomi Hawk

Xcellent !!! You're well on your way ..
I'm with cfpackerfan .. in terms of all the info you've already got ..
Just keep doin what you're doin ... and cut down on the amount ..
Tomi Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th of May 2007 (Tue)   #13
liza
User is banned from forums

Lovely image, Adam! As for selling images to the bride and groom, I already have that settled in the contract they sign prior to the wedding. The couple chooses the package they want and order prints with the print credit specific to the package. If they want more, they purchase using individual print pricing. Right now, I take orders personally and send them to the lab. As my volume increases, I'll probably purchase hosting from Miller's Lab and do web fulfillment as I do with my sports photography business.
liza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th of May 2007 (Tue)   #14
ABrownPhoto
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil_miss View Post
I imagine they would have a hard time choosing from that many images...

Should this not have been something you worked out before you started shooting weddings? I.e your plan of attack and how things will work for you?
Thanks for the compliment!

Yeah, normally i should have sat down with the families and found out exactly what was going to happen, but it was soo last minute, and hectic that we didn't have a chance to meet. If it were strangers, i would have done more planning and such. But the bride and groom are close friends and they don't have $$$ for a "pro" so they asked if i would do it for them.

I just charged $300 for the engagement photos and wedding. They paid my Gas and bought me dinner and a movie last night. I know what you are all thinking, 300 bucks? Thats it?? LoL but it was basically a favor to some friends, and an opportunity to take out the 30D with vert grip

Wedding was only about 45 people and totally cute!

Quote:
Originally Posted by liza View Post
Lovely image, Adam! As for selling images to the bride and groom, I already have that settled in the contract they sign prior to the wedding. The couple chooses the package they want and order prints with the print credit specific to the package. If they want more, they purchase using individual print pricing. Right now, I take orders personally and send them to the lab. As my volume increases, I'll probably purchase hosting from Miller's Lab and do web fulfillment as I do with my sports photography business.
Nice advice! The BOLD part confused me, "print credit specific" ?

As i wrote up to there, i didn't really get into contract stuff (a MAJOR no-no amongst wedding photogs huh) because it was quick timing and they didn't have much $$ to spend.

Miller's Lab huh? I'll check them out!

Thanks to ALL for viewing, commenting, and complimenting my one shot here!

Old 29th of May 2007 (Tue)   #15
Ronald S. Jr.
Prodigal "Brick" Layer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkWeEkiE View Post
Nice advice! The BOLD part confused me, "print credit specific" ?
She just means they get however many shots you tell them they get for free, and then pay "a la carte" beyond that. Whatever's in your packages.