Such crisp and clear photos

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk
Thread started 23 Jun 2007 (Saturday) 19:55   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

moonlite37
Joined Mar 2007
59 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Ive been shooting some wedding and various events for a little while and I'm always looking for ways to improve. Basically, I was wondering how you all get such clear and crisp pictures! The work I've seen on here is so sharp and beautiful! Here is an amazing photographer that has some examples that I am talking about :

http://www.jcsphoto.co​m/newsite/index.htmlexternal link

The kids section has the kind of clarity I'm talking about. Now, would that be a certain lens, or more of a post processing deal?

Here's one I took of my son the other day. I can't get much sharper than that. I have a 30d and the lens I used was 50mm 1.8

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos.

Post #1, Jun 23, 2007 19:55:22

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
crn3371
Cream of the Crop
Joined Mar 2005
7,198 posts
SoCal, USA
[MORE/SHARE]

Camera, lens, and technique do count, but in the dslr world, so does post-processing. It's usually the post-processing that gives the photo that added pop.

Post #2, Jun 23, 2007 20:10:21

gasrocks
Cream of the Crop
Joined Mar 2005
13,431 posts
Portage, Wisconsin USA
[MORE/SHARE]

Clear, sharp images are a result of many factors. Things like your skills, the right lighting, low ISO, correct exposure and a great lens. While the 50/1.8 is a nice lens and a good buy, you may only get images so sharp with it. No, do not count on Post Processing to give it the POP.

Post #3, Jun 23, 2007 20:11:24

GEAR LIST

Bill ­ Roberts
revolting peasant
Joined Apr 2006
3,079 posts
UK
[MORE/SHARE]

I see from the exif info that it was taken at 1/640th @ f/1.8 at ISO 1000. Virtually all lenses benefit from being stopped down a little, and dropping the ISO would also reduce the noise somewhat. At that focal length you could proabably handhold ok at 1/60th of a second. So you could actually do quite a bit to increase the sharpness by changing the camera settings. Even so it sharpens up quite noticeably in photoshop.

I see that you haven't got editing allowed switched on, so I shouldn't really attach the sharpened version (obviously I'll remove it straight away if you wish) and I'm by no means an expert in post processing, but this was literally a 20 second tweak in CS2

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos.

Post #4, Jun 23, 2007 20:30:27

BiLL

moonlite37
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Mar 2007
59 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Oh, wow that looks so good! Thanks Bill. I dont have CS2 , just elements. How did you do that? A photographer that I was an assistant to at weddings and such always shot on Program. I know the pics could turn out much better, just trying to learn how. Thanks for your advice! BTW, how do I switch on editing allowed?

Post #5, Jun 23, 2007 20:38:28 as a reply to Bill Roberts's post 8 minutes earlier.

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
Bill ­ Roberts
revolting peasant
Joined Apr 2006
3,079 posts
UK
[MORE/SHARE]

Elements will do fine. Assuming it works in a similar way, open the photo, click on filters at the top and choose sharpen, then unsharp mask, go to maybe 200% with a radius of 0.3. I actually used smart sharpen in CS2 but it's very similar.

Switching on the "editing allowed" feature is done somewhere in the user cp setting I think (look at top left of the POTN page) but I can't for the life of me think exactly where! I'm sure someone will tell you though.

I'm assuming Hayden is your Sons name? Same as my Grandson, he's around 13 months old now. They're absolutely full of life at that age!

cheers
Bill

Post #6, Jun 23, 2007 20:50:44

BiLL

PacAce
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2003
26,804 posts
ABE, PA USA
[MORE/SHARE]

You need to make sure you get your shots right in the camera with good exposure, lighting and composition. But you also need to do some post processing for the image to look even better.

As for the attached image, you can improve it by applying a little bit of contrast and sharpening. A little bit of hue/saturation adjustment to accentuate the blue eyes and shirt will also improve the image.

Post #7, Jun 23, 2007 20:52:16

...Leo

moonlite37
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Mar 2007
59 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Hayden is his name :D He's 15mo and has such a personality! I know there's a lot I need to learn, especially about exposure and lighting. Are there any good books anyone can suggest? I was wanting to maybe take a class, but the local college has nothing to offer. What do you think is the best way to learn this stuff?

Post #8, Jun 23, 2007 21:14:27 as a reply to PacAce's post 22 minutes earlier.

Bill ­ Roberts
revolting peasant
Joined Apr 2006
3,079 posts
UK
[MORE/SHARE]

Well probably the most recommended book mentioned on here is Understanding exposure by Bryan Peterson. I haven't actually read it but it's supposed to be pretty good. But basically, take lots of photos, play around with the camera settings, try out aperture priority and shutter priority rather than just program mode. After a while try out manual as well. Don't worry that sometimes they'll look awful (it's not costing anything).

Eventually it will start to make sense and you'll find that you look back on shots that you took (say) 6 months ago and think if only I'd have done this or used that... Once that happens you'll realise that it's starting to sink in. Practice, LOTS, and most of all just enjoy it.

cheers
Bill

Post #9, Jun 23, 2007 21:29:22

BiLL

LIST NEARBY THREADS
2,422 views & 0 likes for this thread
Such crisp and clear photos
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES