Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > RAW, Post Processing and Printing
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 3rd of July 2007 (Tue)   #1
mymojoisphoto

Default GIMP

My son is 16 and is in school learning Auto CAD. I cannot believe what he's learned and how he is so "unafraid" of the program and what it can do! he also loves to use illustration programs.

He has GIMP and in his opinion, there is no better program out there for image manipulation. He tells me that the program is wayyyy better than Photoshop or anything else.

Can anyone comment on this?

My son also loves Nero & Alcohol 120 versus the programs they compete with such as Real Player, etc.....

Am I just too old to understand all of this or is Photoshop a "thing of the past"? I always thought that there was no competition!

Now, if I could only get him to sit with me and teach me just 5% of what he knows!!!!

Mojo
mymojoisphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 3rd of July 2007 (Tue)   #2
Titus213
Cream of the Crop

Default Re: GIMP

You have a 16 year old son and you don't know that teenagers know everything? Get him to teach you now because in a few years he'll start to realize how much he really doesn't know....

I've never tried GIMP and understand it's quite capable. I'll stick with CS3 thank you.

Titus213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd of July 2007 (Tue)   #3
dfindr

Nero is the best for burning practically anything to disks. I have been using it for years.
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 3rd of July 2007 (Tue)   #4
forno

Autocad huh, I use Autodesk Inventor everyday and Autocad for the past 10 years

Old 3rd of July 2007 (Tue)   #5
troypiggo
Goldmember

GIMP is free software, which by my calculations is infinitely cheaper than Photoshop
It is also available on multiple platforms - Windows, Linux and other *nix etc.
It also has many free plugins and scripts that people have written that, from what I understand, make it very close to Photoshops capabilities - not its interface, but capabilities.
Old 3rd of July 2007 (Tue)   #6
deadpass
Goldmember

I exclusively use Nero unless i'm burning backup PS2 disc images. As for GIMP, it seems like it works just fine but I know photoshop better so i'd say PS is better. Just depends what you know and like.
Old 3rd of July 2007 (Tue)   #7
chemicalbro
Cream of the Crop

i've used GIMP and like troy says although its very capable in the features dept (pretty close to photoshop but not quite there yet) the interface smells like an old hog, whereas the PS interface is pretty slick. horses for courses. what REALLY matters is the final output ... if you take a crappy photo neither of the pieces of software is gonna make it good "crap in, crap out" as the saying goes.
i find it quite amausing really..... you don't hear artists arguing over what is the best paintbrush

Last edited by chemicalbro : 3rd of July 2007 (Tue) at 07:04.
chemicalbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd of July 2007 (Tue)   #8
davidcrebelxt
Goldmember

Actually, I don't thik PS's interface is anything to brag about either (haven't seen CS3's), both can be equally confusing! And it really all depends on what you get used to... if you've used PS for years, it'll be difficult to get used to Gimp's layout, if you've used Gimp for years, then PS is difficult.

PS definately has bells and whisles Gimp doesn't have (one big drawback is colormanagement is not present in Gimp's current version, but may be coming soon.) Also a majority of tutorials you find on the web are focused on PS... and they don't all translate smoothly to the gimp, because different layout and naming of tools.

Generally speaking, though the GIMP is several years behind PS in terms of development (It's opensource, and developed by volunteers.) So, I don't see Gimp ever "catching up" to PS; but on the otherhand, I usually don't have a problem using software that's a few versions old (I'm using Elements 3.0, myself.)

If your son is happy using the free program, and is satisfied with the results, GREAT! He's saved you $600 (or whatever the student price is, at least.) Don't know how you could complain about it for free!... and in regards to Open-Source software, the old adage "you get what you pay for" doesn't really apply that well anymore. I'm sure there's more than a few people who would gladly use the "lesser" interface, and less developed tool set rather than pay $600!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dcrebelxt
davidcrebelxt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd of July 2007 (Tue)   #9
Sathi

I use both photoshop CS3 and gimp. While gimp has its merits, CS3 is far superior. But this should come as no suprise when comparing a free community based product to an industry standard that costs $600. Although I think linux is a superior OS to windows, and many of its freeware programs are better than their windows counterparts, this is not one of them. But when you are a place away from where your photoshop lives, and you need to do some serious editing, gimp is the way to go. It really is very capable.
Old 3rd of July 2007 (Tue)   #10
dekalbSTEEL

I use the Gimp, but am usually flying blind since there is virtually no "help" or instructions.

And there's no way I'm shellin' out 6 large for a hobby....( Sorry, Adobe)
Old 3rd of July 2007 (Tue)   #11
troypiggo
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by dekalbSTEEL View Post
I use the Gimp, but am usually flying blind since there is virtually no "help" or instructions.

And there's no way I'm shellin' out 6 large for a hobby....( Sorry, Adobe)
Do you use it on Windows or Linux? The help files are a separate download from memory.

As for "virtually no help", here's some Gimp help I've collected over the years:

http://gimp.org/tutorials/
http://gimp-savvy.com/BOOK/index.html
http://www.gimptalk.com/
http://www.gimp-tutorials.com/index.php
http://www.gimpguru.org/
http://members.home.nl/m.weisbeek/gimp/
http://empyrean.lib.ndsu.nodak.edu/~nem/gimp/tuts/
http://www.wingimp.org/tutorial/
http://www.pixel2life.com/tutorials/Gimp/All/

And there's always the very helpful folk in the newsgroup comp.graphics.apps.gimp
Old 3rd of July 2007 (Tue)   #12
dekalbSTEEL

thanks Troy!, I mostly meant built into the program itself...
Old 3rd of July 2007 (Tue)   #13
troypiggo
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by dekalbSTEEL View Post
thanks Troy!, I mostly meant built into the program itself...
I see. Well as I said there is a separate download available for the help files. No idea how useful they are, I've never used/seen them. I taught myself by using the resources mentioned previously only. I'm sure you will find them much more extensive than help files included in software. Do some of the tutorials, there's no better way to learn than by doing... I'm finding the same with photography
Old 3rd of July 2007 (Tue)   #14
cosworth
I'm comfortable with my masculinity

I have never pressed F1 in Photoshop. Help seems just, gimped.

I've tried GIMP, it certainly does not hold a light to Adobe's CS3 suite and the incredible Camera Raw processing.

At 16 I thought a lot of things too...

Full frame and some primes.
cosworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd of July 2007 (Tue)   #15
troypiggo
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosworth View Post
I have never pressed F1 in Photoshop. Help seems just, gimped.

I've tried GIMP, it certainly does not hold a light to Adobe's CS3 suite and the incredible Camera Raw processing.
I am only a novice photographer and have never used/processed RAW, but I read in the newsgroup I mentioned there is a plugin to handle it:

http://ufraw.sourceforge.net/

As you mention, it possibly doesn't hold a light to Adobe's suite, but it's free, and the program is only 40Mb on disk