Thread started 29 May 2004 (Saturday) 12:04   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

yb98
Goldmember
Joined Feb 2003
2,556 posts
Paris
[MORE/SHARE]

I tried to reverse the lens on my DRebel and took this pic, but as you can see it is not a good pic. I was just holding the lens with my hand. I guess there should be some adapters which allows to mount the lens in a reverse way. Can you tell me which adapter do you use ? Any web link will be useful.
Also I have the 18-55 and the 50mm 1.8, and as the diameters are not the same, do I have to buy 2 adapters or the same adapter can be mount on different lenses ?
Finally is there a big difference between a good macro lens and a good reversed lens in terms of quality ?

Thanks.

IMAGE NOT FOUND IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
MIME changed to 'text/html' | Content warning: script

Post #1, May 29, 2004 12:04:58

Best DPP Threads
DPP++ Video Channelexternal link
New Version DPP++ 11.3 releasedexternal link

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
HKdom
Joined Jul 2003
69 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

There are some links on www.fredmiranda.comexternal link (macro forum) that I remember coming across... You could probably run a quick search there and find some info. Here are a few related odds and ends that might get you started:

http://www.fredmiranda​.com/forum/topic/97695external link

http://www.fredmiranda​.com/forum/topic/99480external link

I'm not too sure about quality issues with this setup as I am not into macro, however some of the posted results look good to me.

Post #2, May 29, 2004 13:24:49

ron ­ chappel
Cream of the Crop
Honorary Moderator
Joined Sep 2003
3,554 posts
Qld ,Australia
[MORE/SHARE]

There are sooooooooo many ways to do macro.

The way you are trying is a cost nothing exersize that can work ok .Also remember you can stop the lens down for some desperately needed focus depth -do this on the camera with the DOF button while removing the lens,it will stay stopped down ready to use.

OR
you can get a reverse adapter to make things much more stable and acurate.I guess you'd pay about $40(?) for a reverse adapter-it may even come with the right step up rings to fit both lenses
(or you can make one out of a camera body cap and filter rings glued together....)

OR
You can buy the VERY expensive lens reverser that has full electronic connections (several 100$??!).Good for fast work as you can then focus with full aperture

OR
You can buy an extension tube kit that holds you lens the right way round but furtyer away from the camera so it can focus closer.these are convenient because all elcetronic connections are still there

OR
you can buy various add on diopters(effectively magnifying lenses) for the front of you current lens
Figure on about $20 for a super cheap one to about $50+ for a kit of several,up to about $160 for a genuine canon one.The midrange ones are adequate in quality
By the way...diopters are very good in one way..they don't lose any light compared to other methods so the shutter speeds will be higher.Wether that's relevant to you is your choice.

Or
you can attach any old manual focus lens to you camera with an adapter(or hold it there by hand).This is the same idea as using the standard canon lens but may actually be easier because you can manually set the aperture.You can use 'em frontwards or backwards and any extension away from the camera will increase magnification.
Oddly with ANY reversed lens,the wider the lens the closer the focus(and so higher the magnification)
There is a limit though.I seem to remember that anything under 28mm allows such close focus that your practically touching the object you're focusing .So 50mm lenses are the most popular for this job.Alot of people make home made variable extension tubes that hold a 50mm lens

AND
(i think this is the only one left!?)

True macro lenses
These are of course the most conveniant and highest quality.Wether you need that quality is another thing....
I find macro done with mid quality kit is still very good because it's such a dominant subject that most people will never notice the sides of the pic are slightly softer or whatever
Then again you might want a proper macro lens because you can use it for a portrait lens also or such strategy

Post #3, May 29, 2004 21:31:12

ron ­ chappel
Cream of the Crop
Honorary Moderator
Joined Sep 2003
3,554 posts
Qld ,Australia
[MORE/SHARE]

This one is taken with the 18-555 reversed (held on by hand)

By the way-the 18-55 because it has such a wide angle,can give SERIOUSLY close magnification.

IMAGE NOT FOUND IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
http://www.photo.net ...to_id=2400435&s​ize=lgexternal link
HTTP response: 404 | Byte size: ZERO

Post #4, May 29, 2004 22:13:52

yb98
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Feb 2003
2,556 posts
Paris
[MORE/SHARE]

Thank you Ron for these very useful info.
Just a last question : isn't there any risk when removing the lens while the camera is on (and the DOF button pressed ) ?
Usually i turn always the camera off before removing or mounting a lens.

Yacine.

Post #5, May 30, 2004 02:11:29

Best DPP Threads
DPP++ Video Channelexternal link
New Version DPP++ 11.3 releasedexternal link

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
ron ­ chappel
Cream of the Crop
Honorary Moderator
Joined Sep 2003
3,554 posts
Qld ,Australia
[MORE/SHARE]

No there's no risk of upsetting anything,they are designed to easily cope with that :)

Post #6, May 30, 2004 03:02:55

LIST NEARBY THREADS
2,068 views & 0 likes for this thread
Newbie question about lens reverse technic
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES