Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > Talk About Photography > General Photography Talk
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 23rd of June 2007 (Sat)   #1
moonlite37

Default Such crisp and clear photos

Ive been shooting some wedding and various events for a little while and I'm always looking for ways to improve. Basically, I was wondering how you all get such clear and crisp pictures! The work I've seen on here is so sharp and beautiful! Here is an amazing photographer that has some examples that I am talking about :

http://www.jcsphoto.com/newsite/index.html

The kids section has the kind of clarity I'm talking about. Now, would that be a certain lens, or more of a post processing deal?

Here's one I took of my son the other day. I can't get much sharper than that. I have a 30d and the lens I used was 50mm 1.8
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HaydenJune07 034Alowlow.jpg (66.9 KB, 231 views)
moonlite37 is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 23rd of June 2007 (Sat)   #2
crn3371
Cream of the Crop

Default Re: Such crisp and clear photos

Camera, lens, and technique do count, but in the dslr world, so does post-processing. It's usually the post-processing that gives the photo that added pop.
crn3371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd of June 2007 (Sat)   #3
gasrocks
Cream of the Crop

Clear, sharp images are a result of many factors. Things like your skills, the right lighting, low ISO, correct exposure and a great lens. While the 50/1.8 is a nice lens and a good buy, you may only get images so sharp with it. No, do not count on Post Processing to give it the POP.
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 23rd of June 2007 (Sat)   #4
Bill Roberts
revolting peasant

I see from the exif info that it was taken at 1/640th @ f/1.8 at ISO 1000. Virtually all lenses benefit from being stopped down a little, and dropping the ISO would also reduce the noise somewhat. At that focal length you could proabably handhold ok at 1/60th of a second. So you could actually do quite a bit to increase the sharpness by changing the camera settings. Even so it sharpens up quite noticeably in photoshop.

I see that you haven't got editing allowed switched on, so I shouldn't really attach the sharpened version (obviously I'll remove it straight away if you wish) and I'm by no means an expert in post processing, but this was literally a 20 second tweak in CS2
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HaydenJune07%20034Alowlow.jpg (98.6 KB, 221 views)
Old 23rd of June 2007 (Sat)   #5
moonlite37

Oh, wow that looks so good! Thanks Bill. I dont have CS2 , just elements. How did you do that? A photographer that I was an assistant to at weddings and such always shot on Program. I know the pics could turn out much better, just trying to learn how. Thanks for your advice! BTW, how do I switch on editing allowed?
Old 23rd of June 2007 (Sat)   #6
Bill Roberts
revolting peasant

Elements will do fine. Assuming it works in a similar way, open the photo, click on filters at the top and choose sharpen, then unsharp mask, go to maybe 200% with a radius of 0.3. I actually used smart sharpen in CS2 but it's very similar.

Switching on the "editing allowed" feature is done somewhere in the user cp setting I think (look at top left of the POTN page) but I can't for the life of me think exactly where! I'm sure someone will tell you though.

I'm assuming Hayden is your Sons name? Same as my Grandson, he's around 13 months old now. They're absolutely full of life at that age!

cheers
Bill
Old 23rd of June 2007 (Sat)   #7
PacAce

You need to make sure you get your shots right in the camera with good exposure, lighting and composition. But you also need to do some post processing for the image to look even better.

As for the attached image, you can improve it by applying a little bit of contrast and sharpening. A little bit of hue/saturation adjustment to accentuate the blue eyes and shirt will also improve the image.
Old 23rd of June 2007 (Sat)   #8
moonlite37

Hayden is his name He's 15mo and has such a personality! I know there's a lot I need to learn, especially about exposure and lighting. Are there any good books anyone can suggest? I was wanting to maybe take a class, but the local college has nothing to offer. What do you think is the best way to learn this stuff?
Old 23rd of June 2007 (Sat)   #9
Bill Roberts
revolting peasant

Well probably the most recommended book mentioned on here is Understanding exposure by Bryan Peterson. I haven't actually read it but it's supposed to be pretty good. But basically, take lots of photos, play around with the camera settings, try out aperture priority and shutter priority rather than just program mode. After a while try out manual as well. Don't worry that sometimes they'll look awful (it's not costing anything).

Eventually it will start to make sense and you'll find that you look back on shots that you took (say) 6 months ago and think if only I'd have done this or used that... Once that happens you'll realise that it's starting to sink in. Practice, LOTS, and most of all just enjoy it.

cheers
Bill