What performing artist would you most want to photograph?

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Performing Arts Talk
Thread started 01 Jul 2007 (Sunday) 20:48   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

JoevL
Joined Jun 2007
84 posts
Catrine, Scotland
[MORE/SHARE]

tipsy wrote in post #3475795external link
I cant wait for it. I think conor is ace, i have backstage access not just pit access, and it's going to be my first gig under the new british smoking ban! Ill be able to ride home on the train and not stink of the stuff. Should be a great gig all round.

x:lol:

Em, English ban you mean, 'up north' we've had the ban for a year already...

Post #31, Jul 02, 2007 20:01:38

:) Joe - EOS 400D, C400DS grip, EFS 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6, EF 50mm 1:1.8 & EF 75-300mm 1:4-5.6

How easy can the barley-bree, cement the quarrel!
It's aye the cheapest lawyers fee, to taste the barrel.

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
StaticThought
Male (verified)
Joined Feb 2007
1,137 posts
Cambridgeshire, United Kingdom
[MORE/SHARE]

Not so much 'Performing Artist' but I would love to photograph Alyssa Milano and I dont mean anything illegal either before anyone starts :razz: also Hayley Westenra.
Both beautiful with stunning eyes :shock:

Post #32, Jul 02, 2007 20:04:20

Regards
Chris
My Gear
Static Thought Photographyexternal link
"Static In Thought, Static In Being - You Will Know when the time comes, Grasp it and hold on for all your worth because it is Once in A Life time Chance" Have No Regrets - Chris Lee 2007

blackshadow
Mr T. from the A team
Joined Jan 2006
5,732 posts
Melbourne, VIC Australia
[MORE/SHARE]

JoevL wrote in post #3476869external link
No contest... Turbonegro, but only if I had waterproof casing on my gear.

Don't you mean "bloodproof"? Hehe!

Hopefully will be photographing them again when they tour Australia (have stated they will on their latest myspace blog) - one of the most fun bands I have ever seen! Looking forward to getting their new album.

Post #33, Jul 02, 2007 22:41:53

Black Shadow Photographyexternal link
Facebookexternal link Flickrexternal link Twitterexternal link
Gear List Myspaceexternal link

Metalphotographer
Joined Dec 2004
229 posts
Seattle WA USA
[MORE/SHARE]

blackshadow wrote in post #3477573external link
Don't you mean "bloodproof"? Hehe!

Hopefully will be photographing them again when they tour Australia (have stated they will on their latest myspace blog) - one of the most fun bands I have ever seen! Looking forward to getting their new album.

I swear you guys must be thinking of GWAR. I've shot Turbonegro twice headlining and there was no flying fluids to be found. GWAR on the other hand requires plastic bags and UV filters at the very least :)

I'd like to shoot:
Rammstein - so much fire!
Kiss - High contrast makeup, spectacular lighting and more fire!
Iron Maiden - Long time favorite
Judas Priest - same as aboive

Post #34, Jul 03, 2007 00:38:40

Music photography - Gravemusic.comexternal link

blackshadow
Mr T. from the A team
Joined Jan 2006
5,732 posts
Melbourne, VIC Australia
[MORE/SHARE]

Metalphotographer wrote in post #3477999external link
I swear you guys must be thinking of GWAR. I've shot Turbonegro twice headlining and there was no flying fluids to be found. GWAR on the other hand requires plastic bags and UV filters at the very least :)

In 2003 it was definitely Turbonegro that doused the crowd in "dolphin blood" the band then threw feathers all over the crowd which created quite a bloody mess - looked like murder in the henhouse!

It's a pity Hank has given up his ass rocket routine - that would be something to capture!!!

Norwegian punk-rock brutes Turbonegro are infamous for their pyrotechnical stage-antics. This includes the ass-rocket - a giant roman candle being lit from their singer’s backside.

I've never seen GWAR. Here is a pretty average photo of Hank holding up the bucket of "dolphin blood" that I took with a point and shoot - if you look at some of the upraised arms you can see they are covered in blood.

IMAGE NOT FOUND IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
http://i29.photobucket​.com ...251/spindoctor66/TN​06.jpgexternal link
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Byte size: ZERO

Post #35, Jul 03, 2007 02:06:10

sponsored links
shesgotthepic
Joined Mar 2007
734 posts
Somwhere
[MORE/SHARE]

One I've shot before - Pink Floyd. I'd love to shoot PF with a DSLR and some good lenses.

Alas - I can dream on.

Post #36, Jul 03, 2007 02:59:44 as a reply to post 3474071

Gear list:
350D, 28-105 3.5-4.5 (SOLD), 50-200 3.5-4.5, Tokina 28-70 2.8 SV Pro, nifty fifty (SOLD).
My Blog!
http://www.shesgotthep​ic.com/Blog/Blog.htmlexternal link

Spiral ­ Photo
Joined May 2004
494 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

TOOL - Other than the fact that they're my favorite band, don't have another reason.

Post #37, Jul 03, 2007 03:15:02

EOS T2i w/batt grip | EF 50mm F1.8 | Sigma 18-50 2.8 | Sigma 10mm F2.8 Fisheye | Sigma 10-20mm | 420EX w/ST-E2 | Glidecam HD-1000 | Rode Videomic | Tascam DR-07 Recorder
http://facebook.com/ke​ntfrostphotoexternal link
http://facebook.com/ke​ntfrostpartypixexternal link

Claire
Ikea Wannabee
Joined Jan 2004
8,181 posts
Gothenburg, Sweden
[MORE/SHARE]

Tina Turner - Music and stagewise
Robbie Williams - Cos I'm just a fan. :p
Justin Timberlake - After seeing him in concert I have to admit he's good on stage. And I'm still bloody mad the photo store was closed so I couldn't buy myself a small P&S. Grrr... I had such a good seat!

I'd also like to shoot some musical actually.

Post #38, Jul 03, 2007 06:33:34

My Photo Website -external link | My Flickr galleryexternal link | Photography Blogexternal link | My Twitter accountexternal link | Become a Fan on Facebookexternal link
"You too, could easily look like that if you had a squad of mad geeks fussing over you with retouching software"

JoevL
Joined Jun 2007
84 posts
Catrine, Scotland
[MORE/SHARE]

Metalphotographer wrote in post #3477999external link

Saw Turbonegro several times now, last time in Glasgow (a couple of years ago) they 'tarred and feathered' the entire front of the audience and Hank complained 'cause the venue wouldn't allow him to do his 'ass rocket' routine. Maybe when you saw them headlining they weren't allowed to do either? It's just not punk unless the lead singer has a roman candle shooting 10ft sparks out his backside!! :lol: Look forward to seeing them when they tour here in August, though undecided as to whether I'll be risking my 400D or not...

Post #39, Jul 03, 2007 07:06:15

:) Joe - EOS 400D, C400DS grip, EFS 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6, EF 50mm 1:1.8 & EF 75-300mm 1:4-5.6

shesgotthepic
Joined Mar 2007
734 posts
Somwhere
[MORE/SHARE]

Claire wrote in post #3478868external link
Tina Turner - Music and stagewise
Robbie Williams - Cos I'm just a fan. :p
Justin Timberlake - After seeing him in concert I have to admit he's good on stage. And I'm still bloody mad the photo store was closed so I couldn't buy myself a small P&S. Grrr... I had such a good seat!

Grrrr. Do not sneek in camera if you are not allowed to bring one in.

On the other hand, your have some great shots of Semlor, princesstårta, avenyn, kungsportsbron och kanalen, operan (fast jag föredrar gamla opera huset) and a lot of other good stuff.

Your nature photography is pretty cool.

Anyway - nice pictures of my old home town there.

She

Post #40, Jul 03, 2007 07:44:36

Gear list:
350D, 28-105 3.5-4.5 (SOLD), 50-200 3.5-4.5, Tokina 28-70 2.8 SV Pro, nifty fifty (SOLD).
My Blog!
http://www.shesgotthep​ic.com/Blog/Blog.htmlexternal link

Metalphotographer
Joined Dec 2004
229 posts
Seattle WA USA
[MORE/SHARE]

JoevL wrote in post #3478999external link
Saw Turbonegro several times now, last time in Glasgow (a couple of years ago) they 'tarred and feathered' the entire front of the audience and Hank complained 'cause the venue wouldn't allow him to do his 'ass rocket' routine. Maybe when you saw them headlining they weren't allowed to do either? It's just not punk unless the lead singer has a roman candle shooting 10ft sparks out his backside!! :lol: Look forward to seeing them when they tour here in August, though undecided as to whether I'll be risking my 400D or not...

