Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Photo Sharing' section > Wildlife
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11th of July 2007 (Wed)   #1
mattolson

Default Camera for Safari Trip?

My girlfriend's mom is heading to Africa in February for a Safari. She does not want to carry a SLR camera (trying to convince her to take one) because of the weight and hassle. Has anyone gone on something like this with a P&S? Any suggestions of a camera? If you have taken a trip like this, do you have any example pictures I could show her of what the camera (if you used a P&S) would capture?

Thanks in advance for the help.
Matt
mattolson is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 14th of August 2007 (Tue)   #2
delboysafa

Default Re: Camera for Safari Trip?

Personally, and I know some P&S can give fantastic results, I would always go with an SLR. I dont know what budget etc she may have, but I really recommend at least getting a 100-400mm which will pretty much cover all her needs - depending on what she wants to shoot of course - wildlife. If more varied shooting i.e. landscapes etc, then she could get a second lens. I dont know if this is a 'once in a lifetime trip' for her, but if it was me, I would make sure I dont miss any fantastic shooting opportunities by the limitatons of a p &s.

Saying that, I am sure any of the top line Canon or Nikon P&S would do an ok job.
delboysafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th of August 2007 (Tue)   #3
the_incubus
my head exploded

i think its a sin to go on an african safari and not have proper photographic equipment.
the_incubus is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 15th of August 2007 (Wed)   #4
ceriltheblade
Goldmember

For what its worth, the S3 IS takes some really good shots for a P&S and if 450mm equivalent zoom isn't enough, and additional $200 gets you to 950mm.
In Kenya on safari, some pics are in the field, and some are through the window of the lodge at night, etc.
But, I wouldn't say that the S3 is better than an SLR. Just more compact!
ceriltheblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th of August 2007 (Wed)   #5
vondo

If she wants to really take photographs, she should take an SLR. On the other hand, there is something to be said for not worrying about photography and just enjoying yourself and taking a few shots to remember that you were there.

I just got back from safari and there were two people who took serious photos or tried (I was one) and seven who didn't. All nine were equally pleased with the trip.

If you want galleries to compare the two approaches, PM me and I can send you links to mine and some others.
Kenko 1.4x T-con, 430EX
vondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th of September 2007 (Tue)   #6
rileyreese

We are goign to Africa on a safari in March, vondo which lenses did you use most I think we will have to get a new one to take!
rileyreese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th of September 2007 (Tue)   #7
vondo

From my menu of lenses I used the 400mm most, often with the teleconverter. I kept that lens on my 20D pretty much all the time and then generally kept the 28-105mm on a 300D I had at the time. Occasionally I would switch in my 100-300mm zoom, but the photos from that are obviously flat and unsharp compared to the 400L. That was for a savanna safari. Later on in the trip I went gorilla and chimp tracking and there I used the 100mm f/2, but a 85mm prime would be optimal for the gorillas and a 200mm prime for the chimps.

My ideal 2 lens/2 body setup would be 5D+70-200mm on one and 40D+400mm on another. The wide angle could be switched in for landscapes, but they have the advantage of not moving, so one can take a little longer.

Whatever you do, don't forget a bean-bag. I bought a Safari Sack from Kinesis and LOVED it. It takes 4 kilos of beans that you can buy in a grocery store when you get there. I also used a superclamp and ballhead occasionally to turn the land rover into a giant tripod.

One thing you can count on: there will be times when you don't have enough reach and times when you don't have enough light. All you can do is minimize those times with the budget you have. Just be prepared to enjoy seeing things you can't photograph.

Where are you headed?
Kenko 1.4x T-con, 430EX
vondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th of September 2007 (Tue)   #8
Indecent Exposure
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_incubus View Post
i think its a sin to go on an african safari and not have proper photographic equipment.
He speaks the truth. I think it's in Leviticus somewhere...
Gear List and Feedback
Indecent Exposure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th of September 2007 (Tue)   #9
rileyreese

We are spending three days at Kruger national park after 7 days in Johannesburg on a mission trip. We have a Canan Rebel and plan on getting a new lense before we go (the Hubby wants something like a 18-105) but our largest only goes to 300mm so we might need to get something bigger but then again don't want to spend the money if we don't hav too when we are going to buy a new Lowepro backpack (either the MiniTrekker AW or the Vertex 100 AW).
rileyreese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th of September 2007 (Tue)   #10
markblanchard13

I'd take the hassle and tote the SLR.
i'd be less annoying than going on a trip to Africa and realizing I could have gotten nicer pics if I had brought it!
My opinion, keep the $.02

"My pictures do not exist without color. It is through color that feeling is brought out. So I conclude that color is feeling." -Pete Turner
markblanchard13 is offline   Reply With Quote