Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > Talk About Photography > Performing Arts Talk
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 2nd of July 2007 (Mon)   #31
JoevL

Default Re: What performing artist would you most want to photograph?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tipsy View Post
I cant wait for it. I think conor is ace, i have backstage access not just pit access, and it's going to be my first gig under the new british smoking ban! Ill be able to ride home on the train and not stink of the stuff. Should be a great gig all round.

x
Em, English ban you mean, 'up north' we've had the ban for a year already...

How easy can the barley-bree, cement the quarrel!
It's aye the cheapest lawyers fee, to taste the barrel.
JoevL is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 2nd of July 2007 (Mon)   #32
StaticThought
Male (verified)

Not so much 'Performing Artist' but I would love to photograph Alyssa Milano and I dont mean anything illegal either before anyone starts also Hayley Westenra.
Both beautiful with stunning eyes
Static Thought Photography
"Static In Thought, Static In Being - You Will Know when the time comes, Grasp it and hold on for all your worth because it is Once in A Life time Chance" Have No Regrets - Chris Lee 2007
StaticThought is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd of July 2007 (Mon)   #33
blackshadow
Mr T. from the A team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoevL View Post
No contest... Turbonegro, but only if I had waterproof casing on my gear.
Don't you mean "bloodproof"? Hehe!

Hopefully will be photographing them again when they tour Australia (have stated they will on their latest myspace blog) - one of the most fun bands I have ever seen! Looking forward to getting their new album.
blackshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 3rd of July 2007 (Tue)   #34
Metalphotographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackshadow View Post
Don't you mean "bloodproof"? Hehe!

Hopefully will be photographing them again when they tour Australia (have stated they will on their latest myspace blog) - one of the most fun bands I have ever seen! Looking forward to getting their new album.
I swear you guys must be thinking of GWAR. I've shot Turbonegro twice headlining and there was no flying fluids to be found. GWAR on the other hand requires plastic bags and UV filters at the very least

I'd like to shoot:
Rammstein - so much fire!
Kiss - High contrast makeup, spectacular lighting and more fire!
Iron Maiden - Long time favorite
Judas Priest - same as aboive
Old 3rd of July 2007 (Tue)   #35
blackshadow
Mr T. from the A team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalphotographer View Post
I swear you guys must be thinking of GWAR. I've shot Turbonegro twice headlining and there was no flying fluids to be found. GWAR on the other hand requires plastic bags and UV filters at the very least
In 2003 it was definitely Turbonegro that doused the crowd in "dolphin blood" the band then threw feathers all over the crowd which created quite a bloody mess - looked like murder in the henhouse!

It's a pity Hank has given up his ass rocket routine - that would be something to capture!!!

Norwegian punk-rock brutes Turbonegro are infamous for their pyrotechnical stage-antics. This includes the ass-rocket - a giant roman candle being lit from their singer’s backside.

I've never seen GWAR. Here is a pretty average photo of Hank holding up the bucket of "dolphin blood" that I took with a point and shoot - if you look at some of the upraised arms you can see they are covered in blood.

Old 3rd of July 2007 (Tue)   #36
shesgotthepic

One I've shot before - Pink Floyd. I'd love to shoot PF with a DSLR and some good lenses.

Alas - I can dream on.

My Blog!
http://www.shesgotthepic.com/Blog/Blog.html
shesgotthepic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd of July 2007 (Tue)   #37
Spiral Photo

TOOL - Other than the fact that they're my favorite band, don't have another reason.

http://facebook.com/kentfrostphoto
http://facebook.com/kentfrostpartypix
Spiral Photo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd of July 2007 (Tue)   #38
Claire
Ikea Wannabee

Tina Turner - Music and stagewise
Robbie Williams - Cos I'm just a fan.
Justin Timberlake - After seeing him in concert I have to admit he's good on stage. And I'm still bloody mad the photo store was closed so I couldn't buy myself a small P&S. Grrr... I had such a good seat!

I'd also like to shoot some musical actually.

"You too, could easily look like that if you had a squad of mad geeks fussing over you with retouching software"
Claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd of July 2007 (Tue)   #39
JoevL

Quote:
Saw Turbonegro several times now, last time in Glasgow (a couple of years ago) they 'tarred and feathered' the entire front of the audience and Hank complained 'cause the venue wouldn't allow him to do his 'ass rocket' routine. Maybe when you saw them headlining they weren't allowed to do either? It's just not punk unless the lead singer has a roman candle shooting 10ft sparks out his backside!! Look forward to seeing them when they tour here in August, though undecided as to whether I'll be risking my 400D or not...

Old 3rd of July 2007 (Tue)   #40
shesgotthepic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
Tina Turner - Music and stagewise
Robbie Williams - Cos I'm just a fan.
Justin Timberlake - After seeing him in concert I have to admit he's good on stage. And I'm still bloody mad the photo store was closed so I couldn't buy myself a small P&S. Grrr... I had such a good seat!
Grrrr. Do not sneek in camera if you are not allowed to bring one in.

On the other hand, your have some great shots of Semlor, princesstårta, avenyn, kungsportsbron och kanalen, operan (fast jag föredrar gamla opera huset) and a lot of other good stuff.

Your nature photography is pretty cool.

Anyway - nice pictures of my old home town there.

She

My Blog!
http://www.shesgotthepic.com/Blog/Blog.html
shesgotthepic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd of July 2007 (Tue)   #41
Metalphotographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoevL View Post
Saw Turbonegro several times now, last time in Glasgow (a couple of years ago) they 'tarred and feathered' the entire front of the audience and Hank complained 'cause the venue wouldn't allow him to do his 'ass rocket' routine. Maybe when you saw them headlining they weren't allowed to do either? It's just not punk unless the lead singer has a roman candle shooting 10ft sparks out his backside!! Look forward to seeing them when they tour here in August, though undecided as to whether I'll be risking my 400D or not...
Wow. None of that in Oct 2003 or Oct 2005 in Seattle. I can't see them not being allowed to do the blood at the 2005 show as GWAR plays the same venue regularly. I am glad they didn't though as I would have been running for cover. The ass rocket is probably just too much for US audiences or venues

When I shoot a wet show like GWAR I put my camera in a gallon sized ziploc bag with a hole just slightly smaller than the front of the lens. I seal it up by screwing a UV filter in over the small bit of plastic that hangs over the diameter of the lens. I have gotten totally soaked (GWAR seems to pick on photogs) but my camera has always stayed nice and dry.
Old 3rd of July 2007 (Tue)   #42
thelightofsound

do they all still have to be alive? because if not, then led zeppelin would be on that list for sure. but then again, so would jimi, janis, frank..............................

living, i think prince would be a good portfolio shot. i guess most of pink floyd is still living so that is a good answer. i saw roger waters a couple of months ago and it was a great show. i couldn't even find anyone that even had a line on credentials. i could have taken a point an shoot in there though. also richard, i'm with you on tom waits; however, i think i would rather have that time to talk to him than to photograph him.
thelightofsound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd of July 2007 (Tue)   #43
blackshadow
Mr T. from the A team

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelightofsound View Post
also richard, i'm with you on tom waits; however, i think i would rather have that time to talk to him than to photograph him.
He's on my list of people I would love to invite to a dinner party!

I love your Lou Reed quote too - have seen him a couple of times and each time he was sensational but alas wasn't photographing him.

There are quite a few bands/musicians that are no longer with us that I would love to have photographed and I am lucky enough to have photographed many people have listed on the board here and many of the people on my "list" I have photographed - that's why I went with Tom Waits... my second pick would be Neil Young.
Old 3rd of July 2007 (Tue)   #44
JoevL

Quote:
When I shoot a wet show like GWAR I put my camera in a gallon sized ziploc bag with a hole just slightly smaller than the front of the lens. I seal it up by screwing a UV filter in over the small bit of plastic that hangs over the diameter of the lens. I have gotten totally soaked (GWAR seems to pick on photogs) but my camera has always stayed nice and dry.
Nice tip! Maybe try this out when the TurboJugend roll into town later in the year (if I can get accreditation) or next time I take a trip on the river in my mates canoe!

Old 3rd of July 2007 (Tue)   #45
rab_cilbup

Rush
Wouldn't mind shooting Genesis on Saturday, the staging looks incredible, but given that it's an outdoor gig, I reckon some of the effect will be lost at this time of year.
Fashion accessories by Crumpler of Cologne.
http://rabcilbup.smugmug.com
rab_cilbup is offline   Reply With Quote