Thread started 23 May 2004 (Sunday) 20:36   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

Don ­ Ellis
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2001
1,538 posts
Hong Kong
[MORE/SHARE]

Three weekends ago, I discovered a neighbor's elevated pumpkin (possibly squash) patch. The vines grow along netting strung across four-foot-high poles and developing fruits/vegetables are supported by string nets. Waist- and chest-high vines make it easier to photograph and there's always something new every week.

This Saturday, there were hundreds of newly hatched grasshoppers the same shade as the leaves. Between their color and their fuzzy outline and their half-inch size, they're nearly invisible against the plant. They're not terrifically interesting but that's all that was going on this week. Of greater interest are the tendrils that are ready to grab anything or anyone if you stand still for it.

Here are four shots of green things growing in the garden...

Symphony...

IMAGE: http://www.kleptography.com/dl/fm/symphony.jpg

As I said, they'll grab anything... this is a somewhat chewed-up plastic Coke top...

IMAGE: http://www.kleptography.com/dl/fm/cokevine.jpg

Here's one small guy inspecting the new world...

IMAGE: http://www.kleptography.com/dl/fm/grasshopper.jpg

And another about to take the plunge... notice his two camouflaged buddies watching the performance...

IMAGE: http://www.kleptography.com/dl/fm/grasshopper3.jpg

Cheers,

Don

Canon G2, Hoya +10 Macros Lens

Post #1, May 23, 2004 20:36:44

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
MrChevy
Joined Jan 2003
655 posts
Salem, Oregon
[MORE/SHARE]

I like them all Don. But, that first one is BEAUTIFUL :!: Love that color you captured, turning, turning, turning. :!:

Post #2, May 23, 2004 21:08:27

Ken
Ken Chevy
http://MrChevy.comexternal link
WinXP w/PS CS for editing, Ati All-in-Wonder 9600, LaCie electron22blueIV, LaCie electron19blueIV, MonicoEZcolor w/OPTIX for profiling the monitors.
Feel free to edit my photos to show an alternate treatment is Ok as long as they are re-posted in their original thread. Most of us are here to learn!

Canon owner/shooter since 02/1967

cmM
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2004
5,705 posts
Chicago / San Francisco
[MORE/SHARE]
banned

incredible....
wooow....
Your pictures are probably the best ones I've seen on this forum. Perfect. every single one of them.
I'm running out of compliments...

Post #3, May 23, 2004 21:13:42

marie
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jul 2002
21,057 posts
republic of Ireland
[MORE/SHARE]

how absolutely beautiful Don.
when the first shot popped up my mouth hung open.

looks like a musical note
it's real nice to see

(now I can open and shut mouth again ?!
although these are thoughts expressed here and cause no movement of mouth so I can stay gobsmacked )

the second shot ..it's like a telephone wire
and the coloured plastic lid looks great there

why the pictures are so 'mouth hanging open' looking.. is because they are nature's designs

the grasshoppers we never see.
I can hear them sometimes but even then... never see them.
to catch them on camera is wonderful.

in the third shot it's like the grasshopper is climbing up the side of a mossy moon

and I can see the onlookers in the fourth shot
(just about, they blend in so well) :shock:
:lol: :D
wonderful

thanks for such a show

8)

Post #4, May 24, 2004 07:19:05

regards, Marie
Canon G12, dslr 40D, GIX
Canon lens24-105
Lmm10-22mm,17-40,17-85, 70-300,60mm

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
Joined Apr 2003
40,771 posts
Providence RI
[MORE/SHARE]

Stunning Don.. the little guy is wonderfull and your compositions give us a sense of the grass hoppers wonder of it all... you have given the insect emotions that probably even the divine creator refused him... (if such a thing exists.. eh Marie?)

Wonderfull stuff!

Post #5, May 24, 2004 10:54:34

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
My POTN Share Threads
Jake Hegnauer Photographyexternal link

sponsored links
Ballen ­ Photo
Joined Nov 2003
18,718 posts
Southern Nevada
[MORE/SHARE]

MrChevy wrote:
I like them all Don. But, that first one is BEAUTIFUL :!: Love that color you captured, turning, turning, turning. :!:

Ditto. :D
-Bruce

Post #6, May 24, 2004 14:51:35

The Captain and crew finally got their stuff together, now if we can only remember where we left it. :cool:
http://c.24zero.comexternal link

JMAS
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2004
2,492 posts
Lisbon, Portugal
[MORE/SHARE]

Note to self: Always look at Don Ellis's photos when complaining about lack of photo subject material :oops:

Don,

One thing I've learn to expect from your posts is quality photos with a fresh look at simple things.

That 1st photo is suberb, beautiful, fresh, very well executed.

Without getting to long, I think technically it is perfect. Light, sense of 3D, colour, contrast, composition, it's all there and yes, it does sugest a laid treble-clef ( ?- in portuguese would be "clave de sol"). It is an amazing shot by all standards.

