Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 21st of June 2004 (Mon)   #1
Nasser

Default Sharp and rich color photos

Hello folks ,
This is my first post , I own Nikon Pronea 600i (APS) camera and the Fujifilm Finepix 6900z (Digital). I'm not quit happy with their output quality!!
Now I'm thinking to get my third one, but not sure which one will satisfy me? Shall I go for film (EOS 30V) or Digital Canon 10D/Nikon D70?
My target is having sharp and rich color photos. I highly appreciate sharing your experience and opinion.
Nasser is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 21st of June 2004 (Mon)   #2
timmyquest
User is banned from forums

Either the 10D or the D70 will give you nice rich colors.

Unless you have an unlimited budget once you decide which (nikon or canon) you get your really making a long term decision, typicaly a decision that will take you beyond the actual camera. With the camera you'll need lenses.

I suspect most around here will tell you to get the 10D...
timmyquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st of June 2004 (Mon)   #3
Nasser

Thank you, .Shall I drop the film option ? I have seen a pro photos done by the Canon EOS Elan 7e (EOS 30V) . That is why I consider it as one of my options.
Nasser is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 21st of June 2004 (Mon)   #4
Jesper
Goldmember

You already have a film camera and a digital camera, so you already have an idea about the differences between film and digital.

The first thing you should think about is if you want a film camera or digital camera. You can make sharp photos with rich colors with both. However, the camera is not the main thing that makes photos sharp and rich in colors - the lens you use and in the case of film, the film you use is much more important.

For the richest colors with film, you should use slide film instead of print film. Fuji Velvia is a very well-known slide film for its rich colors.

For digital, you should so some post processing on your computer to get the best sharpness and colors, so you'll need good software such as Photoshop in addition to your camera.

You say that you're considering the EOS 30v because you've seen professional photos made with that camera. I'm sure that a pro could make photos that are just as good with the cheapest Canon Rebel camera. The camera itself (especially with film) is not what makes the photo more beautiful or more professional.
Old 21st of June 2004 (Mon)   #5
timmyquest
User is banned from forums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasser
Thank you, .Shall I drop the film option ? I have seen a pro photos done by the Canon EOS Elan 7e (EOS 30V) . That is why I consider it as one of my options.
I could be very very wrong here but with film bodies the only part that really matters is the film used and the lens used, this is assuming the camera allows the photographer to get the image in focus and captured at the right moment.

My point is i should be able to take a great looking portrait shot with my rebel 2000 so long as i have the proper lighting lenses and film. It may not however allow me to stop an NFL football player who runs a 4.3 40.

I'm not taking away from film at all, but who's going to be paying for this film?

Here are the major reasons i live by digital, i think most here would agree:

1. Cost per picture...$0, yes you pay for equipment however you can take so many more shots with a digital and not worry about the cost. This allows you to be much more creative with your work.

2. What can be done after the shot. With a digital photograph you can take it into a program like PS and do things that you could never do in a dark room. However, you can do things that you can do in a dark room. You lose nothing here, only gain it. Furthermore, it is much easier to make differnt sized prints with a digital picture because of the "raw" photo (not file format) which i'll explain in my next point.

3. With film you either have to take it to a photo lab or to your own dark room, they make your negs, then you typically buy 5x7's or whatever.

So now you have a package of 24 negatives, how oftren have you taken 24 shots that you would consider worthwhile? I'd imagine most of us have not. And the ones you do like you must keep in a safe place. Humidity/temprature/fingerprints...all issues with any sort of physical material.

Digital though, put your "negatives" (Which i consider any unedited photo straight from the camera) and store them on a hard drive, store them on a CD, a DVD...it doesnt matter. Storage is small compact, and most of all...it is easily reproduced. I'm getting ready to buy a 2nd hard drive just so i can store all my "digital negatives" on two hard drives...just in case.

So should you rule film out? No, and there needs no explination for the positives of film, the past hundred plus years has done a fine enough job of that. But what you must realize when you see "pro" shots from a film camera, there is much more then just the camera. But, and i stress this, dont be fooled...the same applies to a digital camera. Digital photography is great but many people see the sample photos on canons web site for example and just assume that anyone can take these photos, this is not the case.

Hope that helps
timmyquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st of June 2004 (Mon)   #6
robertwgross
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesper
For the richest colors with film, you should use slide film instead of print film. Fuji Velvia is a very well-known slide film for its rich colors.
I agree with what Jesper wrote. I still use Velvia in my film camera, or else a little Provia. However, once it is exposed, it must be processed into slides. Then you have to scan the slides to make any sort of digital images out of them. It's just a hassle.

For the time being, I can still present a traditional slide show using a traditional Kodak slide projector. However, Kodak has now quit that business. In a few years, it will be a rare case to see a traditional slide projector, and almost any presentation will be done purely digitally. I can see the handwriting on the wall, so to speak.

---Bob Gross---
robertwgross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd of June 2004 (Wed)   #7
danphoto1

I have a Mamiya 645 it makes a great paperweight. I think that I shot about four or five rolls of B&W film and developed it and enlarged a few prints learning some basic darkroom and print tecniques. I learned so much more in a seminars at the New England Camera Club. ID and the 10D are great machines as far as I am concerned. I still look back at some the images that I took with my first D30. I love it. I can't get enough of it there is always something new and exciting to learn
danphoto1 is offline   Reply With Quote