Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Photo Sharing' section > Still Life, B/W & Experimental
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 23rd of May 2004 (Sun)   #1
Don Ellis

Default Pumpkin Patch, or not

Three weekends ago, I discovered a neighbor's elevated pumpkin (possibly squash) patch. The vines grow along netting strung across four-foot-high poles and developing fruits/vegetables are supported by string nets. Waist- and chest-high vines make it easier to photograph and there's always something new every week.

This Saturday, there were hundreds of newly hatched grasshoppers the same shade as the leaves. Between their color and their fuzzy outline and their half-inch size, they're nearly invisible against the plant. They're not terrifically interesting but that's all that was going on this week. Of greater interest are the tendrils that are ready to grab anything or anyone if you stand still for it.

Here are four shots of green things growing in the garden...

Symphony...

As I said, they'll grab anything... this is a somewhat chewed-up plastic Coke top...

Here's one small guy inspecting the new world...

And another about to take the plunge... notice his two camouflaged buddies watching the performance...

Cheers,

Don

Canon G2, Hoya +10 Macros Lens
Don Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 23rd of May 2004 (Sun)   #2
MrChevy

I like them all Don. But, that first one is BEAUTIFUL Love that color you captured, turning, turning, turning.

Ken Chevy
http://MrChevy.com
WinXP w/PS CS for editing, Ati All-in-Wonder 9600, LaCie electron22blueIV, LaCie electron19blueIV, MonicoEZcolor w/OPTIX for profiling the monitors.
Feel free to edit my photos to show an alternate treatment is Ok as long as they are re-posted in their original thread. Most of us are here to learn!

Canon owner/shooter since 02/1967
MrChevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd of May 2004 (Sun)   #3
cmM
Goldmember

incredible....
wooow....
Your pictures are probably the best ones I've seen on this forum. Perfect. every single one of them.
I'm running out of compliments...
cmM is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 24th of May 2004 (Mon)   #4
marie
Cream of the Crop

how absolutely beautiful Don.
when the first shot popped up my mouth hung open.

looks like a musical note
it's real nice to see

(now I can open and shut mouth again
although these are thoughts expressed here and cause no movement of mouth so I can stay gobsmacked )

the second shot ..it's like a telephone wire
and the coloured plastic lid looks great there

why the pictures are so 'mouth hanging open' looking.. is because they are nature's designs

the grasshoppers we never see.
I can hear them sometimes but even then... never see them.
to catch them on camera is wonderful.

in the third shot it's like the grasshopper is climbing up the side of a mossy moon

and I can see the onlookers in the fourth shot
(just about, they blend in so well)

wonderful

thanks for such a show

8)
Lmm10-22mm,17-40,17-85, 70-300,60mm

marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th of May 2004 (Mon)   #5
CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)

Stunning Don.. the little guy is wonderfull and your compositions give us a sense of the grass hoppers wonder of it all... you have given the insect emotions that probably even the divine creator refused him... (if such a thing exists.. eh Marie?)

Wonderfull stuff!
CyberDyneSystems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th of May 2004 (Mon)   #6
Ballen Photo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChevy
I like them all Don. But, that first one is BEAUTIFUL Love that color you captured, turning, turning, turning.
Ditto.
-Bruce

Ballen Photo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th of May 2004 (Mon)   #7
JMAS
Goldmember

Note to self: Always look at Don Ellis's photos when complaining about lack of photo subject material

Don,

One thing I've learn to expect from your posts is quality photos with a fresh look at simple things.

That 1st photo is suberb, beautiful, fresh, very well executed.

Without getting to long, I think technically it is perfect. Light, sense of 3D, colour, contrast, composition, it's all there and yes, it does sugest a laid treble-clef ( ?- in portuguese would be "clave de sol"). It is an amazing shot by all standards.

The other shots are also so great, particularly the last one. the 2nd one I think it is meant specially as an example of what the tendrils are capable of.

Thank you for this lesson/post.

Jaime
JMAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th of May 2004 (Mon)   #8
JZaun
Goldmember

NICE!! You have taken things most of us don't see and turned them into great pic's

JZ
JZaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th of May 2004 (Mon)   #9
Laziferous

Outstanding!

I like #1 & #3 best of the lot. I hope you find more time for shooting, so you can dazzle us with your next efforts.
Old 25th of May 2004 (Tue)   #10
Don Ellis

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChevy
Thanks, Ken ... there are so many variations on these little vines that it wouldn't be difficult to do a gallery... but it would be a little monotonous... so I just use a little judgement to toss the bulk of the shots. This one looked particularly musical the moment I saw it.

Don
Old 25th of May 2004 (Tue)   #11
Don Ellis

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmM
incredible....
wooow....
Your pictures are probably the best ones I've seen on this forum. Perfect. every single one of them.
I'm running out of compliments...
Wow... how kind is your comment. Thank you... since you've reached the highest compliment, you can consider yourself excused from having to make more. Just stop by instead.

Thank you... Don
Old 25th of May 2004 (Tue)   #12
Don Ellis

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie
[color=green]

how absolutely beautiful Don.
when the first shot popped up my mouth hung open.
looks like a musical note
Hi Marie,

That was my first thought when I saw it. Considering the very shallow depth-of-field, I'm glad so much of it is in focus.

Quote:
the second shot ..it's like a telephone wire
and the coloured plastic lid looks great there
I have no idea how this thing managed to grab a Coke top three feet off the ground... but the red man-made object is certainly a nice contrast to the green natural background.

Quote:
why the pictures are so 'mouth hanging open' looking.. is because they are nature's designs
Very true... we'll have to see what the grasshoppers turn into since there are so many varieties in the world.

Thanks very much for commenting.

Don
Old 25th of May 2004 (Tue)   #13
Don Ellis

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberDyneSystems
Stunning Don.. the little guy is wonderfull and your compositions give us a sense of the grass hoppers wonder of it all... you have given the insect emotions that probably even the divine creator refused him... (if such a thing exists.. eh Marie?)

Wonderfull stuff!
And wonderful insights... thanks in return.

Don
Old 25th of May 2004 (Tue)   #14
Don Ellis

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMAS
Note to self: Always look at Don Ellis's photos when complaining about lack of photo subject material

Don,

One thing I've learn to expect from your posts is quality photos with a fresh look at simple things.

That 1st photo is suberb, beautiful, fresh, very well executed.

Without getting to long, I think technically it is perfect. Light, sense of 3D, colour, contrast, composition, it's all there and yes, it does sugest a laid treble-clef ( ?- in portuguese would be "clave de sol"). It is an amazing shot by all standards.

The other shots are also so great, particularly the last one. the 2nd one I think it is meant specially as an example of what the tendrils are capable of.

Thank you for this lesson/post.

Jaime
Hi Jaime... it's always a pleausre to read other people's reactions and insights into your own photos. Thank you for taking the time. The second shot is definitely more demonstration than art, but the color combination was impossible to resist as well.

It's interesting when you're shooting macro that you develop a macro view of the world. A circus truck hauling an elephant could pull up next to you and you'd be inclined to photograph bugs between his toes rather than the entire elephant. But that difference in focus or viewpoint is what helps you spot events in the smaller world we often overlook.

Thanks again for your comments... most appreciated.

Don
Old 25th of May 2004 (Tue)   #15
Don Ellis

Quote:
Originally Posted by JZaun
NICE!! You have taken things most of us don't see and turned them into great pic's
JZ
As I mentioned to Jaime, when you screw a macro lens onto your camera, you tend to screw a mental one onto your brain. As long as you don't step out in traffic with that mental lens, you're all right.

Thanks for the compliment.

Don