Wow. None of that in Oct 2003 or Oct 2005 in Seattle. I can't see them not being allowed to do the blood at the 2005 show as GWAR plays the same venue regularly. I am glad they didn't though as I would have been running for cover. The ass rocket is probably just too much for US audiences or venues :)

When I shoot a wet show like GWAR I put my camera in a gallon sized ziploc bag with a hole just slightly smaller than the front of the lens. I seal it up by screwing a UV filter in over the small bit of plastic that hangs over the diameter of the lens. I have gotten totally soaked (GWAR seems to pick on photogs) but my camera has always stayed nice and dry.

Post #41, Jul 03, 2007 08:24:29

Music photography - Gravemusic.comexternal link

sponsored links
thelightofsound
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2006
1,399 posts
Atlanta
[MORE/SHARE]

do they all still have to be alive? because if not, then led zeppelin would be on that list for sure. but then again, so would jimi, janis, frank...............

living, i think prince would be a good portfolio shot. i guess most of pink floyd is still living so that is a good answer. i saw roger waters a couple of months ago and it was a great show. i couldn't even find anyone that even had a line on credentials. i could have taken a point an shoot in there though. also richard, i'm with you on tom waits; however, i think i would rather have that time to talk to him than to photograph him.

Post #42, Jul 03, 2007 08:34:44 as a reply to Metalphotographer's post 10 minutes earlier.

--atlanta photographer michael sabaexternal link - music photographyexternal link

blackshadow
Mr T. from the A team
Joined Jan 2006
5,732 posts
Melbourne, VIC Australia
[MORE/SHARE]

thelightofsound wrote in post #3479361external link
also richard, i'm with you on tom waits; however, i think i would rather have that time to talk to him than to photograph him.

He's on my list of people I would love to invite to a dinner party!

I love your Lou Reed quote too - have seen him a couple of times and each time he was sensational but alas wasn't photographing him.

There are quite a few bands/musicians that are no longer with us that I would love to have photographed and I am lucky enough to have photographed many people have listed on the board here and many of the people on my "list" I have photographed - that's why I went with Tom Waits... my second pick would be Neil Young.

Post #43, Jul 03, 2007 09:24:24

JoevL
Joined Jun 2007
84 posts
Catrine, Scotland
[MORE/SHARE]

Metalphotographer wrote in post #3479313external link
When I shoot a wet show like GWAR I put my camera in a gallon sized ziploc bag with a hole just slightly smaller than the front of the lens. I seal it up by screwing a UV filter in over the small bit of plastic that hangs over the diameter of the lens. I have gotten totally soaked (GWAR seems to pick on photogs) but my camera has always stayed nice and dry.

Nice tip! Maybe try this out when the TurboJugend roll into town later in the year (if I can get accreditation) or next time I take a trip on the river in my mates canoe! :)

Post #44, Jul 03, 2007 11:06:13

rab_cilbup
Joined Jul 2006
128 posts
Newcastle Upon Tyne, UK
[MORE/SHARE]

Rush
Wouldn't mind shooting Genesis on Saturday, the staging looks incredible, but given that it's an outdoor gig, I reckon some of the effect will be lost at this time of year.

Post #45, Jul 03, 2007 13:57:13

mark kennedy
cakeyness is the road
Canon 50d + bg-e2n, 350d, 50 1.8, Sigma 24-70 2.8, 70-200 2.8, Hyperdrive Colorspace O.
Fashion accessories by Crumpler of Cologne.
http://rabcilbup.smugm​ug.comexternal link

LIST NEARBY THREADS
14,797 views & 0 likes for this thread
What performing artist would you most want to photograph?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Performing Arts Talk

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES