Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 7th of June 2004 (Mon)   #1
Sector001

Default Canon Digital Rebel MSC file folders

what are Canon MSC file folders? this file folder is created when i take pics with the Canon digital REbel. do i need them when i transfer the images to a CD or a DVD what is their primary function?

thanks for any responses.
Sector001 is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 7th of June 2004 (Mon)   #2
drisley
"What a Tool I am"

Im not sure what the MSC folder does, but it is not needed when you transfer images to you cd or dvd.

drisley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th of June 2004 (Mon)   #3
robertwgross
Cream of the Crop

CANONMSC is the directory of index files that your camera uses while the CF card is still in the camera. Ignore it completely. You don't need to transfer any of it. After you move your CF card to the card reader and transfer the image files, then replace the CF card back into the camera and reformat.

---Bob Gross---
robertwgross is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 8th of June 2004 (Tue)   #4
Sector001

i see, is it a good idea for me to reformat the CF card or can i just delete the file folders?
Old 8th of June 2004 (Tue)   #5
robertwgross
Cream of the Crop

It is far quicker to reformat the CF card in the camera.

---Bob Gross---
robertwgross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th of June 2004 (Tue)   #6
theoldmoose

IMO, it's always better to reformat in the camera, than to just delete either files or folders.

For one thing, there is less chance of old cruft lying around, that might somehow confuse either the camera, or some of the less stalwart portable 'image tank' like hard drives.

Also, there have been scattered reports of failure to copy files over after a CF card has become fragmented from repeated deletions and additions of images to a card.

Because of this, I almost never delete an image in camera, unless it is the last one recorded, to avoid fragmenting the storage. So far (knock on wood), I've not lost an image (I know, jinx!! )
theoldmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th of June 2004 (Tue)   #7
Sector001

thank you all, this has been very enlightening.