The other shots are also so great, particularly the last one. the 2nd one I think it is meant specially as an example of what the tendrils are capable of.

Thank you for this lesson/post.

Jaime

Post #7, May 24, 2004 15:17:29

Cheers,
Jaime
______
Gear
Some photosexternal link

JZaun
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2004
2,488 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

NICE!! You have taken things most of us don't see and turned them into great pic's

JZ

Post #8, May 24, 2004 15:50:46

Laziferous
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2003
1,570 posts
Baltimore, MD
[MORE/SHARE]

Outstanding!â„¢

I like #1 & #3 best of the lot. I hope you find more time for shooting, so you can dazzle us with your next efforts.

Post #9, May 24, 2004 17:45:59

blah something clever blah blahdie blah.....

Don ­ Ellis
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2001
1,538 posts
Hong Kong
[MORE/SHARE]

MrChevy wrote:

Thanks, Ken :!: ... there are so many variations on these little vines that it wouldn't be difficult to do a gallery... but it would be a little monotonous... so I just use a little judgement to toss the bulk of the shots. This one looked particularly musical the moment I saw it.

Don

Post #10, May 25, 2004 17:32:18

Don ­ Ellis
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2001
1,538 posts
Hong Kong
[MORE/SHARE]

cmM wrote:
incredible....
wooow....
Your pictures are probably the best ones I've seen on this forum. Perfect. every single one of them.
I'm running out of compliments...

Wow... how kind is your comment. Thank you... since you've reached the highest compliment, you can consider yourself excused from having to make more. Just stop by instead.

Thank you... Don

Post #11, May 25, 2004 17:33:49

sponsored links
Don ­ Ellis
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2001
1,538 posts
Hong Kong
[MORE/SHARE]

marie wrote:
[COLOR=green]

how absolutely beautiful Don.
when the first shot popped up my mouth hung open.
looks like a musical note

Hi Marie,

That was my first thought when I saw it. Considering the very shallow depth-of-field, I'm glad so much of it is in focus.

the second shot ..it's like a telephone wire
and the coloured plastic lid looks great there

I have no idea how this thing managed to grab a Coke top three feet off the ground... but the red man-made object is certainly a nice contrast to the green natural background.

why the pictures are so 'mouth hanging open' looking.. is because they are nature's designs

Very true... we'll have to see what the grasshoppers turn into since there are so many varieties in the world.

Thanks very much for commenting.

Don

Post #12, May 25, 2004 17:37:35

Don ­ Ellis
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2001
1,538 posts
Hong Kong
[MORE/SHARE]

CyberDyneSystems wrote:
Stunning Don.. the little guy is wonderfull and your compositions give us a sense of the grass hoppers wonder of it all... you have given the insect emotions that probably even the divine creator refused him... (if such a thing exists.. eh Marie?)

Wonderfull stuff!

And wonderful insights... thanks in return.

Don

Post #13, May 25, 2004 17:38:48

Don ­ Ellis
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2001
1,538 posts
Hong Kong
[MORE/SHARE]

JMAS wrote:
Note to self: Always look at Don Ellis's photos when complaining about lack of photo subject material :oops:

Don,

One thing I've learn to expect from your posts is quality photos with a fresh look at simple things.

That 1st photo is suberb, beautiful, fresh, very well executed.

Without getting to long, I think technically it is perfect. Light, sense of 3D, colour, contrast, composition, it's all there and yes, it does sugest a laid treble-clef ( ?- in portuguese would be "clave de sol"). It is an amazing shot by all standards.

The other shots are also so great, particularly the last one. the 2nd one I think it is meant specially as an example of what the tendrils are capable of.

Thank you for this lesson/post.

Jaime

Hi Jaime... it's always a pleausre to read other people's reactions and insights into your own photos. Thank you for taking the time. The second shot is definitely more demonstration than art, but the color combination was impossible to resist as well.

It's interesting when you're shooting macro that you develop a macro view of the world. A circus truck hauling an elephant could pull up next to you and you'd be inclined to photograph bugs between his toes rather than the entire elephant. But that difference in focus or viewpoint is what helps you spot events in the smaller world we often overlook.

Thanks again for your comments... most appreciated.

Don

Post #14, May 25, 2004 17:43:09

Don ­ Ellis
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2001
1,538 posts
Hong Kong
[MORE/SHARE]

JZaun wrote:
NICE!! You have taken things most of us don't see and turned them into great pic's
JZ

As I mentioned to Jaime, when you screw a macro lens onto your camera, you tend to screw a mental one onto your brain. As long as you don't step out in traffic with that mental lens, you're all right. :)

Thanks for the compliment.

Don

Post #15, May 25, 2004 17:45:04

LIST NEARBY THREADS
3,395 views & 0 likes for this thread
Pumpkin Patch, or not
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Still Life, B/W & Experimental

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES