Breaking into Stock Photography

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography
Thread started 13 Jun 2007 (Wednesday) 05:59   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

Bsmooth
Joined Feb 2005
793 posts
New England
[MORE/SHARE]

I would like to get into selling some of my photographs,and stock photography seems to be one viable option.My first and foremost love is Nature photography,however it doesn't exactly seem to be a big seller,because the market is just saturated.I also like Macro photography and that may be another way to go.
So what are the best ways to go about getting into stock photography?I'm not much of a people person photographer.I have just gotten into taking all my shots in RAW,although I still have a few problems with noise issues.
I have submitted photos to :Fotolia, ShutterStock,Dreamstim​e,Bigstock Photo,IstockPhoto and just recently Can Stock Photo.However so far only a handful of photos has been accepted.
Any advice on how to break into this field,type of photos,would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Post #1, Jun 13, 2007 05:59:48

Bruce

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
ssim
POTN Landscape & Cityscape Photographer 2005
Joined Apr 2003
10,884 posts
southern Alberta, Canada
[MORE/SHARE]

If you have only had a handful of images accepted then there is something wrong. What are the reasons that they give you for the ones that they reject.

You are correct that it is an over saturated market but that doesn't mean that people cannot make a go of it. Some of the ones that I have looked do say what type of images are selling the best these days. Try to work towards producing the types that are selling.

Everybody and their dog submits their vacation scenic shots. What I have found is that you have to have something very special or high original resolution to get acceptance. Most of them will catch you if you up-rez a file and submit it. This is where cameras like the 5D and 1DsMKII come to an advantage.

Post #2, Jun 13, 2007 08:40:22

My life is like one big RAW file....way too much post processing needed.
Sheldon Simpson | My Galleryexternal link | My Gear updated: 20JUL12

Converge
Joined Aug 2006
212 posts
Lancaster, PA
[MORE/SHARE]

You can ask this same question on IStockPhoto's message board and get the answer right from the horses mouth.

Post #3, Jun 13, 2007 09:00:45

http://www.ericforberg​er.comexternal link

thedruid
Joined May 2007
53 posts
Massachusetts
[MORE/SHARE]

Simple answer shoot PEOPLE, 80% of all stock sales are image's of people. Stock agancies are full of great nature image's and few if any of the better ones will entertain a newbie's nature work.

Post #4, Jun 13, 2007 13:33:50

LIST NEARBY THREADS
838 views & 0 likes for this thread
Breaking into Stock Photography
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES