Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Photo Sharing' section > Macro
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 2nd of August 2007 (Thu)   #1
iseeihear

Default How To Make Completely Dark Background

I read a book on Macro photography. It says to make a dark background just use a flash but I don't understand - if you shoot outdoor, how can this be archeived?
iseeihear is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 2nd of August 2007 (Thu)   #2
LordV
Macro Photo-Lord of the Year 2006

Default Re: How To Make Completely Dark Background

Quote:
Originally Posted by iseeihear View Post
I read a book on Macro photography. It says to make a dark background just use a flash but I don't understand - if you shoot outdoor, how can this be archeived?
If you do a flash shot with nothing within about 6" behind the subject then the light fall off is such that the picture will appear with a black background. This assumes you are using low ISO setting fastish shutter speed (1/200th) and aperture around F11 say.

brian V
Canon 600D, Canon 40D, Canon 5D mk2, Tamron 90mm macro, Canon MPE-65,18-55 kit lens X2, canon 200mm F2.8 L, Tamron 28-70mm xrdi, Other assorted bits
LordV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd of August 2007 (Thu)   #3
iseeihear

LordV,

Do you mind explaining a bit more?

I have a 30D, EF100mm f/2.8 macro lens and a 430EX. When I use Av mode to set to F11, isn't the the camera set the shutter automatically? How can I specify a shutter speed of 1/200 or faster?

TQ
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 2nd of August 2007 (Thu)   #4
zippy25
Goldmember

Quote:
LordV,

I have a 30D, EF100mm f/2.8 macro lens and a 430EX. When I use Av mode to set to F11, isn't the the camera set the shutter automatically? How can I specify a shutter speed of 1/200 or faster?

TQ
Try M mode, and set both there...

Childhood is measured out by sounds and smells and sights, before the dark hour of reason grows"
zippy25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd of August 2007 (Thu)   #5
LordV
Macro Photo-Lord of the Year 2006

Quote:
LordV,

TQ
As David says above- this is with the camera in M mode- in Av or Tv modes the camera will do a normal exposure for the light but add a bit of fill flash - not what you want in this case.
Brian V.
Canon 600D, Canon 40D, Canon 5D mk2, Tamron 90mm macro, Canon MPE-65,18-55 kit lens X2, canon 200mm F2.8 L, Tamron 28-70mm xrdi, Other assorted bits
LordV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd of August 2007 (Thu)   #6
RacEcaR

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordV View Post
If you do a flash shot with nothing within about 6" behind the subject then the light fall off is such that the picture will appear with a black background. This assumes you are using low ISO setting fastish shutter speed (1/200th) and aperture around F11 say.

brian V
I am also interested in this subject

I just tied that exact combination with my 350D (indoor) and the backround is very bright. more info on this subject would be great...
"A photograph never grows old. You and I change, people change all through the months and years, but a photograph always remains the same. How nice to look at a photograph of mother or father taken many years ago. You see them as you remember them. But as people live on, they change completely. That is why I think a photograph can be kind."
-Albert Einstein
RacEcaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd of August 2007 (Thu)   #7
Steelydan

Set Camera To M
Select Aperture to f16 - f22
Shutter Speed to 1/100 sec
Let TTL do metering

You should have a black background.Never tried this method but read it on another forum for photographing a white Lilly
Steelydan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd of August 2007 (Thu)   #8
RacEcaR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelydan View Post
Set Camera To M
Select Aperture to f16 - f22
Shutter Speed to 1/100 sec
Let TTL do metering

You should have a black background.Never tried this method but read it on another forum for photographing a white Lilly
thanks. sinse you never tried it heres the proof, I used f/18.
"A photograph never grows old. You and I change, people change all through the months and years, but a photograph always remains the same. How nice to look at a photograph of mother or father taken many years ago. You see them as you remember them. But as people live on, they change completely. That is why I think a photograph can be kind."
-Albert Einstein
RacEcaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd of August 2007 (Thu)   #9
DavidPhoto

A little explanation: with flash, the flash power is controlled by your aperture while ISO+shutter speed control ambient light. So if you use a low ISO and a high shutter speed the ambient light will be minimized and hopefully black.
It was far from pitch dark when these were taken.

Last edited by DavidPhoto : 2nd of August 2007 (Thu) at 19:53.
DavidPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd of August 2007 (Thu)   #10
Jostel

Here is my shot.

It was taken with my Minolta gear. A Minolta Maxim film camera and a Minolta 70-210 Lens. This was shot about 7 years ago.
I have no clue what settings I used, but I remember I was about 10' from the Peace Rose. It was bout 2pm on a warm, sunny afternoon.
When I received the pictures back from the lab, I was blown away!!! I had no idea how I shot this photo, in bright daylight, and yet it had no light in the back ground!!! well, maybe not entirely true, as the scan shows the stem, leaves, and thorns somewhat...
At that time, I thought this shot was the cats-a**, let me tell you!!!!
It still hangs on my wall, above my computer, cuz it really was the first 'real' photograph I ever took!!! and I must add, it was what inspired me to keep going..

(Mind you, this is a scan, as yes, this was originally on film!!!!! and lord only knows where the negative is!!!!)(oh yeah, no fill flash. I would never have dreamed of using a flash in the daytime!! sheesh!!!!!)

50D; 30D; Digital Rebel;
70-200 L ; 75-300 IS USM; 10-22; 50mm; Quantaray 28-90 ; 420EX; kenko tube, Tamron SPAF90mm Macro

Last edited by Jostel : 2nd of August 2007 (Thu) at 19:41.
Jostel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd of August 2007 (Fri)   #11
wayne_eddy

from experience you need to use a small aperture and a fast shutter speed and lots of light on the subject.

@ max ss of 200 with a pop up flash that can be hard to achive but with a hot shoue flash you can do it, just experiment with it.

I was using this technique a lot a few years ago, but grew to understand the merit of good bokeh and now try to get some good creamy bground instead.
wayne_eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd of August 2007 (Fri)   #12
mkuriger

as long as your flash is set to full power, it should completely overpower all ambient light until the background appears black.
Canon 5D Mark II | Canon 30D | Canon 17-55mm F2.8 IS | Canon 70-200mm F4L | Canon 24-70mm F2.8L
mkuriger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th of August 2007 (Sat)   #13
iseeihear

Thanks all.

With your help, I was able to make my very 1st marco with completely dark background!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9596B.jpg (33.6 KB, 105 views)