Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Canon G-series Digital Cameras
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 1st of June 2007 (Fri)   #1
ddphoto

Question Sports photography with a S3 IS

I'm looking for help in setup, recently bought a Canon S3 and I'm trying to get the settings dialed in for cycling pics.

Tried the presets like Auto and Sports and the results were dark and noisy pics. Tried the Av (aperture priority) mode with some success and recently tried the P (program) mode with some adjustments getting horrible results, most of the pics came out overexposed and out of focus.

What will be a good setup for a S3 for the kind of photography I'm trying to do?

In addition to the S3 have a Telephoto and Wide Angle lens that attach to the camera via an adapter tube. Most of the pics that I've taken have used the regular and wide angle lenses.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dd_photo/
ddphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 17th of July 2007 (Tue)   #2
janos16

Smile Re: Sports photography with a S3 IS

Hi there. I have the same camera and I use the Tv mode for action shots. Use a fast shutter speed of let's say 1/125th of a second or try 1/250th of a second. This will stop motion in your picture. In this mode the aperture is set automatically. Use a slower shutter speed of about 1/60th of a second to blur the action. Good luck.
janos16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th of July 2007 (Wed)   #3
The Fox

Default Re: Sports photography with a S3 IS

What kind of conditions are you shoting in(low light, indoors, outdoors)? And of what?

50D Gripped | 20D Gripped | 17-50mm F2.8 | 50mm F1.4 | 85mm F1.8 | 100mm F2.8 Macro | 70-200mm F4L IS | Mamiya RB67
The Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 18th of July 2007 (Wed)   #4
pakomo

Well, I don't own the camera, but the noise you're mentioning, could be because the camera is boosting the ISO, so it can boost the shutter speed.
85mm f/1.8, 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 | 430EX + Omni-Bounce
pakomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th of July 2007 (Thu)   #5
The Fox

Use av mode and open the aperture all the way. Put the ISO up to 400 and that should work for low light. Leave the ISO at 100 for outdoors with av mode on.

50D Gripped | 20D Gripped | 17-50mm F2.8 | 50mm F1.4 | 85mm F1.8 | 100mm F2.8 Macro | 70-200mm F4L IS | Mamiya RB67
The Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th of July 2007 (Thu)   #6
sadowsk2

If you're serious about it and have the luxury to do so, you might wanna upgrade to a DSLR... that right there would help you go a long way for shooting what you're wanting to shoot...

Canon S3IS
sadowsk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd of July 2007 (Mon)   #7
7kpulldown

I'm a hack, I shoot family outings and such, with an old G3. If I have the opportunity, I'll set up in Av, at 5.6 for good depth of field, ISO 100 for reasonable speed/grain, and use MF (manual focus) to eliminate shutter lag. Eliminating shutter lag is the key for sports and compact cameras, take all the thinking away from the camera. Save the settings in one of the custom functions. The G3 has two, C1 and C2. Your S3 has one custom function I believe. I'm not sure if your cycling subjects move faster than a ball like in my attached pics, but I'd give it a try. Your S3 can take fantastic shots, IMO, I would hold off on the DSLR until the S3 proves to be an insufficient tool for your photography. Learn it, live it, love it!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0033.jpg (92.6 KB, 136 views)

Last edited by 7kpulldown : 11th of August 2007 (Sat) at 12:28.
7kpulldown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd of July 2007 (Mon)   #8
angryhampster
"Got a thick monopod?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7kpulldown View Post
IMO, I would hold off on the DSLR until the S3 proves to be an insufficient tool for your photography. Learn it, live it, love it!

I respectfully disagree

I went from an A85 powershot to a Digital Rebel XT a couple years ago. It was a different world. If you want to get into DSLR photography, do it. It's getting cheaper every day.
angryhampster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th of July 2007 (Sun)   #9
283CID

The S3 takes great 'sports' pictures; I have taken MANY! I usually set the shutter for around 1/160.. or if it is bright, higher. "Tv" mode... [let the Little Guy inside select the 'hole' size]. Outdoors in any reasonably bright day... ISO 80. Set the camera to take CONTINUOUSLY, as you hold down the button. I have a 2GB memory; I can take over 700 pictures, at highest res, so I can hold a good many such bunches of action... You are bound to get That Shot in a pile of pictures! Use the 'Optical' View Finder; you can keep up with The Action easier. I have found that using Top Res, I can get something like 30 [bad human memory here], before the camera stops to 'catch-up' . Go to a lower Res and it is a higher number. At bottom Res, I checked and quit counting at 100...

Beats a 'heavier' camera, any day...
283CID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th of July 2007 (Mon)   #10
7kpulldown

Oh, thats right... use the view finder, instead of that great big flip out screen....make that little camera, with the long reach, shoot real fast! The way 283 sets it up, works very well too.
7kpulldown is offline   Reply With Quote