Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Canon EF and EF-S Lenses
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19th of July 2007 (Thu)   #31
Cadwell
Cream of the Crop
 
Cadwell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Hampshire, UK
Posts: 7,333
Default Re: Sigma 17-70 F2.8-4.5 - User Review -

Mmm... or how about buying the 24-105mm if you don't want the edge softeness or the CA? Perhaps the weather sealing would be nice or the much faster and quieter autofocus? Maybe full time manual focus?

I've actually just bought a Sigma 17-70mm to put on my old 10D and use it as a camera to keep in the car. It isn't a bad lens. I was quite impressed by the build given the price. Certainly a Canon lens at this price point would be much flimsier. Does it have the same finish as a Sigma EX? Superficially it looks similar but it doen't bear comparison to that on my two genuine Sigma EX lenses (120-300mm f/2.8 and 500mm f/4.5). The optics are OK... pretty good really for the money but L busting when examined closely? No. Mind you I didn't expect them to be. All in all I am quite happy with the Sigma;it will do what I want and is ideal for the application I have in mind.

The bad news? It took me three copies to get one that didn't have serious back focus issues. Thankfully I have a very understanding supplier (that might be down to the amount of money I've spent with them over the years ) but even so, having to test and repackage 2 lenses before I got one that worked right was a pain. I also noticed that all three copies of the lens show reluctance to AF if you start off with them really out of focus when pointing at a low contrast subject. Give them a little helping nudge by manualy focusing them somewhere near and they are fine but without full time manual focus override this becomes a little fiddly.

You gets what you pay for and if you can find a good copy, this lens is a bit of a bargain.
__________________
Glenn
My Pictures: Motorsport/Canoe Polo/Other Stuff

Last edited by Cadwell : 19th of July 2007 (Thu) at 05:30.
Cadwell is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 19th of July 2007 (Thu)   #32
JMHPhotography
Goldmember
 
JMHPhotography's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 4,783
Default Re: Sigma 17-70 F2.8-4.5 - User Review -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick_C View Post
But that would be completely unfair, the Canon has IS, the Sigma doesnt, but on the Sigmas side it has F2.8!

We all know the benefits of IS, & that is one of the key selling points of the 24-105, but this wasnt supposed to be a Sigma vs Canon debate, purely just to demostrate the fine optics of the 17-70, nothing more.

Nick
I think it is fair. If you're going to post a test between two lenses, you should test them both under the same conditions, and vary the conditions for both equally. Last time I checked, they didn't do school plays, or dance recitals, or school award ceremonies outdoors under partly cloudy skies. Some noob sees this thread, and rushes out to by the Sigma 17-70 thinking it's as good or better will be very disspointed when they see thier pictures from it under those conditions.

NOTE: I actually OWN and LIKE my Sigma 17-70mm but I also knew what I was buying and how I'd be using it befrore doing so.
__________________
~John

(aka forkball)
Have a peek into my Gearbag. and My flickr
editing of my photos by permission only. Thanks
JMHPhotography is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th of July 2007 (Thu)   #33
JMHPhotography
Goldmember
 
JMHPhotography's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 4,783
Default Re: Sigma 17-70 F2.8-4.5 - User Review -

Quote:
Originally Posted by canon_fire View Post
hmmm ... so to those who have had both at the same time and do serious shooting .. I have to ask, Would my time and all be worth it upping to the 24-105 L over the sig 17-70??
I don't have the 24-105L but I have the 24-70L and the Sigma 17-70 which I think is a more realistic comparison since the ranges are much closer and the 24-70L doesn't have the unfair advantage of the IS, and to be perfectly honest... when I'm doing a paid wedding, or paid job. I will 10 times out of 10 reach for the 24-70L. Image quality aside... I get faster and more responsive AF, silent AF, F/2.8 throughout the range...(the 17-70 is only f/2.8 at the 17-20ish setting, btw), and on top of this... the 24-70L just plain makes better images.

So why do I own the 17-70?? When I go out and just want to grab some happy snaps... Carrying my bag isn't the most convenient thing in the world. My 20D and 17-70 make a fantastic setup for quick snaps of everyday life.

