Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Small Compact Digitals by Canon
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 9th of June 2007 (Sat)   #1
jedipwnces

Default Software Necessary for S2 IS Video Transfer?

So... In a fit of disorganization, I have misplaced the software that came with my Canon digital camera (I've looked it up- it's Canon Digital Camera Solution v. 24, packaged with the PowerShot S2 IS, which I bought Dec. 2006). I recently had to reinstall everything on my computer, due to bizarro HD failure, so I'm starting from scratch, trying to pull driver cds and things together. The Canon stuff is MIA... this is okay, really, because I had been using iPhoto/Adobe Elements (I'm on a Mac, OS 10.3.9) instead of ImageBrowser or whatever it was they had bundled. So I can get pictures off my camera just fine.

However, recently, someone asked me to show them the video-recording capabilities (which was silly, because I have no idea what I'm doing... this camera is smarter than I am!), and we discovered we couldn't figure out how to get videos off of the camera. iMovie doesn't import things from external devices, apparently, and iPhoto doesn't do video clips...

So, I've contacted Canon support via e-mail, but have yet to hear anything back from them (it's only been a couple of days, but I'm anxious). I'm wondering if it's possible to order replacement copies of the bundled cd, but more, if anyone knows if it's possible to transfer the videos from the camera to the computer without using the bundled software.

Any advice or insight would be appreciate. Thanks guys!
jedipwnces is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 9th of June 2007 (Sat)   #2
SaNdMaN82

Default Re: Software Necessary for S2 IS Video Transfer?

well, i don't know about macs, but under windows you can access external devices such as cameras, without installing any drivers (if i'm not mistaken)

when you plug the camera, windows recognize it as an external device, and then you can browse it with ease.

the other thing you could do, is to get a card reader. I'm thinking about getting one, because some times Canons software is pretty dull... I mean, if i wanna edit a picture (resize or whatever), i can't upload it via CameraWindow. :S

i hope i've helped

Canon S2 IS
SaNdMaN82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th of June 2007 (Sat)   #3
jedipwnces

Default Re: Software Necessary for S2 IS Video Transfer?

Ooooh! Card reader... that would be good... I have some access to a PC, so I'll have to look into that option too. If I could find a memory card dock, though, that would be ideal.

Thanks!
jedipwnces is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member