Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > The Business of Photography
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 13th of June 2007 (Wed)   #1
Bsmooth

Default Breaking into Stock Photography

I would like to get into selling some of my photographs,and stock photography seems to be one viable option.My first and foremost love is Nature photography,however it doesn't exactly seem to be a big seller,because the market is just saturated.I also like Macro photography and that may be another way to go.
So what are the best ways to go about getting into stock photography?I'm not much of a people person photographer.I have just gotten into taking all my shots in RAW,although I still have a few problems with noise issues.
I have submitted photos to :Fotolia, ShutterStock,Dreamstime,Bigstock Photo,IstockPhoto and just recently Can Stock Photo.However so far only a handful of photos has been accepted.
Any advice on how to break into this field,type of photos,would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Bsmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 13th of June 2007 (Wed)   #2
ssim
POTN Landscape & Cityscape Photographer 2005

Default Re: Breaking into Stock Photography

If you have only had a handful of images accepted then there is something wrong. What are the reasons that they give you for the ones that they reject.

You are correct that it is an over saturated market but that doesn't mean that people cannot make a go of it. Some of the ones that I have looked do say what type of images are selling the best these days. Try to work towards producing the types that are selling.

Everybody and their dog submits their vacation scenic shots. What I have found is that you have to have something very special or high original resolution to get acceptance. Most of them will catch you if you up-rez a file and submit it. This is where cameras like the 5D and 1DsMKII come to an advantage.

Sheldon Simpson | My Gallery | My Gear updated: 20JUL12
ssim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th of June 2007 (Wed)   #3
Converge

You can ask this same question on IStockPhoto's message board and get the answer right from the horses mouth.
Converge is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 13th of June 2007 (Wed)   #4
thedruid

Simple answer shoot PEOPLE, 80% of all stock sales are image's of people. Stock agancies are full of great nature image's and few if any of the better ones will entertain a newbie's nature work.
thedruid is offline   Reply With Quote