20D with Sigma 17-70... f/3.5 at 33mm and 1/160 and ISO 800 with no flash
__________________
~John

(aka forkball)
Have a peek into my Gearbag. and My flickr
editing of my photos by permission only. Thanks

Last edited by JMHPhotography : 19th of July 2007 (Thu) at 09:03.
JMHPhotography is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 19th of July 2007 (Thu)   #34
Nick_C
Goldmember
 
Nick_C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Tin Mine Country (Cornwall UK)
Posts: 4,042
Default Re: Sigma 17-70 F2.8-4.5 - User Review -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadwell View Post
Mmm... or how about buying the 24-105mm if you don't want the edge softeness or the CA? Perhaps the weather sealing would be nice or the much faster and quieter autofocus? Maybe full time manual focus?

I've actually just bought a Sigma 17-70mm to put on my old 10D and use it as a camera to keep in the car. It isn't a bad lens. I was quite impressed by the build given the price. Certainly a Canon lens at this price point would be much flimsier. Does it have the same finish as a Sigma EX? Superficially it looks similar but it doen't bear comparison to that on my two genuine Sigma EX lenses (120-300mm f/2.8 and 500mm f/4.5). The optics are OK... pretty good really for the money but L busting when examined closely? No. Mind you I didn't expect them to be. All in all I am quite happy with the Sigma;it will do what I want and is ideal for the application I have in mind.

The bad news? It took me three copies to get one that didn't have serious back focus issues. Thankfully I have a very understanding supplier (that might be down to the amount of money I've spent with them over the years ) but even so, having to test and repackage 2 lenses before I got one that worked right was a pain. I also noticed that all three copies of the lens show reluctance to AF if you start off with them really out of focus when pointing at a low contrast subject. Give them a little helping nudge by manualy focusing them somewhere near and they are fine but without full time manual focus override this becomes a little fiddly.

You gets what you pay for and if you can find a good copy, this lens is a bit of a bargain.
Well I have found that the 24-105L has edge softness just the same as the 17-70, buying the Canon wont get rid of that issue, its probably much better when mounted on a 1.6x body but its not a very nice focal range then.

As for the other features like full time focussing & IS, well all I was comparing was IQ, features aside yes the Canon is more packed with goodies, but the price is MUCH more so I would expect more, however I still believe the 17-70 certainly CAN match an L for optics, the L may have the edge but its not as much of a difference as some L fanatics make out!

Nick
Nick_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th of July 2007 (Thu)   #35
Nick_C
Goldmember
 
Nick_C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Tin Mine Country (Cornwall UK)
Posts: 4,042
Default Re: Sigma 17-70 F2.8-4.5 - User Review -

Quote:
Originally Posted by forkball View Post
I don't have the 24-105L but I have the 24-70L and the Sigma 17-70 which I think is a more realistic comparison since the ranges are much closer and the 24-70L doesn't have the unfair advantage of the IS, and to be perfectly honest... when I'm doing a paid wedding, or paid job. I will 10 times out of 10 reach for the 24-70L. Image quality aside... I get faster and more responsive AF, silent AF, F/2.8 throughout the range...(the 17-70 is only f/2.8 at the 17-20ish setting, btw), and on top of this... the 24-70L just plain makes better images.

So why do I own the 17-70?? When I go out and just want to grab some happy snaps... Carrying my bag isn't the most convenient thing in the world. My 20D and 17-70 make a fantastic setup for quick snaps of everyday life.

20D with Sigma 17-70... f/3.5 at 33mm and 1/160 and ISO 800 with no flash
I reason why I compared against the 24-105 is mainly because its what I have, but also because the 17-70 is really a 27-112mm lens, so its near enough to the 24-105.

As far as the 24-105 having un unfair advantage in the form of IS, all the tests were done with IS turned off so that it didnt have any gain over the 17-70.

Of course the L lenses will always have the edge, but the difference isnt always as much as you would expect it to be.

Nick
Nick_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th of July 2007 (Thu)   #36
Cadwell
Cream of the Crop
 
Cadwell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Hampshire, UK
Posts: 7,333
Default Re: Sigma 17-70 F2.8-4.5 - User Review -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick_C View Post
the L may have the edge but its not as much of a difference as some L fanatics make out!
I am hardly an L fanatic, in fact I'm quite famous around this forum for not being one!
__________________
Glenn
My Pictures: Motorsport/Canoe Polo/Other Stuff
Cadwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th of July 2007 (Thu)   #37
Nick_C
Goldmember
 
Nick_C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Tin Mine Country (Cornwall UK)
Posts: 4,042
Default Re: Sigma 17-70 F2.8-4.5 - User Review -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadwell View Post
I am hardly an L fanatic, in fact I'm quite famous around this forum for not being one!
Sorry no I wasnt directing that at you, I was referring to some others I have seen on here.

Nick
Nick_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th of July 2007 (Thu)   #38
Bosman
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 832
Default Re: Sigma 17-70 F2.8-4.5 - User Review -

What are the max apertures by focal length?
__________________
Joe

Rebel XT with grip
Tamron SP AF28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF)
Canon 18-55 3.5-5.6
Canon 50 1.8
420EX
Domke
F-3X
Domke F-5XB
Bosman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th of July 2007 (Thu)   #39
Bosman
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 832
Default Re: Sigma 17-70 F2.8-4.5 - User Review -

Found an awesome deal on this lens

http://www.bestpricecameras.com/prod...?prodid=481956
__________________
Joe

Rebel XT with grip
Tamron SP AF28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF)
Canon 18-55 3.5-5.6
Canon 50 1.8
420EX
Domke
F-3X
Domke F-5XB
Bosman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th of July 2007 (Thu)   #40
canon_fire
Member
 
canon_fire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 854
Default Re: Sigma 17-70 F2.8-4.5 - User Review -

hmmm .... I better buy 3
canon_fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th of July 2007 (Thu)   #41
Nick_C
Goldmember
 
Nick_C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Tin Mine Country (Cornwall UK)
Posts: 4,042
Default Re: Sigma 17-70 F2.8-4.5 - User Review -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosman View Post
What are the max apertures by focal length?
I have seen this on the forum someplace, I will see if I can find it for you unless somebody else has the figures.

Nick
Nick_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th of July 2007 (Thu)   #42
LightRules
"flat out embarrassing"
 
LightRules's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 9,902
Default Re: Sigma 17-70 F2.8-4.5 - User Review -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosman View Post
What are the max apertures by focal length?
17-20mm 2.8
21-24mm 3.2
25-34mm 3.5
35-54mm 4.0
55-70mm 4.5

[taken from my 1785 and 1770 review http://www.pbase.com/lightrules/17701785 ]

Last edited by LightRules : 19th of July 2007 (Thu) at 14:56.
LightRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th of July 2007 (Thu)   #43
LightRules
"flat out embarrassing"
 
LightRules's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 9,902
Default Re: Sigma 17-70 F2.8-4.5 - User Review -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosman View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by canon_fire View Post
hmmm .... I better buy 3
Hey, at least you get free shipping

In all seriousness, stay away from www.bestpricescameras.con
LightRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th of July 2007 (Thu)   #44
Nick_C
Goldmember
 
Nick_C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Tin Mine Country (Cornwall UK)
Posts: 4,042
Default Re: Sigma 17-70 F2.8-4.5 - User Review -

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightRules View Post
17-20mm 2.8
21-24mm 3.2
25-34mm 3.5
35-54mm 4.0
55-70mm 4.5

[taken from my 1785 and 1770 review http://www.pbase.com/lightrules/17701785 ]
I thought I saw that somewhere

Nick
Nick_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th of July 2007 (Thu)   #45
Bosman
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 832
Default Re: Sigma 17-70 F2.8-4.5 - User Review -

Thanks!

And also thanks to Nick for another great review!

Sometimes I think the Sigma 17-70 would make a better walk around than my Tamron28-75, but I do love the f2.8. But your review has me pondering this again.

Cheers

Joe
__________________
Joe

Rebel XT with grip
Tamron SP AF28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF)
Canon 18-55 3.5-5.6
Canon 50 1.8
420EX
Domke
F-3X
Domke F-5XB
Bosman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Canon Review Video from a "Nikon User" dmwierz The POTN Lounge 11 11th of January 2007 (Thu) 20:32
Sigma 30mm on the way - User advice? Jman13 Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 8 20th of November 2006 (Mon) 17:11
Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 user manual (NON-DG) Mycroft Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 0 11th of April 2006 (Tue) 04:15
Castleman Mark II user review Pekka Canon EOS Digital Cameras 1 24th of April 2004 (Sat) 18:11
Sigma 12-24mm...any user lkkoh Canon EOS Digital Cameras 1 8th of February 2004 (Sun) 14:37


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 16:32.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.12
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
This forum is not affiliated with Canon in any way and is run as a free user helpsite by Pekka Saarinen, Helsinki Finland. You will need to register in order to be able to post messages. Cookies are required for registering and posting. HTML in messages is not allowed, plain website addresses are automatically made active by the board.